KB has gone MIA

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jecunningham

KB has gone MIA

Post by jecunningham »

I'm playing my 1st full campaign as Allied vs. the computer AI on hard difficulty. It's May 1943 and I haven't seen a significant Japanese surface or air combat TF threaten any of my amphibious landing operations around PM-Milne-Buna, Guadalcanal, or the Gilbert Islands in 3 or 4 months. Is that typical when playing against the AI?
Lecivius

RE: KB has gone MIA

Post by Lecivius »

AI will break up KB after the first few months of the war.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jecunningham

Post by jecunningham »

That's good to know, I knew I wasn't ready to face a 4-5 CV group in 42 so was nibbling around the edges and dodging away. But my headline was a bit misleading, I haven't seen any reaction at all, no offensive TFs of any size, anywhere in the active operations areas since the end of 42, almost 5 months now. It's like the entire Japanese navy has picked up and moved back to Japan.
JoV

Post by JoV »

Based on my experience against the AI, no, that's not typical. But in a good way. Usually, the issue with the AI is its tendency to yolo its naval assets indiscriminately well before this date. Knowing that its navy is still in being, keeping you on your toes for a while, is a highly positive outcome, from a long-term game point of view [:D]
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

sounds odd....I would go in game as head-head and see what gives.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I play the AI. It does not sound odd to me, at this point in the game. Have you seen otherwise? (genuinely curious)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

I'm currently playing Scen 10 Ironman against the Jap AI. The AI tried to get Noumea in June 1942 and made some sightseeing tours with KB in the Coral Sea down to Sydney and smacked my carriers really hard. When trying to invade Guadalcanal in Aug 1942 he reacted again with KB, sinking some carriers and lots of transports. [8|]I'm now in June 1944 and have not seen KB or any major surface force since Aug 1942.
jecunningham

Post by jecunningham »

Good idea pontiouspilot (p.s. I was born in Nova Scotia). I went in and looked, the KB itself was up around TRUK and now a few turns later it showed up on the strategic map along with a 2nd CVL task force staging a major raid through the Marshall Islands and headed toward Johnston Island.
jecunningham

Post by jecunningham »

Lecivius, I was curious because the AI reacted instantly to my Guadalcanal landing, kept the KB circling around Lunga for several months after. Then they left and were gone for 4-5 months. But they just returned in a big way, so all good.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Disclaimer: I am only moderately experienced compared to many on this forum.

In a somewhat related thread previously a 'poster' complained the KB was "stuck" on the main forum.

I would guess that it is entirely situational based upon how many ships - especially transports - you have sunk against the Japanese AI. As indicated above the - the AI could be marshaling enough ships to invade an island / base still in its script queue - and has parked the KB or a portion of the KB awaiting the marshaling of enough ships. If you have sunk "so many" it may even build barges to mount the operation.

The further changed by the random script (1-5 historic)( 6-11 historic +) from start game.

Above all by May 1943 you really really need to Naval Search / Naval Search / Naval Search and Recon / Recon / Recon and when you think you have enough coverage – add more !

Use precious points and buy out a number of Catalina and Liberator PBY squadrons from the west coast. Get them forward everywhere – every base – every island – overlap.

In my limited experience I have generally seen the KB "park" for example

1) Hollandia / Truk if I mounted major offenses through the Solomon's and New Guinea. It was building supply and ships though “AI” function to attack / contest bases I passed by or emptied

2) Kendari / Balikpapan/ Soerabja if I mounted major offenses north through Darwin North. It was building supply and ships through AI function to attack / contest bases I passed by or emptied.

A “KB lite” with CVLs / BB/ CA Tfs always seemed to be hanging around:

1) Entiwok Island – to Commerce / ship raid into mid pacific

2) Marianas’s especially say Saipan – similar to Commerce / ship raid into North Pacific
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Disclaimer: I am only moderately experienced compared to many on this forum.

In a somewhat related thread previously a 'poster' complained the KB was "stuck" on the main forum.

I would guess that it is entirely situational based upon how many ships - especially transports - you have sunk against the Japanese AI. As indicated above the - the AI could be marshaling enough ships to invade an island / base still in its script queue - and has parked the KB or a portion of the KB awaiting the marshaling of enough ships. If you have sunk "so many" it may even build barges to mount the operation.

The further changed by the random script (1-5 historic)( 6-11 historic +) from start game.

Above all by May 1943 you really really need to Naval Search / Naval Search / Naval Search and Recon / Recon / Recon and when you think you have enough coverage – add more !

Use precious points and buy out a number of Catalina and Liberator PBY squadrons from the west coast. Get them forward everywhere – every base – every island – overlap.

In my limited experience I have generally seen the KB "park" for example

1) Hollandia / Truk if I mounted major offenses through the Solomon's and New Guinea. It was building supply and ships though “AI” function to attack / contest bases I passed by or emptied

2) Kendari / Balikpapan/ Soerabja if I mounted major offenses north through Darwin North. It was building supply and ships through AI function to attack / contest bases I passed by or emptied.

A “KB lite” with CVLs / BB/ CA Tfs always seemed to be hanging around:

1) Entiwok Island – to Commerce / ship raid into mid pacific

2) Marianas’s especially say Saipan – similar to Commerce / ship raid into North Pacific
I might add the KB at Soerabaya intercepting the tanker traffic between Clolombo and Perth...[8|][8|][8|]

Return to “The War Room”