What your opponent is thinking

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

uw06670

What your opponent is thinking

Post by uw06670 »

I have one small tip that might be useful against human opponents.

I was Soviet and after a few turns as I looked at battle results from German turn, I noticed that my opponent was not using air recon everywhere. He was being 'selective' (or lazy) and only flying them over the areas that he was advancing. This in itself didn't help much as his advance happened by the time I saw the recon activity. But it did show me where he wasn't concerned about, and that he didn't have a good idea about what my units were doing in large areas. I should mention I was doing recon across the whole front as best I could.

So I started staging some counter attacks in these recon 'voids'. They went undetected as he still didn't recon those areas the following turns, and didn't move any units to counter them. So then I launched into his flanks in two separate areas with some cavalry charges. They took him by surprise (he mentioned) and did annoy him greatly (he said). They didn't achieve as much as I was hoping, as my units were a little too few and weak, but I think it was a sound strategy. My mistake was that I didn't commit enough to it soon enough. I think if I had realized it 1 turn earlier and sent in a couple more units, I could have taken a major city.

Anyway, the lesson is to try and glean as much information as you can from your opponent's actions, and to make sure you are gathering as much recon intel as you can and not underestimate your opponent (even early 41 Soviets).
- Mark
Dinglir

RE: What your opponent is thinking

Post by Dinglir »

That is sound advice.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: uw06670

I was Soviet and after a few turns as I looked at battle results from German turn, I noticed that my opponent was not using air recon everywhere. He was being 'selective' (or lazy) and only flying them over the areas that he was advancing. This in itself didn't help much as his advance happened by the time I saw the recon activity. But it did show me where he wasn't concerned about, and that he didn't have a good idea about what my units were doing in large areas. I should mention I was doing recon across the whole front as best I could.

So I started staging some counter attacks in these recon 'voids'. They went undetected as he still didn't recon those areas the following turns, and didn't move any units to counter them. So then I launched into his flanks in two separate areas with some cavalry charges. They took him by surprise (he mentioned) and did annoy him greatly (he said). They didn't achieve as much as I was hoping, as my units were a little too few and weak, but I think it was a sound strategy. My mistake was that I didn't commit enough to it soon enough. I think if I had realized it 1 turn earlier and sent in a couple more units, I could have taken a major city.

Anyway, the lesson is to try and glean as much information as you can from your opponent's actions, and to make sure you are gathering as much recon intel as you can and not underestimate your opponent (even early 41 Soviets).

Then there is the opposite .. spamming so much recon (because the German's have quite enough) that Soviet fighters are overly fatigued casing planes with little risk of shooting anything down .. and because of game limitations on number combat reports -- the game starts to CTD (crash to desktop) [:D]

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

ORIGINAL: uw06670

Then there is the opposite .. spamming so much recon (because the German's have quite enough) that Soviet fighters are overly fatigued casing planes with little risk of shooting anything down .. and because of game limitations on number combat reports -- the game starts to CTD (crash to desktop) [:D]

Go ahead and spam recon in 42'+ against the Soviets. You may find that you aren't having the desired effect you are looking for.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
lastkozak

Post by lastkozak »

I would agree whole heartedly with uw06670, there are many ways to obtain intelligence about your opponent's army, and your opponent, which often tips one off to their intentions, and or playing style, which includes what they will and will not risk.

Military Intelligence is more than recon, spies and listening to radio traffic! Any information which gives a military force a better chance is reviewed by Acorn (Canadian Military Slang for MI).

That said, counter intelligence in real time with your opponent is also very useful. One can set traps, or mislead them, thus giving you an upper hand if they buy it! (use your imagination, and see your battle line, the way your opponent sees it).

Knowing what Generals are where, was often used to make defensive plans, as well as offensive ones, since every military has as many files on every senior officer as they can gather.

If you recall History, they Used Patton in a counter intelligence operation, to keep the Germans thinking the allies were going to attack Calais.

The big problem is, when is your opponent doing something on purpose to mislead you? And when are they doing something bc its all part of the plan; or is it that an even greater machination is afoot? (see Princess Bride scene; 'drinking poison').

Its the, ("you know", that I know "you know"), and the ("I know", that you know, that "I know" you know)!

uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

Its the, ("you know", that I know "you know"), and the ("I know", that you know, that "I know" you know)!

Ha! Yes I thought about that before I posted my tip, realizing that someone could use it to twist on their opponent. But hey, that is the risk.
- Mark

Return to “The War Room”