a couple of issues

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
odoakr

a couple of issues

Post by odoakr »

Hello guys,

First of all - thank you for this wonderful game. It's trully amazing!

But I have some issues I'd like to ask about:

1. My game freezes for a second or two every time a click a mouse button, which is rather frusrating.

2. The game doesn't remember the location of the scenario folder, so I have to select the path every time I want to swith the scenario directory.

Also, I don't understand the idea of two game folders. For example, I have two hdds on my computer: one for the os, and one for stuff. So, the game is installed on one disk, and the scenarios are located on the other one.

Is there any way to solve this problems?
ralphtricky

RE: a couple of issues

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: odoakr

Hello guys,

1. My game freezes for a second or two every time a click a mouse button, which is rather frusrating.

2. The game doesn't remember the location of the scenario folder, so I have to select the path every time I want to swith the scenario directory.

Also, I don't understand the idea of two game folders. For example, I have two hdds on my computer: one for the os, and one for stuff. So, the game is installed on one disk, and the scenarios are located on the other one.

I've never heard of the freezing, I'll let zakblood follow up on that. Is it all buttons or clicking on the map or...? If you're on a small map, clicking on the map tries to center it, that's the only case I can think of where that might happen.

Windows enforces a strict policy of where things need to be installed to avoid having to run in administrator mode. They do this to prevent issues with viruses. The big this is that all data needs to be under the My Documents, and the standard for games is to put them under the My Games/Product Name Directory.

Sorry, but that's what I need to do to be a good citizen, if we put it on Steam, they will enforce those rules too.

Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Hello guys,

Rule of thumb - DXDiag dump. That will give the official techies an idea about your OS, etc. 2nd - Most of the games, and please don't ask me why, install some files in /documuments/my games despite the installation path. A pain in the neck, I do admit. Nether the less; I/we need a tad more info about the freeze, etc. What desktop/system language you got? There have been reports that non-Western languages cause issues, as such as in Windows is not very keen in using none-Unicode characters for folder names, etc.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
odoakr

Post by odoakr »

Is it all buttons or clicking on the map or...?
For example: I start the game, click New game - freeze, click on a scenario - freeze, start moving units - freeze after every hex passed.
But after several units moved, the number of freezes reduces drastically.
If I start a new scenario, it happends all over again.

And about the scenario folder, is there any way to make it selected by default?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

And about the scenario folder, is there any way to make it selected by default?
I might can help but can you give a little more detail as to what you are trying to do ?

Edit: This issue was way over my head and my suggestions here were of no help at all. Therefore, pay no attention to anything I say in this thread [:)]
odoakr

Post by odoakr »

DXDiag dump
PFA the file

Also I noticed that I have no music, despite it being selected.
I might can help but can you give a little more detail as to what you are trying to do ?
I want to switch between scenario folders (for example, WWI or WWII), so I click the default directory button. In TOAW III it's ok, but in TOAW IV I have to сhoose the scenario directory (documents/my games/toaw iv/scenarios) every time.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(80.41 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

OK, can I get your username on your local machine? I've had some issues with the internationalization and I need to set up an account with your name on my computer to play with.

Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Grestok

Post by Grestok »

Hello guys,

The game doesn't remember the location of the scenario folder, so I have to select the path every time I want to swith the scenario directory.

Hi ! Same problem here ! It's very annoying ! A little help please ?

Thank you !
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

so your post doesn't get lost and not seen, it's best to open your own thread and reply with the information needed as per link

tm.asp?m=4382074

without it, all or most replies are just guess work based on others users issues with a given or similar problem

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post with first adding the file to a zip, which is then permitted to attach to the forum
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I want to switch between scenario folders (for example, WWI or WWII), so I click the default directory button. In TOAW III it's ok, but in TOAW IV I have to сhoose the scenario directory (documents/my games/toaw iv/scenarios) every time.
Don't use the Default Directory button [highlighted in Red below] to change Scenario Folders. Click on the Folder that you want to change to [Select Folder, eh?]. If you want TOAW to always open to a folder other than Tutorials, then use the Default Directory button.

