Warship Throtle Response

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

milesjb

Warship Throtle Response

Post by milesjb »

I have a SAG consisting of 3 ships. I am trying to bring them into weapons range of an enemy ship by approaching at high speed. For awhile one would only move at 4 knots and the other two at 7 & 8 kts. None of them are set to avoid cavitation. I've set them all to Full throttle. Two have now moved to 25 kts, but one will go no faster than 12.5 kts. None of them are damaged. Can anyone tell me why 2 initially failed to respond to orders and one still won't ?
Cik

RE: Warship Throtle Response

Post by Cik »

are they set to slow down to keep formation with a slower ship?
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

FWIW - On the one boat in question that is still a problem, one thing that comes to mind (without any other info) to check is if it's the leader of the group make sure it's not 'slowing down to reform group', which will flash with words to that effect in it's status field on the unit-view if I recall. There is a check box on the group-view of units to disable 'group lead can slow down'. I run into that one all the time with surface fleets.
milesjb

Post by milesjb »

Thanks KnightHawk, I think you may have found my answer. That may have been the problem since "leader slowing down to regroup"
was checked. We'll see what happens in the future. So much to learn about this game, but what fun !
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I don't actually know when "leader can slow down to regroup" would be useful...for me it's always been pain in the a$$...
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

rmunie0613

Post by rmunie0613 »

"Allow lead to reduce speed to reform" actually is helpful, especially on moderate-to-long transits. Without that- *IF* you have ships with various speeds, as a example, most of the American AO-type replenishment vessels attached to CSF/CVBG type groups...the faster ships will pull away from their slower HVUs, who will be unable to keep up...eventually, a mile or two at a time over the hours, will no longer be in your center protected.
On shorter scenarios where you are "only fighting" though it probably won't matter fast enough to make a difference.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”