Advance after combat

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
AlbertN

Advance after combat

Post by AlbertN »

How it is determined which unit advance after combat? Can I decide that?

How do I manage to decide if to advance after combat or not?

I got myself in silly situations where troops advance after combat and then the turn ends, or they do not have movement points to maneuver anymore. At times out of 8+ units only 1 unit advanced (and is regularly counterattacked alone after and crushed)

I've read there is the possibility to do a limited attack; implying no unit advance after combat - but I've found it nowhere in the game options.

Also - still about combat - is there a way to attack with all units adjacent, without having to manually click on all of them? Right click on the unit desired to be attacked does not give such option, so the only way to go is to open the battle planner and select one by one all my units. A rather cumbersome way to do it.
Shadrach

RE: Advance after combat

Post by Shadrach »

I've been wondering this too - it's probably in the manual somewhere but atm can't look it up [:)]

Maybe you need to make sure the units have enough movement after combat to make sure they can move up. Maybe it's just the units that have some movement left that actually advance, or it's decided by other factors.

A limited attack is initiated from the right-click menu. However it would be nice if this could be set from the Plan Combat dialog as well, just a checkbox to make it a limited attack.

S
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

With one unit or stack of units adjacent to an enemy unit just right click the enemy unit while one of your units is selected. If any of your units are able to attack you get options depending on what you have.

If you have one available unit then you get an option to attack with that unit.
If you have one available stack then you get an option to attack with the selected unit or that unit's stack.
If you have units or stacks in other hexes that are adjacent to the enemy unit and they are available to attack you get an option to attack with all units, the current stack of units or the current selected unit.

You will have an option to minimize losses, limited losses or ignore losses.
You will have an option for limited attacks and options to minimize, limit or ignore there also.

Using the attack planner allows you to tailor your attacks to whatever degree you deem necessary. I use it a lot.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..29 05.37.jpg
ScreenHunt..29 05.37.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 245 times
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Yes, I nearly always use the Planner, it's great. However what the OP and I are asking is: What decides *which* units advance after a successful assault?

Movement points, attack score, roll of dice? Sometimes two or more units advance into the assaulted hex, sometimes just one. And without knowing exactly it's hard to plan for the next (AI) round, if you will be able to hold the new ground.

I've had the idea that the *first* unit I select will be the one that advances, so I've tried to always start my selection in the planner with the strongest one. However it doesn't seem to always be the case.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

How it is determined which unit advance after combat? Can I decide that?

How do I manage to decide if to advance after combat or not?

I got myself in silly situations where troops advance after combat and then the turn ends, or they do not have movement points to maneuver anymore. At times out of 8+ units only 1 unit advanced (and is regularly counterattacked alone after and crushed)

This is not so clear to me. I do know the unit cannot have broken off from the attack. I imagine after that it has to do with different factors. Maybe remaining movement, unit health, unit supply, unit readiness (all of these decide under morale), unit proficiency. I've never found anything concerning advance after combat myself so I have to make assumptions and grit my teeth and try to have some mobile infantry stacked with armor so if the armor advances there's a chance it will have *some* kind of support to better be able to hold the area advanced into.

Dig in after advancing which means you have to be sure to have movement points left after combat. Try to attack in echelon, that is, more than one hex wide areas. Have artillery in range of the hex you will advance into so there is more support for the advancing units.

Have reserves near that will be able to move adjacent to the unit(s) that advanced so you can set them to (T)actical mode. They will advance into the captured hex on the enemy turn giving more support to the advanced units. Remember they have to be able to enter that hex.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Which unit(s) advance after combat is a fickle thing... quite a lot of factors to be considered - remaining MP for sure, proficiency, the loss setting(s), terrain (e.g. let's say an Inf.Bn. and a Pz.Kp. attack a city hex; most likely the Inf.Btl will advance after successful combat (remember the bias of urban hexes against armoured units). But again, there are just too many factors (incl. the commanding officers of the virtual units ;)

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

If you select a limited attack, units will NOT advance into the attacked hex.
Greetings from Spain.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

ORIGINAL: JapLance

If you select a limited attack, units will NOT advance into the attacked hex.

