Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Retreat1970

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by Retreat1970 »

ORIGINAL: BlindOne

I too can positively confirm that RetreatUE DOES work with baconmod if you properly modify all the files.

I myself am running a modified version of retreatUE with a bunch of other mods slapped together with BaconMod. The only issue I have is whenever a spy is caught or escapes it goes out of index bounds every once in a while but I am 99.9% certain this is a bacon issue and has nothing to do with retreatUE or the other mods that I compiled. I am running windows 7 however[:'(]
I'm on a Windows 10 machine so I've no idea what the non-starting issue is being caused by

Non starting can be any file or even a tiny jot or jittle that has been messed up. I've had the entire game not start because the game had problems loading a specific component.png image... All I did was change the image of a component from 120 to number 185...and it COMPLETELY stopped working all together...dead in the water so to speak. Did not start up AT ALL! Like it never loaded...

To know if Bacon is running functionally with your mods all you need to do is install the bacon.exe and main files and load up your original mod (WITHOUT any changes from the baconworld customization folder) to see if it properly loads. If it loads without a hitch then you know it is not bacon that is messing things up. You won't have any added features such as terraforming, the hangar bays or extra mining capacity but it will give you a clue on whether you messed up the files yourself or whether it is a windows issue.

I recommend using notepad++ and the compare plugin to compare the ''original'' DW files to the BaconWorld files to see what has changed and then copying those changes to your own mod files. That's what I did.
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY: Glorious Bacon

What sort of crashes are you getting? Merging mods is pretty easy. You only need to add the components, facilities, and research projects that I've added which are not in the other mod. Those would be the fighter bayx, the terraforming facility, and the research that enables the fighter bays.

You're forgetting your improved mining capacity changes...you also need to edit the mining rates in the research components to change their capacity. Just a small note [;)]

I recommend you add an extra readme that lists all the changes that need to be made if you want to integrate it into another mod. It is easy to forget these things and it is doubly more annoying for a person who is completely unfamiliar with your mod and what changes need to be made to make it function.

There's your answer.
WanderingScholar

Post by WanderingScholar »

Well, just tried the mod for the first time. Great stuff! Especially the ability to trade everything, that really adds depth to the diplomacy aspect and I often find myself negotiating complicated deals. Only problem are the crashes...They happen quite frequently and it's almost bad enough for me to remove the mod especially since it then takes 5min to get back into the game. It seems to happen mostly when I view a trade proposal or attempt to trade.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: WanderingScholar

Well, just tried the mod for the first time. Great stuff! Especially the ability to trade everything, that really adds depth to the diplomacy aspect and I often find myself negotiating complicated deals. Only problem are the crashes...They happen quite frequently and it's almost bad enough for me to remove the mod especially since it then takes 5min to get back into the game. It seems to happen mostly when I view a trade proposal or attempt to trade.

Can you describe the crashes? This is the first anyone has reported frequent crashes. Note that for the "Trade Anything" option when there are a lot of things to trade some people reported the game taking a LONG time to load the screen (like 10-15 minutes in some cases). That's why I made it optional. Could this be what you mean by "crash"? If not, and the game actually "crashes" and there is any sort of error message, please post it here.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
WanderingScholar

Sure, when I click on "negotiate a trade proposal" there is a short delay then I'm at my desktop and it says the program stopped working. I'm aware that it takes awhile to load everything sometimes which is fine but I find myself saving every time I go into the trade screen because of a potential crash. Now for the first few hours into my game I didn't have any crashes but now I'd say it has about a 20% chance of crashing when I go to the trade screen. It's a custom game 6x6 galaxy, 400 stars, 9 other empires. Maybe that screen is trying to load too much but sometimes it loads fine and I can trade with a huge 20 colony empire...
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: WanderingScholar

Sure, when I click on "negotiate a trade proposal" there is a short delay then I'm at my desktop and it says the program stopped working. I'm aware that it takes awhile to load everything sometimes which is fine but I find myself saving every time I go into the trade screen because of a potential crash. Now for the first few hours into my game I didn't have any crashes but now I'd say it has about a 20% chance of crashing when I go to the trade screen. It's a custom game 6x6 galaxy, 400 stars, 9 other empires. Maybe that screen is trying to load too much but sometimes it loads fine and I can trade with a huge 20 colony empire...

I'm sorry to hear its crashing for you. After it crashes and you reload the save from right before opening the diplomacy screen does it crash again? What about if you set "tradeAnything" to false?
WanderingScholar

Thanks for the response, no it doesn't necessarily crash when I reload and click on the trade screen again. Setting "tradeEverything" to "false" does seem to stop the crashes though. This couldn't be performance related could it? I've tried everything I can think of to get this game to run smoothly since I have great hardware but it still lags to hell especially when I zoom into a system. Battles between say 40 ships are very choppy despite running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M with an i7 processor!

