Combat Mission Shock Force 2 Released

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

RE: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 Released

Post by demyansk »

That's why I don't play the games anymore. Stuck in the 1990's and passed. Sort of like the way Radio Shack ran there business. Too difficult to return defective merchandise and customers just stopped going.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

That's why I don't play the games anymore. Stuck in the 1990's and passed. Sort of like the way Radio Shack ran there business. Too difficult to return defective merchandise and customers just stopped going.

Yeah but Radio Shack got alot of us into electronics/pc boards as teens [:D]

What memories!

Back on topic..
TBH, BFC should have spent all that effort on either a new build/engine, or just new content for CMBS.
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
Battlefront does provide free playable demos of all its games. I tried CM Shock Force 2 demo (very good!) but will hold off for now.
I am eagerly awaiting the new modules for CM Red Thunder (1945 Berlin battles especially) and CM Fortress Italy (Battle for Rome).
New version 4 patches (free) should be available soon for all WW 2 games. Battlefront keeps supporting its games after over 20 years.
I like that they allow the full version 4 engine installers to be saved to hardrive for future reinstalls.
I like that all their games have quick battle generators to extend replayability.

Battlefront has admitted past problems with e-licence system in theirforums. They have simplified it but I wish they would adopt the Matrixgames method.

rico21

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: rommel222

but I wish they would adopt the Matrixgames method.

that's why we do not appreciate it.[:D]
RichG

Post by RichG »

ORIGINAL: rommel222

New version 4 patches (free) should be available soon for all WW 2 games.

Battlefront were saying that 18 months ago.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

My work is complicated at times. I tend to stay away from complications in installing four different versions of games and then realize the key doesn't work. Keep it simple, don't need another degree.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I am glad I decided to go with it (CMSF2). Had a password issue they resolved during the heat of release night. And then when I went to pay for the game - no dice. Steve Grammont himself contacted me an hour later and said they ran out of keys. Pretty funny, we both remember CM1 on the Mac II, like many of you, back when we were young.

Also, I forgot that all the CMSF1 mods and scenarios/campaigns (so far) have been compatible with V2. Believe me, when I had to input my CMSF1 serial from the original BFC CD years ago, I was doubtful. But the installation worked.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

There is no doubt their DRM method and installation process leaves a lot to be desired and the company will never acknowledge how bad of a customer experience it is....but once you do get things running, it is a good experience for a tactical wargame that is well under represented in the marketplace.
reverendCrast

Post by reverendCrast »

I bought the game few days ago, all modules. This is my first Combat Mission game, I never knew they existed until now.

Pros:
- the gameplay is great. Lots of choices of equipment, fire support, UAVs. It gives a sense of realism, the troops behave in believable way.
- UI is simple, yet powerful, it's fun to use.
- mission editor and quick battle are really good, infinite possibilities.
- sound is pretty good, creates nice atmosphere.

Cons:
- Presentation ranges from ugly to functional, I can get a really good shot sometimes from certain angles, especially when I avoid showing the terrain. While equipment models are good and nicely detailed, the terrain, shading and lighting is something from mid 90's at best. Textures get blurry, shadows flicker, the game feels like very unfinished/outdated piece. I don't expect AAA graphics here though.
- The game uses obsolete graphics rendering technology and performs really badly, even on top end hardware (running 5gz 8700k, 2080ti, 32gb of fast RAM here, everything is on M2 drives). My frame rates vary from 25 fps to 3000 fps (! - and yes, I know I can limit frames etc. but it won't change the fact that rendering "engine" this game uses doesn't perform). The game uses modern hardware poorly.
- Multiplayer is there, but again in mid 90's form. Connection by IP or PBEM (I actually like PBEM). No lobby, no community.

Notes:
I have no issues with licence system.

Overall, I think it's a very unique game with great, never seen anywhere else gameplay, but it's wider adoption is hindered by obsolete, very low level of presentation and virtually lack of accessible multiplayer which leads to very limited exposure and invisible community. I understand that the game is made by a very small team with limited resources and most of the man power goes to simulation part of the game, which shows - pure gameplay part of the game is very good. Having said that, I believe that bringing the presentation and multiplayer/community part of the game to even low end modern standards would bring more players on board and make the game much more popular.

Was it worth the price? Yes! I am having fun playing it, and there is a tiny hope that if the game sells, the devs will consider some graphics/rendering engine updates
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: reverendCrast

and there is a tiny hope that if the game sells, the devs will consider some graphics/rendering engine updates

Battlefront has been around for an extremely long time and the "latest" engine since around July of 2007. It certainly is a niche game series and the followers/community isn't likely to expand greatly beyond where it is today. They have released updates to the engine, on version 4.0 right now but they don't seem in a big hurry to move to a next generation platform since they seem satisfied with what they have although it certainly has become dated. Can't imagine they will be able to move to a major new platform based on how long it takes them to even release patches and additional content. CMFS2 was supposed to come out back in May originally as an example and seems like they can only work on one game at a time. Without a serious competitor in tactical warfare (besides maybe Graviteam), they have little incentive to do so.

