TOAWxml Editor

Post new mods and scenarios here
76mm

RE: TOAW XML Editor

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28
Did you already posted in 1.9 the version that addresses the strange character problem (possibly the runes)?
No; I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this now, but have not figured it out yet.

But I looked at Directive 21, and it has dozens of units and formations with invalid characters of some sort; here is one example:

Attachments
D211.jpg
D211.jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 108 times
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Here is another:

Attachments
D212.jpg
D212.jpg (130.6 KiB) Viewed 108 times
76mm

Post by 76mm »

As mentioned, I am working on how to deal with these characters and expect to eventually figure something, but if want to start working on Directive 21 (or other affected scenarios) right now, you could replace the invalid characters with something else, and it should work.

I will also take a look at FITE and Kharkov 42. Note that most of the testing I do on TOAWxml is on East Front WWII scenarios, and I have not encountered this problem except in the scenarios mentioned by people in this thread.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I just now downloaded the famous TOAW XML Editor, [I'm running WIN7] unzipped it into it's own folder and clicked on setup.exe and I got an error message and here it is:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
System.Deployment.dll : 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
clr.dll : 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
dfdll.dll : 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///C:/Users/god/Documents/My%20Games/TOAW%20XML%20EDITOR/TOAWXML.application
Application url : file:///C:/Users/god/Documents/My%20Games/TOAW%20XML%20EDITOR/Application%20Files/TOAWXML_1_0_0_10/TOAWXML.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : TOAWXML.application, Version=1.0.0.10, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bb51667b7c9905d2, processorArchitecture=msil
Application Identity : TOAWXML.exe, Version=1.0.0.10, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bb51667b7c9905d2, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of C:\Users\god\Documents\My Games\TOAW XML EDITOR\TOAWXML.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Culture is not supported.
Parameter name: name
dje is an invalid culture identifier.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [1/23/2019 3:49:41 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\god\Documents\My Games\TOAW XML EDITOR\TOAWXML.application has started.
* [1/23/2019 3:49:49 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
* [1/23/2019 3:49:49 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
* [1/23/2019 3:49:49 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
* [1/23/2019 3:50:15 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
* [1/23/2019 3:50:15 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [1/23/2019 3:50:15 PM] System.Globalization.CultureNotFoundException
- Culture is not supported.
Parameter name: name
dje is an invalid culture identifier.
- Source: mscorlib
- Stack trace:
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..ctor(String name, Boolean useUserOverride)
at System.Deployment.Application.AssemblyMetaDataImport.ConstructAssemblyName(IntPtr asmMetaPtr, Char[] asmNameBuf, UInt32 asmNameLength, IntPtr pubKeyPtr, UInt32 pubKeyBytes, UInt32 flags)
at System.Deployment.Application.AssemblyMetaDataImport.ImportIdentity()
at System.Deployment.Application.AssemblyMetaDataImport.get_Name()
at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.LoadFromCompLibAssembly(String filePath)
at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.LoadFromInternalManifestFile(String filePath)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.ProcessDownloadedFile(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.DownloadModifiedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.OnModified()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've gotten relatively good at programming/fixing specific issues but have no idea about these installation issues...

Larry, your message says "-Culture is not supported"... Which OS do you have installed?

If anyone with C# experience would be willing to help me figure out these installation issues it would be most appreciated...

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I've gotten relatively good at programming/fixing specific issues but have no idea about these installation issues...

Larry, your message says "-Culture is not supported"... Which OS do you have installed?

If anyone with C# experience would be willing to help me figure out these installation issues it would be most appreciated...

I found this:

Re: Culture is not supported
I don't know how I missed this, but here's what I found that allowed me to resolve the issue.

In my application's settings, under "Publish" there's a "Application Files" option. Turns out, there were about 12 "cultures" listed, including the dje-NE culture which was throwing the error. I have Excluded them from the application under "Publish Status" and the issue is now resolved.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Lobster, thanks for that; after some digging I also found that the dje culture was included, so I've now excluded it. Since I never included it in the first place, seems like a rather strange error to arise...

I'm getting close to fixing the invalid xml character problem, will post a revised version once that is finished.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

In my application's settings, under "Publish" there's a "Application Files" option. Turns out, there were about 12 "cultures" listed, including the dje-NE culture which was throwing the error. I have Excluded them from the application under "Publish Status" and the issue is now resolved.
I can't figure out how to do this. And I can't start the application to access it's menu because it won't install. I have no idea how you did what you did to fix it.

