[WAD] Russian KAB-1500 Penetrator bombs

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

De Savage

[WAD] Russian KAB-1500 Penetrator bombs

Post by De Savage »

There seems to be bug or feature (?) that Russian KAB-1500Kr-Pr TV/EO [penetrator] bombs cannot target Underground hardenet bunkers. LGB Kab-1500 target these fine. Is this intentional or bug?

The problem here is that Russia have only older platforms (Su-24) that can carry penetrators. Newer Su-30 or Su-35 carries only TV/EO version and currently it's impossible to use these KAB-1500 TV version. Hopefully this will be fixed.
Dimitris

RE: Russian KAB-1500 Penetrator bombs

Post by Dimitris »

I suspect this is similar to this report: tm.asp?m=4567163

As in that case, because the weapon is EO-guided, it needs something to lock on to, and an underground bunker does not provide that something. Laser-guided weapons can be used, because you can always point the laser at the spot on the ground where you think the bunker is located under.
De Savage

Post by De Savage »

Similar case indeed. I guess you could lock to rock, tree or chimney over the bunker with EO-guide too. But not sure how COMMAND simulate this. Anyway seems odd, because older freefall bombs and laser guided works well. Just wanted to inform if other wonder why these penetrators can't be used.

Thanks for answer.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

ORIGINAL: De Savage
I guess you could lock to rock, tree or chimney over the bunker with EO-guide too. But not sure how COMMAND simulate this.

This is why I wish there were more db entries for point targets like, "air shaft opening," and what not. The truth is that most major facilities are not a single aimpoint, but instead are constituted of multiple aimpoints. In the case of a bunker facility, there might be multiple underground bunkers, connected by tunnels, with a tunnel entrance, ventilation shafts, transformers, above-ground communications antenna and generator facility. A strike might attempt to hit any or all of those using different combinations of weapons (e.g. the bunkers might be targeted with MOPs, the entrance with BLU-109s, and the communications antennas with Mk-84s). I wish more people extended the way that airbases are built to other facility types as well. You could, for example, build an oil refinery consisting of the refining building itself, multiple administrative buildings, POL storage tanks, and several pipeline junctions. The need for multiple weapons effects at the same target site drives the need for larger strikes, more sophisticated weaponeering and more complex tactics.

Return to “Tech Support”