We've Fixed the Artillery Screen - Guaranteed!!!!

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Major_Mess

We've Fixed the Artillery Screen - Guaranteed!!!!

Post by Major_Mess »

[center]Forget about all those other attempts at fixing the Artillery Screen.[/center]

I am so proud to announce that The Depot is releasing a solution that has finally once and for all fixed the notorious Artillery Screen bug that has plagued this fine game for many years now.
A small patch that fixes a few lines of buggy code.
We have been testing this patch for a month now, and I can report to you that it works on every machine we've tried it on.
Intel / AMD / multi-core / even single-core / Win 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / XP - it just works. [8D]

This patch, on top of solving the Arty problem - as if that isn't enough!!, also fixes the super-fast scrolling on these other screens:
- Paratroop setup Screen
- Glider setup Screen
- Infiltration setup Screen
- Edit Victory Objectives Screen
- C&C Objectives Screen
these following items had to be dealt with in another fashion, these ones will have a different (but OK) scrolling speed
- Build Mines/Barbed Wire/Tank Trap Screen
- Set Front Line Screen
- Entrenchment Screen
- Load/Unload Units Screen

Wooo Hooo!!!!!! is all I can say, other than shout out a big Honkin' Thank You to the two gentlemen that looked into the problem and came up with the fix - Riitaoja2 from this site, and Ghotik, the developer of DxWnd.

Also, to take advantage of this impressive breakthrough, a game patch with some minor OOB, graphics and Scenario fixes has been bundled up to be offered to you at the same time. We were also given permission by Mr. Erik Cumps to include his fine program - War Cab in our new release.

So, for you the discerning Gamer The Depot has now provided three options to enjoy this game as it should be.

A brand new complete installation of the most up to date Enhanced mod of SPWaW along with all the other bits and pieces.
The Depot are calling this new iteration of the game SPWaW Enhanced-FR Full Install

If you have the SPWaW 2016 download already on your HD, we have a patch file that will bump that version up to this new and improved Steel Panthers: World at War.

The Full Game and/or the patch for SPWaW 2016 can both be found HERE!!!

Annnnnnnnnnd, to also allow the many players that prefer the stock 8.403 game (along with all those folks that have bought the Generals Edition over the years) we took the time to patch the stock 8.403 mech.exe and you can find that version right HERE!!

I am soooooo happy!!!!
(and I think you will be too) [:)]

Come visit The Depot, download this and then go blow something up.

cheers to all of you

Major Mess
Click below. You know you want to!!

freddiefly

RE: We've Fixed the Artillery Screen - Guaranteed!!!!

Post by freddiefly »

Thanks very much Gentlemen that worked for me when all the previous fixes did not. Time to revisit operation Weserübung [:)][:)][:)]
tjfox1

Post by tjfox1 »

When I try and run mech.exe (8.403 version), it is blocked because it tries to run an outside app from www.tapatalk.com, what is that all about?
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: tjfox1

When I try and run mech.exe (8.403 version), it is blocked because it tries to run an outside app from www.tapatalk.com, what is that all about?

I have no idea, but I'll find out.

Do you mean that when you went to D/L the 8.403 patch you got blocked??
My apologies for not clearly understanding you.

I'll get back to you.

MM

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

Hi, I'm back.

I just downloaded the 8.403 patch from The Depot site.
It's a .zip file, I unpacked it in my Download folder with no issues.
I then dragged the mech.exe file on to my 8.403 install an it overwrote the original.

What am I missing here??
Tapatalk hosts The Depot, that I know.

You're saying that Tapatalk is trying to dump something else on to you???
Do you run any adblockers on your web browser?? I use Chrome with uBlock so maybe I don't get to see anything like that.

Anyways, I'd copy/paste your post over there and try to get some sorta answer.

cheers

MM

Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

Can you describe the message in more detail?

