Interdiction

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
angel42052

Interdiction

Post by angel42052 »

Hello Grognards,

Regarding air interdiction:

1) How do I get estimates of how well my air force is doing (e.g., 50 panthers killed 10 panthers disabled, etc.)?

2) How do I get estimates of how well the enemy air force is doing?

3) Ditto for sea interdiction.

Thanks!

Steve
MikeJ19

RE: Interdiction

Post by MikeJ19 »

Steve,

Very good question. I can see Interdiction attacks being done my Air Force, but I do not see any combat results. In my current game, I am being hit by Interdiction attacks and the effects vary - sometimes my units stop moving, other times they seem to lose some strength - at least on the counter - and sometimes nothing seems to happen. In Interdiction also effects supply to your enemy.

On the air panel, there is a rough indication of how the air war is going. It shows how many planes have been shot down.

I have not tried any sea battles.

I hope this helps,
Mike

Retired Gunner
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: angel42052

Hello Grognards,

Regarding air interdiction:

1) How do I get estimates of how well my air force is doing (e.g., 50 panthers killed 10 panthers disabled, etc.)?

2) How do I get estimates of how well the enemy air force is doing?

3) Ditto for sea interdiction.

Thanks!

Steve
warspite1

I'm no grognard but I'll give my 2 cents anyway.

I think that this is a very serious omission from the game mechanics. Given that this is version IV I'm not sure why this is as it is.

Don't get me wrong this is a very fine game and such good fun, but the lack of information in this area really detracts from the otherwise incredible detail a player has to work with. That detail hugely adds to the immersion in the game....but.... here's the but.

I know how many trucks I've got, I know how many trucks I lose, how many are destroyed.

But if my squadrons take part (offensively or defensively in interdiction) I - as the commander of the air forces - have absolutely no idea about:

What squadrons took part? Dunno
What aircraft losses/destroyed were there? Dunno
What enemy aircraft losses/destroyed were there? Dunno
What were they attacked by? Dunno
What did the fighters do? Dunno
For those bombers that interdicted, what did they interdict and where? Sometimes you may see a hex but no detail - no intelligence (even poor quality) is gleaned from bombers / fighters flying over enemy airspace.

If I am lucky I will see "Allied airstrike on hex...." flash up on the playback but not always.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
angel42052

Post by angel42052 »

I was hoping that there was someway to reference interdiction success/failure with specific information -- oh well. Seems to me you'd want some sort of parameter when designing the scenario to inflate/deflate "estimates" of enemy losses. Of course you'd have accurate information on your interdiction losses.

This is at the top of my wish list for the next vers. of TOAW.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I believe since the game handles interdiction on a theater wide basis there is no way to determine who did what where. I believe I saw mentioned someplace that the air war will get some love in the future.

The best way to try and guide a game, and when I say try that is attempt, is to take part in the beta process.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Lobster,

How do we take part in the beta process? Not sure I have the time to do it justice, but I would be interested.
Mike

Retired Gunner
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Ask Tamas. Not sure if people are still being accepted but you won't be shot at dawn for asking.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”