TopEverest vs Admiral Kamikaze - the rematch

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

topeverest

progress

Post by topeverest »

The first turn of the winter season is finished, but I post one turn in arrears. when I get the next turn, I will post results of the first combat turn, which I hope to be within 12 hours
Andy M
topeverest

Guard army composition

Post by topeverest »

Here is a look at representative Guard tank and guard armies

They all look pretty similar

PROBLEM - I feel now that I should have built

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (311.76 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
M60A3TTS

RE: Guard army composition

Post by M60A3TTS »

Please tell us that Maks Reiter of 1st Guards Tank Army no longer has a mech rating of 3.
topeverest

reiter

Post by topeverest »

the game has treated him well...

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (117.56 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 178 November 9, 1944

Post by topeverest »

FIRST WINTER TURN ----- 20 turns remaining in combat season ----- around 30 hexes of progress needed to reach season goals

VP - 160 (-1) Proskurov falls to assault
Trucks - 158 / (155)
AP usage - reorganized 2nd Baltic front - releasing 2 army HQ - disband support units tied to artillery and rail armies. Minor attachments

The first turn of snow proceeds more or less to plan. Enemy did not pull back this mud season, save about 10-15 hexes around Leningrad. he still sits on the Dnepr at the Pripyat.

1. main attack starts the drive on Tarnopol. makes three hexes, which is good progress. but enemy has pooled about 15 armor and mech units at the Joryn / Zbiuch rivers. he clearly intends to fight there. I brought up 5 armor armies to force the issue
2. in Romania, Russian and Romanian forces begin to attempt to force the three western-most passes, and I sent a couple armies of mountain divisions straight through the mountains in an attempt to gain ground quicker. The real fighting should begin next turn
3. similar to the Tarnopol fight, the Red armor was refitting 10 hexes to the read to gain maximum benefit. Aside - these three armies of armor still have not reached full experience, as they were created in February 1944. In any event, the armor and cavalry in the Minsk attack play no part this turn. They all have reached the vicinity of the battlefield and will be available next turn
4. At Leningrad, Russians have amassed 4 armies, including an all inf guard corps army and a armor / cav army. Additionally, supporting this assault is an army of 8 artillery and rocket divisions. The first turn saw one fortified hex taken with ease, and some grinding on the other 3 hexes in the MLR. I hope to clear Leningrad by December
Andy M
topeverest

Strategic Map

Post by topeverest »

This should explain troop deployments and intentions

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 179 November 16, 1944

Post by topeverest »

VP 156 Minsk and Pskov fall to the Red Menace
Trucks 174 / 195 (BUMMER!)
AP usage - built a few more rail engineers so that my 5 rail armies each have at least 5. Disbanded support units not needed

Russians wield their armor to better effect. Germans finally give up their remaining positions on the Dnepr and begin a westward march

1. ON the Dvina river, which dumps out at Riga, Russian armor was poised for an attack in a SW direction to pry open the way to Brandenburg, but once the enemy line was pierced, I spied an opportunity to get much further by driving west and keeping the river on m left flank as protection from enemy armor in the vicinity. Enemy will have to make a tough decision if to try to stop the break or give up the real estate NE of Riga
2. Grinding attacks take Minsk against heavy resistance, but they do serve to hold the main enemy resistance away from the break frther north
3. Enemy begins the withdrawal of the eastern Pripyat marsh
4. At the main Red effort, Russians release more armor and it attacks north, driving to the Pripyat effectively trapping a large German force to retreat through the marshes. It wont be a factor in the Drive to Lvov. Also in the area, Russian forces Steamroller grind attack due west and reach the Goryn Zhubruch river defenses east of tarnopol. The main German armor presence is there
5. In Romania, Russains continue to grind on the three mountain pass / exits and make small to modest gains. Russian forces are poised to take Brasov next turn in northern Romania

Andy M
topeverest

Romania

Post by topeverest »

As expected, Romania is a grind, and I cannot deploy most of the force to attack

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (437.71 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
topeverest

Tarnopol

Post by topeverest »

here is the main effort - Armor pushes north to the Pripyat, forcing enemy to the east to use the marsh to retreat while the main force attacks west and reaches the next river

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (834.97 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
topeverest

Minsk

Post by topeverest »

Here is where the armor attack I planned changed objectives during the turn. Initially I planned merely to get around and drive south, but the way u the Dvina was open...

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (366.86 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
topeverest

Losses

Post by topeverest »

Here is a view of the number of support units I have recently disbanded

Air and ground losses are fine. Doing better managing AFV losses.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (301.56 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
M60A3TTS

RE: Minsk

Post by M60A3TTS »

Nicely done. Your game play over time has greatly improved, and now it's just a matter of continuing to build on what you've picked up. There is probably not enough time to pull out a win now, but give it your best shot. Keep the focus on the western direction, he has start falling back across much of the front very soon in order to avoid major losses. Don't get a lot of your troops bogged down in the Pripyat, just keep charging to the west.

