Price?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Falcon1

RE: Price?

Post by Falcon1 »

LOL you all know you are going to pay whatever is asked.
We have had our noses pressed against the window for too long now. :)
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Okay I'm going to have to respectfully withdraw this comment. Because of some late modifications to the game it has now changed to the point that it will be a different game and it will have to be played in ways that have changed considerably. My apologies.

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Not to convince them to raise the price, but yeah, as soon as I see some sexy screen shots I will probably cave [;)]
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'd be surprised if it doesn't fall in the higher cost bracket. Granted it's not a totally new game..but lets be honest we'd never see a new game cover so much again. The title is worthy of the higher bracket in my opinion.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Because of some late modifications to the game it has now changed to the point that it will be a different game and it will have to be played in ways that have changed considerably. My apologies.
Wow, I must have missed some important posts... Pray tell.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Well the most important was (NDA). Put that on top of (NDA) and (NDA) and you get a whole new way you have to think about your moves and combats. It's not going to be the same game. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Well the most important was (NDA). Put that on top of (NDA) and (NDA) and you get a whole new way you have to think about your moves and combats. It's not going to be the same game. [;)]

Mmmm I would think that is related to the BTS thingie, but we already knew about that...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

So you became a beta tester and had time to completely reverse your opinion of the game in the 24 hours between your first and second posts??
[&:][&:][&:]
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Actually, he has been a beta tester for quite a while now, so probably he just shouldn't have commented on the whole issue at all ;) But to clear up, since he is not allowed to explain it fully: earlier he had trouble understanding how the new mechanics eliminating the classical abuse of IGOUGO gameplay works, and did not appreciate until just now. :)

Fairly soon we will explain it properly in detail, but the gist of it is that we are utilising the turn phases and time stamps to remove a classical exploit: normally, what you'd do in a turn-based game to encircle and eliminate a defending unit is to encircle it while it stands inactive, then attack it with your yet unmoved unit standing next to it. Prevented from retreat, the defender would be eliminated, and your attacking unit is still fresh as not having yet moved, ready to advance deep into enemy territory. Right?

Well, that's not exactly realistic, is it? What we have done is that if your encircling units took X time within a turn to get to a position to block retreat, then if they DO block retreat of the defending unit, then the combat will take at least X time as well. This simulates the fact that even if they are just passive participants in the combat they are participating (by virtue of blocking routes of retreat), and thus the combat that ensues cannot start before the blocking units arrive in their position to participate in the ensuing. :)

I hope that makes at least some sense. As I mentioned, once the guys are less busy, we will make a post explaining it better than I could.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

That makes perfect sense and it sounds like a good way to address the issue.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I've played TOAW from the very first version. Every iteration has moved it forward a few baby steps, including TOAWIII. But much has always been missing for me to consider them new games. To be honest, this last brand new piece has turned TOAWIV into a new game. This is why I had to change my opinion. Now all of these new things combined have most certainly made TOAWIV something you have to think differently about when you are playing it. In other words, it works like a new game. Price? I have no idea. I think it would well be worth the average price of a newly released Matrix game. I am very excited. Thank you Tamas for your comment. [&o]

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Do the extra rounds get burned only if a retreat is attempted and prevented due to being surrounded?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1
Do the extra rounds get burned only if a retreat is attempted and prevented due to being surrounded?
No. Bob has explained the thing here:
tm.asp?m=4274372
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Tamas
I hope that makes at least some sense. As I mentioned, once the guys are less busy, we will make a post explaining it better than I could.

Thanks, it does, sort of, but I can't say that I fully understood. Will wait for my personal epiphany I guess.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Well you can rest assured some will not like it because they won't be able to use some of the gamey strategy and tactics they used to use. Others will love it because it addresses so many time/space issues that most igougo war games ignore. There are still a hand full of things that could be done about certain aspects of the game. Maybe a future patch(es).

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”