Unable to access Seeking Opponent database.

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

majordefeat

Post by majordefeat »

downloaded wif after 4 years uninstalled because it was a piece of crap as first produced.

apparently, many netplay issues are now fixed.

i can't tell though, because i used to be able to login to netplay, but now i cant.

the product is even less functional for me than 4 years ago.

i have unified my accounts. username and password is the same as in the netplayreg.txt.

it seems to me a game that works shouldn't be this hard to actually play.

unmitigated piece of crap.

anyone have any ideas? i've tried the same things as others who had the Unable to access Seeking Opponent database message.

Majorball68

RE: Unable to access Seeking Opponent database.

Post by Majorball68 »

Play by email much better
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: majordefeat

downloaded wif after 4 years uninstalled because it was a piece of crap as first produced.

apparently, many netplay issues are now fixed.

i can't tell though, because i used to be able to login to netplay, but now i cant.

the product is even less functional for me than 4 years ago.

i have unified my accounts. username and password is the same as in the netplayreg.txt.

it seems to me a game that works shouldn't be this hard to actually play.

unmitigated piece of crap.

anyone have any ideas? i've tried the same things as others who had the Unable to access Seeking Opponent database message.

I was going to suggest this, there are threads about this. Long time ago I had the same problem and finally it seems it was a problem with my user/password for the server. I believe it was solved with an email to the help desk or whatever the name is.
majordefeat

Post by majordefeat »

Yes currently the message I am getting from support is to try with the latest hot fix installed

So I will try that and see

We tried play by email for a while before uninstall , but this was irritating when there is supposed to in fact be a working netplay - there was supposed to be when it was first marketed .

But thanks for the heads up
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Is it possible your user name and password in the NetPlayReg.txt file are not exactly case matched the unified ones? That was a problem in the past, FREX "Player" as a username would not verify against "player".

Also, you could check with Matrix customer support to see if the username and password you originally used for NetPlay match your unified credentials.
Paul
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

I just bought the game and I'm getting this same error. How do I fix it?
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: GenChaos33

I just bought the game and I'm getting this same error. How do I fix it?
Sorry to learn that you are having trouble.[:(]

Can you provide some more information on when the problem occurs? The actual message would help us figure out what is wrong. A screenshot would be even better.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

It happens right after the main screen, just after I hit to go to the NetPlay forum.

I already registered. Note: This info IS DIFFERENT than my main Matrix/Slitherine login stuff.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: GenChaos33

It happens right after the main screen, just after I hit to go to the NetPlay forum.

I already registered. Note: This info IS DIFFERENT than my main Matrix/Slitherine login stuff.
Ah, then that's the trouble.

You need to have the World in Flames NetPlay information (Username & Password) the same as your Matrix/Slitherine login.

The World in Flames information is in a simple text file that you can edit using Notepad (or equivalent): NetPlayReg.txt.

Please let me know if this helps (or doesn't help) you get into the NetPlay forum.
Steve

GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

All good now. Had to uninstall and actually re-install to a different location.

But was able to connect with friend/other player and played around with setup.

So now, we both must read many rules and tutorial videos before we bite into The Monster!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

For your first game, the general suggestion is to use the Barbarossa scenario. Production might not work quite right here, but it doesn't really matter. Do not use the quick start setup, because the Russian set up in it is awful.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Majorball68

Post by Majorball68 »

My Slitherine/Matrix log in is major ball. Registering for the netplay server you are not permitted spaces so I cannot log in with the same user name hence I cannot access the Seeking Opponent database. Is there a solution for this?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Mine are different but it was all set up before the unified password system. The main thing is that what you use for Netplay matches what is in your two Netplay text files in your game directory. If you have not yet registered for Netplay you could set it up with something different.

But as I said mine were prior to Unified Password so if that doesn't work then you will have to contact Customer Support.
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Majorball68

My Slitherine/Matrix log in is major ball. Registering for the netplay server you are not permitted spaces so I cannot log in with the same user name hence I cannot access the Seeking Opponent database. Is there a solution for this?
I agree with Paul - see if Customer Support can help.

When MWIF sets up the user name and password for accessing the NetPlay server, it only imposes the restrictions on the user name and password that the Slitherine server imposes. If I were t modify the program to accept embedded blanks (e.g., major ball), the Slitherine server would reject it.

How much aggravation would it be to change your Slitherine/Matrix login in to Majorball68? That looks to me to be the path of least pain.
Steve

Majorball68

Post by Majorball68 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Majorball68

I agree with Paul - see if Customer Support can help.

When MWIF sets up the user name and password for accessing the NetPlay server, it only imposes the restrictions on the user name and password that the Slitherine server imposes. If I were t modify the program to accept embedded blanks (e.g., major ball), the Slitherine server would reject it.

How much aggravation would it be to change your Slitherine/Matrix login in to Majorball68? That looks to me to be the path of least pain.

Thank you both. Sent an email to Slitherine support and they were very quick at correcting the issue and changed my user name from major ball to Majorball68 for all my linked accounts.
dyrn

Post by dyrn »

Hi.

I get the Unable to access Seeking Opponents Database message when logging in to Netplay. It is identical login info to Netplay and the unified password. Can anyone help?

Best regards
dyrn
I am responsible for what I say - not for how you understand it.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Make sure the username and password match not just character for character but also their case. You can check this in the main MWiF directory by looking in the file named "NetPlayReg.txt"
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

Gert,

I looked at the Mad Except bug report that was automatically generated when you ran into trouble with the Seeking Opponents Database.

I tried to reproduce it and got the same screen display that was shown in your Mad Except bug report - but I didn't get any error. Everything ran fine.

Reading your bug report didn't provide me with any additional information. It appears that MWIF was unable to 'ping' the Private NetPlay server successfully. That could be caused by the player (e.g., you) being inactive for a while. The server drops the connection after 10 minutes or so of no requests from the player.

If you can reproduce this, please tell me how so I can investigate it further.
Steve

Return to “NetPlay Tech Support”