And also what package did you download?
-ENH-FR_Full_Install.exe
-SPWaW ENH-FR updated files - Oct 31 2017.zip
-Depot Patch 8403d.zip

Microsoft Windows can block downloaded executables from running but this should not happen if the executable is distributed in a .zip file. I see that the Enhanced full mod is distributed as "ENH-FR_Full_Install.exe" and this might cause Windows User Access control to be triggered causing all the included files to be blocked from running and tagged as unsafe. If this is the case then you will need administrator rights to be able to bypass the lock.
tjfox1

Post by tjfox1 »

When trying to run the game, after DL and unpacking and overwriting the Mech.exe file, my Trend Mico blocks the Mech.exe file from running or at least gives me a warning not to proceed. Yes it seems Tapatalk is trying to dump something else onto my system.
tjfox1

Post by tjfox1 »

Depot Patch 8403d.zip

I've tried DL it 3 times always the same.

The Trend Mico message that pops up says it has to do with software trying to hijack my system
tjfox1

Post by tjfox1 »

Here is screen shot

Attachments
mech.jpg
mech.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Hi tjfox1, this just seems to be a false alarm from your security program.
I can assure you that I myself and many others are running this file and it is not malware.
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

It is classified as a suspicious file by Trend. That is better than a false positive which would actually deny running the file completely. Now at least it gives you the option "Open File" that should run it.

Just to be sure I downloaded the patch and compared it to the original 8.403 mech.exe and found nothing out of the ordinary. So it should be safe to run.

When you right click the patched 8.403d mech.exe and go to properties the size should be:
2.86 MB (3 001 256 bytes)
and the modified date should be:
21 October 2017, 2:12:25
(Windows tends to change the Created and Accessed dates but I think the modified date should stay constant.)
tjfox1

Post by tjfox1 »

Thanks everyone for checking this out, I'm very careful about downloading files anymore and when a warning pops up it's a real concern.
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

Thanks everyone for checking this out, I'm very careful about downloading files anymore and when a warning pops up it's a real concern.
That is perfectly understandable in this day and age.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Norton does not like the full-install.exe either although that is because they do not have enough information about it. It asks me if I want to trust it or not. Microsoft Edge takes the same stance.

Many, many thanks for solving the arty bug. I bought the General's Edition a long time ago but the arty bug kept me away from this game for so many years. It will be nice to finally enjoy it. Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

My Avast gave similar message and asked to send it into their "lab" for checking... After some minutes came "ok" message;). Now SPWAW works ok:)

PS.Does this work with H2H and 1960-79 mods too? Can I copy same files "safely" into them?
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

My Avast gave similar message and asked to send it into their "lab" for checking... After some minutes came "ok" message;). Now SPWAW works ok:)

PS.Does this work with H2H and 1960-79 mods too? Can I copy same files "safely" into them?

Not yet but I bet R2 could do that. :)
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

For 1960-79 mod it is fine. However for Panzer Leo's H2H mod a separate update may be needed. The simplest thing would be to just use MechEdit04 to transfer the H2H experience/morale tables into the 8.403d mech.exe. However the original H2H mod is based on SPWAW v.7.1. I do remember that an updated H2H mod for 8.403 was also released but I do not think it is available anymore.

So in summary we have a couple of options for H2H mod:
1. Update the H2H mech.exe v.7.1 with the mouse click and scroll delay fixes.
2. Find the H2H mech.exe that is based on 8.403 and update it.
3. Simply copy the H2H exp/morale tables into 8.403d. However this option would miss out on some naming changes and possibly other tweaks that Panzer Leo made to the mech.exe.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

We have the files for the 8.403 version of H2H over at The Depot.

Major Mess

Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Probably safest to take the H2H version and add the lag fix to it. Unless you are certain that you know every edit in the H2H version. It may be more than just the exp/morale values.
sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Ok I play H2H more seldom than Enhanced/1960-79 mods. I will add those files to 1960-79 mod.... Thanks about solving arty problem[:D] !

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”