Do you have an intact rail line through Rumania now?
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Double post
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Thanks for all the words of guidance and encouragement.

I agree that the time and distance math does not favor the Reds but I wont give up.

Ironically so much of the advice you and others tried to give me earlier is beginning to make sense.

I genuinely like this simulation, and my hat's off to the superior design and play testing work done here.

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Nicely done. Your game play over time has greatly improved, and now it's just a matter of continuing to build on what you've picked up. There is probably not enough time to pull out a win now, but give it your best shot. Keep the focus on the western direction, he has start falling back across much of the front very soon in order to avoid major losses. Don't get a lot of your troops bogged down in the Pripyat, just keep charging to the west.

Do you have an intact rail line through Rumania now?
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 181 November 30, 1944

Post by topeverest »

VP - 152 recently captured cities - Brasov, Sibiu, Pushkin, Culpino
Trucks - 167 / (183) - this is bad. All my bad truck management in 42 is coming home to roost
AP usage - 81 points banked -did quite a bit of support unit disbanding. In a quandary now as need artillery, but late in game and negative trucks. So not building. Next game.

Russian Steamroller continues - - - - -
1. Pushkin and Culpino, the city hexes adjacent and south of Leningrad fall to a sieging front now including 3 guard armies. These gard units will be sent west for the drive on Warsaw once Leningrad complex is secure
2. Germany abandons all ground east of Daugava river / Riga and lingering units are still making for the new MLR. Russian armor advanced well beyond the range of attached infantry, and the assault on Riga ground to a halt 10 hexes from the coast. Infantry is now up at the MLR and the assault will continue, but towards Memel. There is about 2 hexes of rough, woods, or marsh terrain on the south / west side of the Daugava, and then the terrain opens up and will be well suited for armored advance towards Danzig
3. Infantry continues to fight its way west at about 1.5 hexes per turn from Minsk against heavy resistance
4. Axis forces continue a general retreat west in Pripyat
5. At the Rovno Tarnopol front, heavy fighting continues to occur. Germans execute a local armored counterattack and save Tarnopol from capture, but Russian strength busts the 2 rivers defense (Goryn Zubiuch) after titanic battles.
6. Russian armor and infantry drives south from the Tarnopol area and nearly reaches Chernovsktsy against light resistance
7. In Romania, Red forces pursue a battle of maneuver against a porous enemy MLR, taking Brasov and crossing the Oit river. In the westernmost mountain pass, the enemy threw his greatest strength but it still being outmaneuvered because of not enough units to cover the MLR
Andy M
M60A3TTS

RE: Turn 181 November 30, 1944

Post by M60A3TTS »

You haven't lost many air transports and that raises the question if you are deploying many. Now is the time to have 15-20 regiments worth concentrated so you can resupply a portion of your advanced guard along one of your main attack routes. I don't think experience matters much with transports, so you can still get a benefit from them almost immediately after they are deployed.
topeverest

RE: Turn 181 November 30, 1944

Post by topeverest »

I have to say that I probably would NOT have thought of supplying my ground forces with my own air to supplement my trucks. I need to build more transports, so this will take a month.

Aside -- I was in the middle of deciding how to transform the air force, now that partisans are almost a thing of the past.

I was just so happy with myself for figuring out the rail army solution that I stopped thinking about how to improve it further. I just accepted it and disbanded AA
ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

You haven't lost many air transports and that raises the question if you are deploying many. Now is the time to have 15-20 regiments worth concentrated so you can resupply a portion of your advanced guard along one of your main attack routes. I don't think experience matters much with transports, so you can still get a benefit from them almost immediately after they are deployed.
Andy M
topeverest

RE: Turn 181 Strategic Map

Post by topeverest »

This map I believe shows all the key events and objectives.

Note the German local armored counterattack near tarnopol

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M
topeverest

Rail Engineers

Post by topeverest »

So I have 145 Rail Engineer Brigades attached to armies.

ONLY 57 are on map at this time.

So I assume the owning HQ must be on a rail and a break needs to be within 20 hexes. I don't understand why more aren't deploying.
Andy M
topeverest

Unit Composition

Post by topeverest »

I made comments to my downsizing

41 support units disbanded this month

NOTE only 43 rocket launcher and artillery divisions. I built at least 20 too few for what I think I need

Attachments
2222.jpg
2222.jpg (327.79 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Andy M

Return to “After Action Reports”