Planes launch before mission active?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mobeer

Planes launch before mission active?

Post by Mobeer »

I'm trying the Strike tutorials and setting missions for aircraft. Strike Tutorial 3 mentions creating a recon mission first, then creating a strike mission:
"Now you want to give your Recon AC some time to do its work so set this mission to activate at about 0820. So in either the mission creation screen or in the mission planner set the Activation time to the scenario date and a time of 0820."

But I find the strike aircraft take off at the same time as the recon plane? All the tutorial messages seem to be times as if the strike planes had waited, but they don't. (Note the scenario starts at 0800 and the recon mission has no start time set).
kevinkins

RE: Planes launch before mission active?

Post by kevinkins »

Can you send the file that is showing that behavior? A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

Thanks

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

When you created the mission did you remember to set its status to 'Inactive'? If a mission is inactive it'll show in the mission list in red italics with a '[D]' in front if its name. It'll activate once the specified time is reached.

HTH
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

I think I can see the problem. Nowhere in the tutorial instructions does it mention setting the mission to inactive. It does say:
"If this is going to be your first target leave the activation menus alone"
then later:
"Now you want to give your Recon AC some time to do its work so set this mission to activate at about 0820. So in either the mission creation screen or in the mission planner set the Activation time to the scenario date and a time of 0820. A red [D] will appear beside the mission name, which will be in italicized red."
but if I do just this the mission appears in black ordinary text.

If in the Mission Editor I edit the Status dropdown to "Inactive" then the mission name appears in red italic text, then the two strike aircraft wait until just after the set time to take off. That step of editing the Status dropdown is missing from the tutorial text.

---
thanks for the advice
NimrodX

Post by NimrodX »

If you set a mission start time, note that:

- The time is in Zulu not local.
- Clicking "today" in the date selector gives you the real today from the system clock, not the current date in the scenario.

If the planes are launching immediately or not launching on time, make sure the date and time isn't in the past or far future in zulu time.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”