Scenario: Desperate Measures (1986)

22sec

Scenario: Desperate Measures (1986)

Post by 22sec »

First, this scenario was inspired by a write up for an upcoming board game I am very interested in called Less Than 60 Miles. You can read the play test that was the muse here: https://warwithoutkia.blogspot.com/2018/11/less-than-60-miles-playtest-session-13-1.html?fbclid=IwAR3myWabFYN94CwwAZ_msd32hFzhNF80Q_ccQ6Y6520IjqNmnbZjeHZDeDA

Either side is playable, and neither force are not locked, meaning that you can deploy them where you like during the deployment phase.

I would love some feedback.

UPDATE--I wanted to familiarize myself with the Mission Editor added in version 1.031m so Desperate Measures has been updated with expanded no-go zones, revised objectives, and destruction areas randomly added (mostly on the eastern side to represent fighting earlier in the day).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sm0JWSA4BcLc8mynGqkIBX3A9U-fqSXz
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
Stardog765

RE: Scenario: Desperate Measures (1986) (BETA VERSION)

Post by Stardog765 »

Great!
Thank you, got it downloaded and ready for when I learn to play a little better.

Appreciate your hard work.

exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

That was a grand slam over Green monster!! However....

What!?

...... I lost my words. I was doing really good, but one single hit was good enough to finish the game... AAAAAAAARGH!!!

It was good game and good scenario. It is hard to comment yet because I didn't tried PACT side.

Pure number of PACT wave was amazing. Hills and towns make hard to set up the kill zone, but map creates several bottleneck region for PACT. So it would be crucial for NATO to maximize the damage from bottlenecks.
22sec

Post by 22sec »

Wait, so you played it with player unit enabled? I really need to try that one of these days.
mekanopsis

Post by mekanopsis »

Thanks. You've been thinking along very similar lines to me, I see. Thin Red Line and Veitikka Studios are really covering similar topics with similar degrees of quality in two different media. It would be interesting to integrate TRL's 1985 Under An Iron Sky as a campaign system for AB, or vice versa, use AB as a tactical battle resolution system for 1985.

Edit: to finesse the point a bit, 1985 UUS scale and timescale is listed as "14km per hex, 48 hours per game turn". (That's pretty suitable for an AB battle isn't it?)
fvianello

Post by fvianello »

ORIGINAL: 22sec

First, this scenario was inspired by a write up for an upcoming board game I am very interested in called Less Than 60 Miles. You can read the play test that was the muse here: https://warwithoutkia.blogspot.com/2018/11/less-than-60-miles-playtest-session-13-1.html?fbclid=IwAR3myWabFYN94CwwAZ_msd32hFzhNF80Q_ccQ6Y6520IjqNmnbZjeHZDeDA

Either side is playable, and neither force are not locked, meaning that you can deploy them where you like during the deployment phase.

I would love some feedback.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sm0JWSA4BcLc8mynGqkIBX3A9U-fqSXz

Well, I'm honored by having a scenario based on "Less Than 60 Miles"!
Thank you 22sec!
H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Well done and keep them coming. Only played as US so far but very tense,unpredictable and fun. Thanks.
Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

How do I install it after download?
Gino
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Gonna try this later, cheers :-)
mekanopsis

Post by mekanopsis »

Just had a crack your scenario, as the US, liked it a lot. I was only able to manage a tactical defeat. I moved the M1s forward to the river in the hope of picking off some of the armour spotted by the scouts and Kiowas at likely crossing points. Kiowa positioning is apparently a black art so they died immediately. M1s did some damage but not enough, then as the WP armour got through the central forested area in the valley, I was expecting to be able to deploy infantry squads in the Bradleys into the two central towns to the West and form a defensive line there, however the Bradleys only disgorged scout teams with no anti-armour capability (?).

At that point I pretty much gave up. The SP mortars didn't seem like much help against armour either. This seems like a case of 6 M1s against a number of T-80 platoons backed by Bradleys that need to shoot-and-scoot. Which is not a criticism, I suck at the game and it's a very interesting scenario and probably realistic. Maybe there should be the potential for configurable victory levels for "delaying" or "screening" type actions. Like: achieve a kill ratio of X:Y and get Z number of points off a map edge.
22sec

Post by 22sec »

ORIGINAL: mekanopsis

Just had a crack your scenario, as the US, liked it a lot. I was only able to manage a tactical defeat. I moved the M1s forward to the river in the hope of picking off some of the armour spotted by the scouts and Kiowas at likely crossing points. Kiowa positioning is apparently a black art so they died immediately. M1s did some damage but not enough, then as the WP armour got through the central forested area in the valley, I was expecting to be able to deploy infantry squads in the Bradleys into the two central towns to the West and form a defensive line there, however the Bradleys only disgorged scout teams with no anti-armour capability (?).

At that point I pretty much gave up. The SP mortars didn't seem like much help against armour either. This seems like a case of 6 M1s against a number of T-80 platoons backed by Bradleys that need to shoot-and-scoot. Which is not a criticism, I suck at the game and it's a very interesting scenario and probably realistic. Maybe there should be the potential for configurable victory levels for "delaying" or "screening" type actions. Like: achieve a kill ratio of X:Y and get Z number of points off a map edge.

Remember this scenario depicts an element of the U.S. 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, so the Bradleys are the M3 scout variety.

As a scenario designer there are certainly some things that would be nice to have, and I think we will get a majority of those eventually.
mekanopsis

Post by mekanopsis »

I thought it would be something like that. These were the days of AirLand Battle and the mobile defence, infantry squads with RPGs were old school by that point. It's a very interesting scenario.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Good scenario, very tense when the T-80s pour out of the woods, I managed to get a tactical victory...

Cheers
22sec

Post by 22sec »

Anyone play as the Soviets?
JJMcBlaze

Post by JJMcBlaze »

ORIGINAL: 22sec

Wait, so you played it with player unit enabled? I really need to try that one of these days.

It’s really funny. You’ll effectively be deaf if you put yourself in a tank. You’ll only hear the engine of the tank when you are on the move, or vehicles passing by when you’re stationary. It’s a truly fun experience.
22sec

RE: Scenario: Desperate Measures (1986)

Post by 22sec »

See the first thread for the revised file and revision notes.

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”