(One more thing I should mention the "spyBaseValue" doesn't seem to apply to other empires when they capture my spies as they frequently ransom them for 300k-400k despite me having the base value set to 100k which only seems to affect me.)
nelsonlee_slith

Post by nelsonlee_slith »

HI modder,

Great mod....thank you very much.
and I think there is a bug
-the AI donot built Fighter and bomber in Carrier or spaceport or defensive base if we donot change to Bacon theme

and by the way, I use auto design,but I can not built trooptransport, the design is always empty,The technology should be developed, how to deal with this?
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: zhess4096

Guys
I have problems running this mod in windows 10 but I solve it by updating the direct x in this directory.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\dxsetup.exe

I've double-clicked the DirectX setup file located within the game directory but nothing in the game environment updates. My computer is running DirectX12 as part of Windows 10. Is there another way I should be updating this? Has anyone else having starting issues been able to resolve this? Been trying to get this to run for months now.
Snake0437

Post by Snake0437 »

Hi to all.

Can anybody suggest, what to do with the explorer ships stuck near the unexplored star? The Ctrl+F throws a net framework error.
The exploration concept not working at all, and this is killing the game :(

Thanks.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Hi Das123. It seems to be an issue for a small percentage of players (self included). Something to do with actually needing to update the original DirectX version that came with the game. Please check out this post in Tech Support: http://wjadeiww.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3987873 The issue(s) is/are explained more clearly there. Also, please check out the link provided in zakblood's last post in that thread.

Jadei's post in the same thread (second to last) was what seemed to work for my issues. Hope this helps.
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Snake0437

Post by Snake0437 »

So, unfortunatelly, there was no solution to this. I've started new game, tested the exploreation ships again (the order "Explore neares unexplored system" and "Explore sector") and the same shit happens - exploration ships are stuck in space, near the unexplored stars. The info panel shows that ship is out of hyperjump, and at maximum sub-light speed, but actually it stays on place, and there is no sensor data (as it still in hyperjump).

Removed the mod for now...
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I don't think it will be updated.
I'm glad you like the mod. Unfortunately it has to be considered complete as I no longer have time to work on it.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: Snake0437

Hi to all.

Can anybody suggest, what to do with the explorer ships stuck near the unexplored star? The Ctrl+F throws a net framework error.
The exploration concept not working at all, and this is killing the game :(

Thanks.

what's happen if you order to the "stuck explorer ship" to simply move towards a point inside the system ?
Snake0437

Post by Snake0437 »

It simply stands on place, but in info window, I see, that it's moving on full sub-light speed.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Snake0437

It simply stands on place, but in info window, I see, that it's moving on full sub-light speed.

Are you combining any other mod with the Bacon mod in this game? Does the ship seem to move forward for awhile and then teleport back to its starting place (God, I hope not).
Mysterius

Post by Mysterius »

Hello RogerBacon,

Would it be possible to have a simple modification which only gives the 2000 stars galaxy?

That'd be great, i wouldn't like to modify the gameplay too much :).
Thanks !
"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Mysterius

Hello RogerBacon,

Would it be possible to have a simple modification which only gives the 2000 stars galaxy?

That'd be great, i wouldn't like to modify the gameplay too much :).
Thanks !

Hi,

Virtually every change the mod makes can be disabled by the BaconSettings.txt. Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of that changes gameplay and can't be restored to vanilla settings is the change I made to war weariness-- it no longer immediately (magically) vanishes once you end all wars. Instead people actually remember their dead relatives for a few months.

RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Hi all,

So about six weeks ago I gave my employer two week notice on the verbal agreement from another manager that I would be taking a new job. Well, it didn't work out so I'm between jobs now. My loss can be your gain as I find myself with enough time to look at my mod some more. I haven't played (or modded) in months though so I'll have to see if I remember everything.
I do have a plan for one feature I want to add. It has to do with freighters and if you liked the "Bacon Mining Company" you'll be sure to like this one if I can make it work. That's all I'll say for now though.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Just started a new game with the following settings:

shipMarkupFactor=50
shipMarkupFactorPirates=25
lowIndependentLifeValue=1

So that's 10x ship cost (but not maintenance) and virtually no independents. It really hurts to lose a ship when they cost this much. So far its a nice game. Space seems bigger and more unknown. If you haven't tried playing around with those settings (I hadn't), I recommend giving it a try.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

From tm.asp?m=4468206&mpage=1&key=&#4470757
ORIGINAL: OpT1mUs

The way it's set up , the arrows that add/remove components use components on he left list as a "marker" of what is getting added/removed. Is there a way to use the right list instead?
It feels very unintuitive.

This has now been implemented and will be in the next version of the Bacon mod.

Return to “Design and Modding”