Recommendation

Shifting Sands traces the history of many Arab-Israeli conflicts: from the sidelines of the Suez crisis, through the lightning Six-Day War, the guerilla-like War Of Attrition and the strategic surprise of the Yom Kippur War, all the way to the historic Osirak raid and the epic air battle over the Bekaa Valley
Herman_Hum

Recommendation

Post by Herman_Hum »

The Israel wars are not my primary focus, did somebody play the campaign and can give some feedback? Did you guys enjoy it, was there authentic information, video footage, or story provided with it?
Tom Clancy used Harpoon
RedBunny

RE: Recommendation

Post by RedBunny »

ORIGINAL: Herman_Hum

The Israel wars are not my primary focus, did somebody play the campaign and can give some feedback? Did you guys enjoy it, was there authentic information, video footage, or story provided with it?

I assume from your post history that you're familiar with CMANO. Shifting Sands isn't any different from the base game; the campaign isn't a set of linked scenarios where the results of an earlier scenario carries over to later scenarios. The scenarios are in chronological order and so - as the product page states - you get to see the changes in military hardware over the span of the 25 years covered by the scenarios. I'm finding that very interesting.

I've played through about half the scenarios and I'm enjoying it. The scenario information seems authentic to me with respect to OOB and scenario objectives. Like the base game there isn't really any video footage (that's what Google/YouTube is for!) or a common story across scenarios.
Herman_Hum

Post by Herman_Hum »

Thanks

Well I played Northern Inferno but was somewhat disappointed by its dry presentation and some bugs back then.

Well I´m still busy with Northern Fury, Chain Of War, and some of the officials but will keep an eye on this.
Tom Clancy used Harpoon
RedBunny

Post by RedBunny »

I don't have Northern Inferno but I can understand if it's just a set of scenarios with not much narrative linking them together that the overall presentation would be rather dry.

There's pretty much nothing in the Shifting Sands scenarios that link them together but that's not necessary because you can always pick up a history book to fill in the gaps and get background. SS is fitting in nicely with my own interest in the last couple years on Mid East events and history. And my usual pattern of my reading influencing my wargaming interests and my wargaming interests feeding into my reading is only reinforced by SS.

Return to “Command: Shifting Sands”