IJA 26th Tank Regiment

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

el cid again

IJA 26th Tank Regiment

Post by el cid again »

Having decided to review every Japanese tank regiment, I discovered one was missing. Now there
are cases where we leave tank regiments out of some RHS scenarios. In Japan Enhanced Scenarios,
we do not shed division recon regiments and turn them into tank regiments late in the war (while
in strictly historical scenarios, we do). This is different. It appears never to have been in AE,
even in full stock scenario number 1.

I got the initial data about the regiment from a web site devoted to IJA armor organization. This site
lists all divisions, brigades and regiments. However, the site incorrectly listed the date of formation
of the regiment as 1944. It did provide a hint that its commander was a famous competitor in the Olympics!
Also that the regiment fought on Iwo Jima. From these hints, I was able to find the full name of the
commander, Baron Takeichi Nishi, and to learn that the regiment formed even sooner than stated: not later than
1943, when he was promoted to Lt. Col. as its commander, where he had been previously commanding as a major. The
regiment lost all 28 of its tanks en route to the island (but only 2 men), but had obtained 22 replacements before
the battle began. The regiment had Type 95 light and Type 97 heavy tanks. Nishi was posted to the regiment
sometime between his promotion to Major in March, 1939 and the occasion of his further promotion to Lt. Col.
in August, 1943. The regiment formed in what is called Mudanjiang in a biographic article, and Mudankiang on some
maps. In fact, its official Japanese name during the period Manchukuo was dominated by Japan was Botankou, a
change only made to RHS maps this month.
Hrafnagud

RE: IJA 26th Tank Regiment

Post by Hrafnagud »

The 26th and 27th Tank "Regiments" were simply the reconnaissance battalions of the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions, renamed. These reconnaissance battalions had two light tank companies (20 Type 95 lights), a gun tank company (10 Type 97 mediums), a rifle company and a maintenance company. These units were raised, along with the rest of the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions, in June 1942.

When IGHQ formally disbanded the Mechanized Army in November 1943, these reconnaissance battalions were made independent and renamed as 26th (1st Tank Division recce) and 27th (2nd Division recce) Tank Regiments, and added to the Army's order of battle. In other words, in November 1943 the recce battalions of the two Kwantung-based tank divisions were spun out into independent tank regiments.

The 26th Tank Regiment was based at Ning'an, near Botenkou (which is of course where its parent, 1st Tank Division, was based).

In April 1944, both ex-recce battalions were reorganized with tank company personnel reduced to offset the addition of an artillery company and engineer company to both. As a result of the reorganization, the 26th and 27th Tank Regiments had an authorized strength of 709 men organized in one light tank company, two medium tank companies, a rifle company, an artillery company and an engineer company.

These reorganized regiments had a total of 12 Type 95 light tanks, 25 Type 97 medium tanks, and four 75mm field guns drawn by 6-ton tractors (the artillery ended up bring used in the anti-armor role). The engineers were specially trained in mine warfare, demolition, and road repair and maintenance.

The 26th Tank Regiment was sent to Saipan from Ning'an, Manchukuo by ship transport in June 1944 but was rerouted to Iwo Jima after Saipan fell. The 27th Tank Regiment was shipped to Okinawa in July 1944. Both were destroyed during the fighting on those islands.
Kereguelen

Post by Kereguelen »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Having decided to review every Japanese tank regiment, I discovered one was missing. Now there
are cases where we leave tank regiments out of some RHS scenarios. In Japan Enhanced Scenarios,
we do not shed division recon regiments and turn them into tank regiments late in the war (while
in strictly historical scenarios, we do). This is different. It appears never to have been in AE,
even in full stock scenario number 1.

It was, of course, in stock scenario 1 since the AE was released. And Baron Tekeichi Nichi as a leader as well. You just didn't look hard enough[;)]
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Thank you. I can independently confirm most of this from what I have learned in the last few weeks
But I appreciate the reply.

ORIGINAL: Hrafnagud

The 26th and 27th Tank "Regiments" were simply the reconnaissance battalions of the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions, renamed. These reconnaissance battalions had two light tank companies (20 Type 95 lights), a gun tank company (10 Type 97 mediums), a rifle company and a maintenance company. These units were raised, along with the rest of the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions, in June 1942.

When IGHQ formally disbanded the Mechanized Army in November 1943, these reconnaissance battalions were made independent and renamed as 26th (1st Tank Division recce) and 27th (2nd Division recce) Tank Regiments, and added to the Army's order of battle. In other words, in November 1943 the recce battalions of the two Kwantung-based tank divisions were spun out into independent tank regiments.

The 26th Tank Regiment was based at Ning'an, near Botenkou (which is of course where its parent, 1st Tank Division, was based).

In April 1944, both ex-recce battalions were reorganized with tank company personnel reduced to offset the addition of an artillery company and engineer company to both. As a result of the reorganization, the 26th and 27th Tank Regiments had an authorized strength of 709 men organized in one light tank company, two medium tank companies, a rifle company, an artillery company and an engineer company.

These reorganized regiments had a total of 12 Type 95 light tanks, 25 Type 97 medium tanks, and four 75mm field guns drawn by 6-ton tractors (the artillery ended up bring used in the anti-armor role). The engineers were specially trained in mine warfare, demolition, and road repair and maintenance.

The 26th Tank Regiment was sent to Saipan from Ning'an, Manchukuo by ship transport in June 1944 but was rerouted to Iwo Jima after Saipan fell. The 27th Tank Regiment was shipped to Okinawa in July 1944. Both were destroyed during the fighting on those islands.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”