2 day turns - thoughts and opinions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

erstad

RE: 2 day turns - thoughts and opinions

Post by erstad »

Has anyone tested: When you change the turn cycle from two days to one, is the one day you get is identical to the the first day of the two day cycle, does the act of changing modifies the seed in some way?

I've played two day turns almost exclusively in PBEM (although I've been on hiatus for a bit) including games that have gotten deep into 1945. Every so often, something happens that is egregiously bad, it would be nice to have a house rule that in rare circumstances, one could ask for the first day to be replayed and get a chance to enter new orders for the second day. You'd want the bar to be high, e.g., if there's a sighting or early contact you don't want to be replaying for that, slowed reaction time is part of the challenge (and arguably advantage) of the two day turns, but if there's a crippling CV exchange on day 1 and on day 2 the remaining carriers continue charging forward only to be slaughtered, that might count. But, you wouldn't want to have the results of the first day to be changed. The idea isn't to give someone another random shot at coming out ahead.

By the way, I did play a PBEM in the original WITP into 45 using 3 day turns. That was not my cup of tea. There's a lot of potential for "bad" outcomes without some ability to react. And routinely you might not want your air groups doing the same mission (or non-mission) three days in a row. Two day turns still allow for some amount of rotating/resting/etc.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

erstad, with the command line flag enabled, the Turn Cycle can only be changed by the Japanese player, during their orders phase. Turn resolution from the previous day/days is already completed before you could change the number of days. If you wanted to perform a "do over" you would have to go back to the Japanese orders phase of the previous turn, have that player change to 1 day turns, then the Allied player would have to enter all of their orders again. When the next turn resolution is run, it will only be fore 1 day, but I'm sure the random number generator seed would be changed for the 1st day of the "do over".
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
mogami

Post by mogami »

I cannot even imagine playing anything other then 1 day turns. I have watched too many disasters begin on day 1 of multiple day turns. I am never in so much of a hurry to finish the game.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

erstad, with the command line flag enabled, the Turn Cycle can only be changed by the Japanese player, during their orders phase. Turn resolution from the previous day/days is already completed before you could change the number of days. If you wanted to perform a "do over" you would have to go back to the Japanese orders phase of the previous turn, have that player change to 1 day turns, then the Allied player would have to enter all of their orders again. When the next turn resolution is run, it will only be fore 1 day, but I'm sure the random number generator seed would be changed for the 1st day of the "do over".

Ah, I didn't understand it changed during the Japanese orders phase. That's unfortunate. It would be very handy if the Japanese player could change it prior to turn resolution. Or, just to remove the small cheat opportunity (*), it would actually be nice if there was a way for the allied player to change it on a committed turn.

I wouldn't want to play with someone who wanted to be continually changing and redoing, but I could see, for example, giving each player an annual opportunity to back up and only run day 1 for a certain class of day 1 disasters.

(*) IJ could run both 1 and 2 day, and inspect things at the end of day 1 which would not be available to the Allied plaer.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

2 day turns is like reading the Readers Digest version of Winds of War.
mogami

Post by mogami »

^ KEK

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”