This is what I usually do for units I DON'T want to advance after combat.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Btw that menu definitely does not come out for me.
If I right click the enemy unit adjacent to my selected unit, it simply toggles on and off my unit from its attack.
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

If I right click the enemy unit adjacent to my selected unit, it simply toggles on and off my unit from its attack.

Instead of clicking with right mouse button, click and hold with right mouse button. You'll get the menu then. Just don't rapid click it, or it does default action, i.e. plan attack.
iPhoneAppz

Post by iPhoneAppz »

But, units set to limited attack only lend 50% of their attack power, right?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I believe the one you need to adjust is in Player Options found in the Menu Bar at the top in Play.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..2918.57.jpg
ScreenHunt..2918.57.jpg (127.8 KiB) Viewed 245 times

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: iPhoneAppz

But, units set to limited attack only lend 50% of their attack power, right?
limited attack
That is correct: "Attacking units participate fully, and may advance into the location if the enemy retreats. Units conducting a Limited Attack add half their Strength to the Attack, suffer only half the losses they would in a normal Attack, and will not advance into the location after combat."

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

and will not advance into the location after combat."
I don't find this to be true at all. To be sure I just conducted two 'Limited Attacks' and in both cases the Attacker advanced into the hex. I thought maybe it was a typo meant to say 'Minimize Attacks' as that might make more sense, so I tried two attacks on Minimize and again both resulted in Attackers advancing. [:(]
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I don't find this to be true at all. To be sure I just conducted two 'Limited Attacks' and in both cases the Attacker advanced into the hex. I thought maybe it was a typo meant to say 'Minimize Attacks' as that might make more sense, so I tried two attacks on Minimize and again both resulted in Attackers advancing. [:(]

My experience is that limited usually does not advance if combined in attack with other units that are not set to limited. I do believe it is because it broke off combat early and is not considered for advance when combat concluded. If I set all units to minimize and the battle results is the evaporation of all enemy units, then some minimize units will occupy now empty hex.

Which unit actually gets chosen to advance is unknown, but it might be an equipment based thing. Its typical to see the same type advance, like engineers, mechanized, but again, just a guess. Not something that has really bothered me anyway.

Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Are you sure? Can`t remember seeing that. Just tried a overwhelming "limited" attack with many units on ignore losses, and no one advanced.
How did you make the test?
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
Are you sure? Can`t remember seeing that. Just tried a overwhelming "limited" attack with many units on ignore losses, and no one advanced. How did you make the test?

I'm sure. It has happened to me multiple times where all units set to limited (one dot) and units advanced after combat. It might be due to the rounds it takes to evaporate enemy unit(s), if it went early in rounds, you advance, if at end of rounds, no advancement.

Of course, who knows, but I'll back up the claim that minimize loss units will advance after enemy evaporates.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: gbaby

Are you sure? Can`t remember seeing that. Just tried a overwhelming "limited" attack with many units on ignore losses, and no one advanced. How did you make the test?

I'm sure. It has happened to me multiple times where all units set to limited (one dot) and units advanced after combat. It might be due to the rounds it takes to evaporate enemy unit(s), if it went early in rounds, you advance, if at end of rounds, no advancement.

Of course, who knows, but I'll back up the claim that minimize loss units will advance after enemy evaporates.
Well... thank the Oberst for using the Tutorial '41 to find out. All the saves are included and I do have to second Meyer1; limited attacks never made the chap of 11th Panzer to advance into the vacant hex.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Number of "dots" is irrelevant. A Limited Attack is something else. There are "Attacks" and there are "Limited Attacks", set by the combat popup menu.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Number of "dots" is irrelevant. A Limited Attack is something else. There are "Attacks" and there are "Limited Attacks", set by the combat popup menu.

Thanks Curtis Lemay!!! Year and half playing and I've never noticed. I always jump in the planner and just go at it (yes, I now noticed you right click there and select limited attack per unit). Now all of sudden I find I have another choice, also using "limited" term, but in relation to attack, not losses.

I do appreciate being put on the path of the righteous!
Well... thank the Oberst for using the Tutorial '41 to find out. All the saves are included and I do have to second Meyer1; limited attacks never made the chap of 11th Panzer to advance into the vacant hex.

Klink, Oberst

I've been corrected and see the error of my ways. I was discussing limited loss, not limited attack, so your right. I'm wrong. Why does that occur so often?

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”