Attachments
Help7.jpg
Help7.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 196 times
odoakr

Post by odoakr »

Don't use the Default Directory button [highlighted in Red below] to change Scenario Folders. Click on the Folder that you want to change to [Select Folder, eh?]. If you want TOAW to always open to a folder other than Tutorials, then use the Default Directory button.

I dont't get it. How to change folders without clicking that button?
That's what I get when I click it:

Attachments
toaw4.jpg
toaw4.jpg (163.44 KiB) Viewed 196 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Please CLICK ON THE FOLDER.
Der Zeitgeist

Post by Der Zeitgeist »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Please CLICK ON THE FOLDER.

There are no folders to click on because the game doesn't find the folders on its own, probably because of non-english Windows "My Documents" folder names.

The only way to navigate to the scenarios in this case is clicking the "default folder" button and then navigating to the scenario folders manually each time.

It's the same problem I brought up here: tm.asp?m=4382766&mpage=1&key=�
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

non-english Windows "My Documents" folder names.
Good grief thank you, I have been wondering since the first post what was going on here and why Ralph and Zak were involved. Especially after I posted the screen shot, I was waiting for someone to give the answer you gave - There are no folders to click. Thanks again and forgive me guys for instructing you to do something that apparently you cannot do.

But I will suggest a possible temporary fix - rename the folders to their English titles to see if that works ? I can do it here with no adverse effect that I can tell, below are the folder names [one that I added is blacked out, you don't need that one].

Attachments
Beta221.jpg
Beta221.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 196 times
odoakr

Post by odoakr »

No problem.

It seems I can't rename 'my documents', as it is a system folder.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I am not bold enough to install a foreign language here and then try it out. I was suggesting that you try renaming your foreign language SCENARIO FOLDERS to their English names, as seen below, to see if it will work properly until the issue is officially sorted out. [The Red boxes show the path, right click on the folders to rename them].

Attachments
Help10.jpg
Help10.jpg (152.37 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Der Zeitgeist

Post by Der Zeitgeist »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I am not bold enough to install a foreign language here and then try it out. I was suggesting that you try renaming your foreign language SCENARIO FOLDERS to their English names, as seen below, to see if it will work properly until the issue is officially sorted out. [The Red boxes show the path, right click on the folders to rename them].

I don't think this will work, as the scenario folder names aren't the real problem. These are all English anyway, because there's no foreign language version of TOAW IV (AFAIK).

The real problem might not even be the Documents folder structure in non-English Windows versions, as these only show their (in my case) German names when viewed in the Explorer. The underlying folder names are still in English.

What might be the problem, however, are foreign characters that are used in the Windows user name, which is part of the folder structure in the Documents folder. For example, my Windows user name contains the German "Umlaut" "ü", as the following screenshot shows. Maybe the other people having this problem are also having special characters in their Windows user names?

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Interesting, and thanks again. I've barked up the wrong tree enough on this, so I will bail at this point. I have also posted this in the development forum, hopefully you guys will get a solution soon.
piotre

Post by piotre »

I don't thing the problem lies in having a localized OS either: mine is in Italian ("documents" reads "documenti" for instance), but I'm having no issues.
I have no foreign characters in my folder structure though.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

I'm pretty sure that the issue is in my switching to the 'new' (over 10 years old) Windows API. The old installation had everything in one non-standard directory so, while it had to run as administrator, it ran just fine. Unfortunately, it had a bug in the patch code that meant that it still didn't work correctly. I've reached out to some people who have issues and have asked them to help me test further. At least one person has had success.

I've even gone to the point of setting up a Chinese login and changing my language to Chinese. Something will click eventually, but for now, the DefaultFolder.txt with a modified text file I can PM people should work. Worst case, I can add a different txt file called OriginalFolder will force things back to the same directory for everything which should work.

The stuttering has me completely baffled right now. The display code at the lowest level is essentially the same as in TOAW 3. It reads and writes bytes to a buffer, the major difference is that I cache a lot more stuff and try to keep it in the video card memory (unless the smallmemory flag is set) This is very much old school and I wonder if some video drivers are mishandling the large amount of small buffers I'm using. Most games now are 3D and use a completely different technology.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

Return to “Tech Support”