SPWaW Technical Issues

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Eisenfaust

RE: SPWaW Technical Issues

Post by Eisenfaust »

Hello!
I've just bought the General's Edition and would loke to ask: if there is any possibility to run the game in window? (Windows 7 64-bit.)
Alby

Post by Alby »

MechaMaestro

Post by MechaMaestro »

I have the artillery and colour fix installed along with running the game windowed through DXWind, and patched to the latest version, but saving my game, and sometimes ending my turn causes the game to crash. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

ORIGINAL: MechaMaestro

I have the artillery and colour fix installed along with running the game windowed through DXWind, and patched to the latest version, but saving my game, and sometimes ending my turn causes the game to crash. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Try deleting the file "steel.prf" from your \Steel Panthers World at War\save\ -folder.
MechaMaestro

Post by MechaMaestro »

Didn't work. This same issue kept coming up for all versions and variants of steel panthers (MBT, WAW, WW2) but I managed to fix it for WW2 and MBT by running those games as administrators. It works for WAW as well, but if I'm running it as an administrator, the Colour fix doesn't work. It's mostly playable, but things like smoke still look awful.
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

Running the game through DXWnd should fix the colors also. You do not need the separate color fix for that. You also need to make sure you run DXWnd as administrator.

Edit:
Also it is a good idea to have SPWAW installed in its own directory for example C:\SPWAW. If you have it under C:\Program Files or some other Windows managed folder you may run into issues.

EDIT
I have uploaded a new "all-in-one" fix for SPWAW in this Thread:
tm.asp?m=4060116

And if all else fails there is the option to run the game through VirtualBox:
tm.asp?m=4028929
Thrall99

Post by Thrall99 »

Well, time to say good bye to an old friend. Crash game issues every time I use machine-guns in Mega Campaigns. Mind you, the
Artillery screen is a nightmare, and Win 10 does squat for this game. Actually debating installing this on my old Win XP platform
or ditching the PC world for consoles...Damn depressing. Bring back the Amiga 500 !!![X(]
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

ORIGINAL: Thrall99

Well, time to say good bye to an old friend. Crash game issues every time I use machine-guns in Mega Campaigns. Mind you, the
Artillery screen is a nightmare, and Win 10 does squat for this game. Actually debating installing this on my old Win XP platform
or ditching the PC world for consoles...Damn depressing. Bring back the Amiga 500 !!![X(]

I know what you mean! I wish I still had my Commodore 64. [:(] Things were so much simpler back then.

For the mega campaigns I know that the game has a bug where if you have COMMAND CONTROL ON in the preferences it crashes. So if it is only crashing in mega campagins maybe that is the reason?

For the artillery screen have you tried the fix I posted?
Thrall99

Post by Thrall99 »

Thanks Ritaoja2, on a serious note, I noticed when the game crashes, I get the "mech.exe" error message. This occurs in all game modes ( mega campaign, campaign, scenarios)
I run the game on an old Dell, twin-core,integrated video card, but most telling, it started 4 days ago out of the blue, when Win 10 locked up ( again)
Any advice appreciated on dealing with mech.exe error.
BTW, I tried de-installing and re-install...no go.
TY
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

ORIGINAL: Thrall99

Thanks Ritaoja2, on a serious note, I noticed when the game crashes, I get the "mech.exe" error message. This occurs in all game modes ( mega campaign, campaign, scenarios)
I run the game on an old Dell, twin-core,integrated video card, but most telling, it started 4 days ago out of the blue, when Win 10 locked up ( again)
Any advice appreciated on dealing with mech.exe error.
BTW, I tried de-installing and re-install...no go.
TY
Windows 10 locking up might be telling that there is a problem in the computer. Perhaps a driver issue or more worryingly a failing component.

I do not know of any generic fix for a mech.exe error. But one easy test you could try is to rename the "SND" -folder in the game directory to something else. ("SND_off" for example.) This should disable the sounds for the game. You can also try to disable all the sounds from the Preferences screen.

If the game then runs without a crash with sounds disabled then it would point to a problem with the sound drivers or audio codecs.
Thrall99

Post by Thrall99 »

Again, my thanks. Will try it out. Tis true that sometimes, the sound from other games in this machine die out and, for some reason, I can't shut down the PC afterwards short of doing it manually.
Oh, how I loathe Win 10...
Grrahl

Post by Grrahl »

Running Mech in Win98 compatibility doesnt solve the bombard issue :(
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

A new fix for the artillery screen mouse lag has been found and so far it seems 100% effective woot!

Come to the SP:WaW Depot and download the fix.

In fact I highly recommend the SP:WaW Depot for all your SP:WaW needs.
The forum is much more active than this one and populated by a group of long time SP:WaW veterans.
All the game files you will ever need are easily available.
We can usually help people with any problem they are having.
The people answering you here are usually SP:WaW Depot members and you will probably get a faster response if you just go there to begin with.

By the way, that problem mentioned above about crashing from machine gun fire sounds like it might be related to a bad sound file.
Are you using any sort of mod when you play the mega-campaigns?
If you are playing Lost Victories, do you have the sound patch installed for it?

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”