I still like the series, warts and all, but I have low expectations on their future....basically "it is what it is".
reverendCrast

Post by reverendCrast »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

and there is a tiny hope that if the game sells, the devs will consider some graphics/rendering engine updates

Battlefront has been around for an extremely long time and the "latest" engine since around July of 2007. It certainly is a niche game series and the followers/community isn't likely to expand greatly beyond where it is today. They have released updates to the engine, on version 4.0 right now but they don't seem in a big hurry to move to a next generation platform since they seem satisfied with what they have although it certainly has become dated. Can't imagine they will be able to move to a major new platform based on how long it takes them to even release patches and additional content. CMFS2 was supposed to come out back in May originally as an example and seems like they can only work on one game at a time. Without a serious competitor in tactical warfare (besides maybe Graviteam), they have little incentive to do so.

I still like the series, warts and all, but I have low expectations on their future....basically "it is what it is".

Well, it's functional and something I can't really get in any other games. I can see myself putting 100+ hours into playing this, so it's a super cheap entertainment. There is always a chance someone with slightly different vision (no pun intended ;) ) and more resources will buy them ;)

If this game would have decent graphics (Wargame Red Dragon level) and multiplayer connectivity I'd probably play it 24/7.

I'll check Graviteam games, they seem to have mostly WWII games though, which I am not that interested in.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I always say the same, the price of a game depends on how many hours you can get out of it. The big bundle gets you 85 ready made scenarios (thats what I red), plus campaigns I guess too. So there alone your getting alot of gameplay, so as stated above it´s quite cheap if you think about.

A battle generator (or skirmish) is something that I kind of ask mandatory now days, depending on the game. That too builds up to the gameplay value.

A mission editor, same as above. A big plus to the overall value. If you don´t use it, then thats up to you, but it´s there.

Graphics, well yeah I agree, but for me it´s not all about graphics and more about gameplay and realism. I kind of like how CM looks. Another good part is that it´s mod friendly.

Multiplayer, well this community plays PBEM, so we should be used to that. A dedicated multiplayer enviroment cost money to maintain and does not always guarantee support or a life time of play.

The biggest bad to me is the engine lag in bigger count scenarios, and that sometimes the amount of units of the OPFOR dosent seem even on some encounters (or I just plain suck). As I also stated before, wished they would had focused the efforts on something else.

Iam still on the fence with CMSF2, as I also have "H4/High Tide" rules, or "Next War: Poland" on my wishlist this year.

@ReverendCrast:

You can have a look at Graviteam´s new DLC "Operation Moduler"...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/501671/Graviteam_Tactics_Operation_Moduler/

Red
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

I bought the game few days ago, all modules. This is my first Combat Mission game, I never knew they existed until now.

Pros:
- the gameplay is great. Lots of choices of equipment, fire support, UAVs. It gives a sense of realism, the troops behave in believable way.
- UI is simple, yet powerful, it's fun to use.
- mission editor and quick battle are really good, infinite possibilities.
- sound is pretty good, creates nice atmosphere.

Cons:
- Presentation ranges from ugly to functional, I can get a really good shot sometimes from certain angles, especially when I avoid showing the terrain. While equipment models are good and nicely detailed, the terrain, shading and lighting is something from mid 90's at best. Textures get blurry, shadows flicker, the game feels like very unfinished/outdated piece. I don't expect AAA graphics here though.
- The game uses obsolete graphics rendering technology and performs really badly, even on top end hardware (running 5gz 8700k, 2080ti, 32gb of fast RAM here, everything is on M2 drives). My frame rates vary from 25 fps to 3000 fps (! - and yes, I know I can limit frames etc. but it won't change the fact that rendering "engine" this game uses doesn't perform). The game uses modern hardware poorly.
- Multiplayer is there, but again in mid 90's form. Connection by IP or PBEM (I actually like PBEM). No lobby, no community.

Notes:
I have no issues with licence system.

Overall, I think it's a very unique game with great, never seen anywhere else gameplay, but it's wider adoption is hindered by obsolete, very low level of presentation and virtually lack of accessible multiplayer which leads to very limited exposure and invisible community. I understand that the game is made by a very small team with limited resources and most of the man power goes to simulation part of the game, which shows - pure gameplay part of the game is very good. Having said that, I believe that bringing the presentation and multiplayer/community part of the game to even low end modern standards would bring more players on board and make the game much more popular.

Was it worth the price? Yes! I am having fun playing it, and there is a tiny hope that if the game sells, the devs will consider some graphics/rendering engine updates
There will be mods to improve looks of terrain, buildings, sound etc, and perhaps some of the already existing mods for SF1 will work. I'm currently looking into that. Check here from now on for mods: http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
Just learned of an interesting feature on civilian spies using captured weapons in CM Shock Force 2 from forums: (Nice screen shots of spies using acquired weapons against troops, scroll half way down in forum posts)
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... gn-glitch/
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Ok not CMSF2 but a great price for CMBO at GOG...
https://www.gog.com/game/combat_mission_beyond_overlord

Red
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Ok not CMSF2 but a great price for CMBO at GOG...
https://www.gog.com/game/combat_mission_beyond_overlord

Red

$1.99! I remember seeing the boxed version in Babbages for $45! I think I finally paid about $35 from the Battlefront store. It came with a nice half inch thick soft bound manual.

Return to “General Discussion”