A question about Transfering Air units / rebasing them - original post edited

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Major SNAFU_M

A question about Transfering Air units / rebasing them - original post edited

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Hi all,

EDIT: I wanted to mention that after posting this, and receiving excellent assistance from cfulbright, I then discovered (belatedly) the one page guides 4a and 4b in the documents directory in the game. I did not realize these additions to the handbook existed up to that point. So if any other newbie opens this post looking for similar information - I direct you to these additional one page guides made by, I believe, Red Lancer. Excellent stuff.

This is a newbie question, and I have read the manual and I am trying to follow the one page guide (WitW One Page Guide #4) Air Bases & Air Group Transfers.

I am running with the latest public beta.

I am find up to step 4. I am pretty sure I understand the info as well.

My problem is that when I get to step 5 - when I click on the Air Transfer mode, I do not see anything in the UI that matches that the screenshots in the one page guide suggests I should be seeing. I see a much more complicated set of information with check boxes next to each air group at an individual base. I see nothing that allows me to select an HQ from a list, etc.

I know I am misunderstanding something. I thought I must be in the wrong mode, so I have tried the steps in the Air planning mode and in the movement mode and I see the same information.

I never get to the point where I see range rings, etc. because I don't believe I am ever correctly getting to the point where I am selecting the air group I want to re-base.

I have tried two different things, just to see if I am understanding how the interface works. 1) relocate an HQ from one base to another - no success. 2) re base a group of B-17s from an over crowded base to a nearby base that has excess capacity.

I am really stuck because I cannot see from the manual or the one page guide where I am going wrong.

Again, then I click on the F10, I do not see a simple list of either HQs or individual units listed on the right hand side of the screen.

I see a very complicated display on the lower right hand section where I can select HQs, bases, etc. and if I select one of these the in the upper right hand side I see the base with each of the individual air units at the base listed, with a check box next to each one.

I have tried selecting the checkbox, but no range rings. And if I then click onto the base I want the unit to go to, I just ses the listing for the new airbase.

yours in confusion,

SNAFU
"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
cfulbright

RE: A question about Transfering Air units / rebasing them

Post by cfulbright »

Snafu,

Please clarify what you're trying to do. Are you trying to move air units from one base to another?

Cary
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Hi Cary,

I all honesty, I am trying everything as I work my way through the manual.

In this specific case I was trying two different things:

Move an air HQ from one base to another

Move a specific air unit from one over loaded base to another.

Many thanks,

SNAFU
"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

One ping to link them;
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

Snafu,

1. If you want to move an Air HQ unit from one location to another (it doesn't have to be on an air base), just use regular movement, either F1 ground movement, F2 rail movement, or F3 sea movement. If you use either of the latter, don't forget to unload them in their new location.

1a. If you're actually trying to change the Air HQ assignment of an airbase, click on the base on the map, then click on the airfield icon in the top right of the screen. In the pop-up, click on the current HHQ, then select another air HQ from the list. Note that once you do this, you can't undo it or change it again the current turn. You have to wait until the following turn to do so.

2. To move air units from one base to another, press F10, then click on the airbase containing the unit(s) you want to move. A list of the air units in that base will appear. Click on the check box of each air group you want to move, then click on the air base you want to move them to and RIGHT-click. Note that if a unit has traveled 100% in the turn, it will appear below a line and you can't move it in the current turn. Also, if a unit has traveled some in the turn, it may have limited range (e.g., to ferry from the UK to Italy). You may be able to work around that by replacing the current loadout with the highest external fuel tank loadout available.

The UI has some neat tools for filtering and selecting and multiple air groups to move. For example, you can go into the Commander's Report (press c), select 8th Air Force, deselect FB's and Rec, and then click on "B-17G" next to one of your air groups. When you exit the CR, you'll only see B-17G air groups on the map. If you click on a base with multiple aircraft types and click "Select All", the UI will only checkmark the B-17G groups. Or you could filter to just FB-F air groups with Experience >75. This filtering help is useful when you're reorganizing your air HQ's.

Note that you can't select air groups from multiple bases and move them to a new base in a single action. You have to do one base at a time.

Let me know if I've answered your questions and if you have any other questions.

Cary

Attachments
Moveairunits.jpg
Moveairunits.jpg (387.56 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Hi Cary,

That was perfect. I had misunderstood the steps for doing #1.

I was now able to successfully transfer a unit. Many, Many thanks.

I am only just beginning to understand the power of filtering, so thanks for the examples. I will use that as a basis to work on sorting for other types of units.

Again, many thanks.

EDIT: Editted original post to mention the 4a and 4b one page guides that answer these questions.

Regards,

SNAFU

One ping to link them;

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”