EDIT: I'm running Win7
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Lobster, thanks for that; after some digging I also found that the dje culture was included, so I've now excluded it.
Are you going to produce a new version? My version doesn't work.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I can't figure out how to do this. And I can't start the application to access it's menu because it won't install. I have no idea how you did what you did to fix it.
You can't change it, it is in the programming environment.
Are you going to produce a new version? My version doesn't work.
Yes, in fact I have already created a new version that will *hopefully* fix this issue and the invalid XML character error which several people have encountered. Will try to compile and post it today.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've just uploaded a new version (v1.12, see first post in thread) in which I hope that I've fixed three problems:
1) the problem with the GUI where some forms are cut off;
2) the problem with invalid xml characters that several people have encountered (see below); and
3) the installation problem that Larry encountered with the "culture" issue.

For the xml characters, TOAWxml now checks when you load a gam file to see if there are any invalid characters, and if so, it replaces them with a capital letter "Z". Note that these characters also do not display properly in the game, so the best thing would be for scenario designers to not use these characters. In the meantime, if you don't like seeing "5th ZZ Panzer Div", etc., then you can go into gam file with Notepad++, etc. to replace the Zs with whatever you want... In any event, with this change I can open Directive 21, FITE2, and Kharkov 1943 with no problems.

If you encounter more problems, PLEASE let me know, including the name of the scenario and which OS you are using, including language. If I can replicate a problem, I can generally fix it, but if I can't replicate it I can't fix it...
joey

Post by joey »

What are considered invalid characters? I am not sure I follow your meaning.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey Tom: That new version fixed the install problem I had and I successfully read a GAM file and looked around the scenario and it worked pretty well, IMHO. Is there a tool like this for the EQP file?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Hey Tom: That new version fixed the install problem I had and I successfully read a GAM file and looked around the scenario and it worked pretty well, IMHO.
Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.
Is there a tool like this for the EQP file?
Not yet, but I'll be working on that soon...although first I'll add the ability to add new equipment to existing scenarios, then I guess an equipment editor. Is that what you have in mind?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: joey
What are considered invalid characters? I am not sure I follow your meaning.
Invalid characters are those characters which throw an error such as: "System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x1F, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1," which several people have encountered.

See posts #141 and #142 in this thread. That's about all I know about them.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Hey Tom: That new version fixed the install problem I had and I successfully read a GAM file and looked around the scenario and it worked pretty well, IMHO.
Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.
Is there a tool like this for the EQP file?
Not yet, but I'll be working on that soon...although first I'll add the ability to add new equipment to existing scenarios, then I guess an equipment editor. Is that what you have in mind?
Yes indeed. It would add to the toolset the scenario designer can use to tweak his creation. It would accellerate the creation of masterpieces.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yes indeed. It would add to the toolset the scenario designer can use to tweak his creation. It would accellerate the creation of masterpieces.
OK, this is on the drawing boards; not sure yet how complicated it will be or how long it will take, but I'm starting to figure this XML stuff out, so hopefully not too long.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Next up is dealing with divided units...any particular features that would be helpful with divided units? IIRC you can't revise force structures in the in-game editor if any units are divided, although I'm not sure why that would be the case...

Currently, my thinking with divided units is:
1) have most of the attributes for divided units greyed out, so that they can't be edited (you would have to edit the divided sub-units instead).
2) the only attribute for divided units which would remain enabled is "Deployment", and to reassemble divided units into a single unit again you could simply change the deployment from "Divided" to something else, with the location of the reassembled unit set to one of the subunits.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

IIRC you can't revise force structures in the in-game editor if any units are divided,
I seem to remember something about this and I think the workaround was to edit it as XML. The ingame
editor can't seem to handle divided units when it's reading the file in, I think. I haven't experienced
the phenomenom yet myself so I have no idea what else to do besides put the unit back together and THEN
read it into the editor. And then once it's finished then separate the pieces??
76mm

Post by 76mm »

...I think the workaround was to edit it as XML. The ingame
editor can't seem to handle divided units when it's reading the file in, I think. I haven't experienced the phenomenom yet myself so I have no idea what else to do besides put the unit back together and THEN read it into the editor. And then once it's finished then separate the pieces??
I think I should be able to simplify this process by allowing units to be edited while divided, although I'm sure I haven't thought through some of the issues yet. I guess the main thing is to make sure that the divided unit and the subunits stay in sync while the unit is divided.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”