Thank goodness for Command

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rory Noonan

RE: Thank goodness for Command

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

If that person is nearby. I lived in Northern Maine when I was into ASL. I would have killed for a game like Command. The last stat I saw said that only 25% of board wargamers play face to face. The rest play solitaire.

That was always my problem; my social circle has zero interest in tabletop gaming or wargames. As a teenager I was really into tabletop wargaming but eventually I got bored with collecting stuff and never actually playing. I did get a few games in (less than 10 for sure), and unfortunately some of the games I did play against 'randoms' were less than satisfying...

I think that's why I like Command so much, whenever I feel like it I can play. And if I'm not having fun, I can switch to a different scenario or just do something else entirely. There's no pressure and it's basically 'on-tap'.

Also it doesn't throw tantrums when it loses (working on a Lua script for that) [:D]
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Played a LOT of WW2 naval miniatures in the past, using mostly 1:1200 models from Superior Models (this predates the 1:2400 GHQ models, which are also quite nice). We used Seapower 2 and 3 and also sometimes Seekrieg 4 (for smaller engagements - a little unwieldy for larger ones). I had a copy of the boxed Harpoon "board game" but never really played it other than a couple of one on one engagements.

Also played lots of various board games from AH, SPI, Victory Games, and others. In college one semester we had set up in a guys dorm room, the SPI monster game War in the East, and had usually 5 people playing, when we could get everyone together. Took all semester and we didn't finish. but we had a blast. Luckily the guy's room it was in had no roommate so we used the other half of the room for the game.

But opponents was always a problem.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

I own all of the board/computer versions of Harpoon dating back to the very beginning. I also own all of the SPI magazine/games dating from the 1970s through the 1990s.

Command is the best by far. I would easily pay $1000 for Command, if it were necessary. I am dead serious about that. It has brought me so many hours of enjoyment, and that would translate to just pennies a day for the number of times that I use it.

I also own each one of the modules, etc., and I would hope that everyone would continue to patronize this great game because of everything that they have created for each of us.

Doug
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

Not sure why, but last year has a bit of increase attention about turn-based games and DnD nostalga. Maybe some hypes about new video games or YouTube videos have brought them up.

While I can't be 100% certain, the Netflix series Stranger Things has been linked to an increased interest in DnD.

Dungeons & Dragons is rampaging across pop culture like a fearsome Demogorgon.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/s ... -1.2739642

Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

ORIGINAL: rmunie0613

I am not sure about DnD- never played it..and certainly the board (or even Harpoon paper) wargames are nothing at all like DnD.

I would like to politely disagree somewhat based on how classic board-game Harpoon is played.

The best way I’ve ever seen it played was with three groups of people: Blue team, Red team and an Umpire. Both teams were separated in different rooms and the Umpire would “manage” the game by playing the rules and giving the team certain contact and sensor information along the way to create a true “fog of war” element.

It was a heck of a lot different than having two people on opposite ends of the table moving counters around, etc.

Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Cik

Post by Cik »

D&D is very partly a wargame. it's ancestor, gygax's chainmail was basically as far as i understand it, a medieval small unit tactics game.

even today most RPGs are basically games where you are often thrust into the role of a commander, if sometimes only of your specifically tailored character against whatever specifically tailored monster. there's a lot of strategy involved, especially in certain games where often one wrong move and you're dead.

there is not a sharp as distinction as people think. most wargames can even be played in a RPG-ish format, allowing for specific characters and stories to play out as part of a larger campaign.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”