Sending build and resources to France or Free France

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Viktor_Kormel_slith

Sending build and resources to France or Free France

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

Hi, in my current game, France have been incompletely conquered. I have chosen Senegal like new home country.

My questions are:

a)How many resources, build points can get in and go out into or from Dakar?

b)How many build points can save in Dakar?

c)How many build points France could use in one turn with Senegal like her home country?

d)Wich is you favourite country to be the new home country for France or Free France and why?

Thank you for your help.
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
paulderynck

RE: Sending build and resources to France or Free France

Post by paulderynck »

a) unlimited - major port
b) 16 (4 each for port and city, doubled for capital)
c) 16 (all can be used from the capital)
d) Senegal because of the above and if you build them a factory it is self served, it just doesn't happen very often,
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

e) it's only 3 sea area's away from both the US and Canada.
f) it's far enough from possible Axis troops to be save. You don't want another halving of the Free French forcepool (which is the reason why you shouldn't take Syria or a North African country as new home country for the French).
Peter
Viktor_Kormel_slith

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

Thanks, then Senegal is a good election. Usually, at least with Free France, I choose Congo, but with only a minor port and with the problems of the convoy system it is a nightmare trading resources or build points. Not withstanding, don´t you think that with Spain in axis hands, Senegal and the convoy chain, is a little vulnerable?
I was thinking that Guyana seems a good option too except but the minor port.
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Let me put it this way. I've never seen the Axis conquer the Spanish Sahara, even if they control Gibraltar.

Everything is possible, of course. But if the Axis can spare the necessary units to conquer Senegal, the Allies have probably lost the game already...
Peter
Majorball68

Post by Majorball68 »

How many Build Points and/or resources go thru a minor port?

If Belgium Congo is the new French homeland cannot the BP come from the South African Major port then by rail?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

5 total resources inbound plus outbound for a minor port. If Belgium Congo were the new home country for France that should work but isn't it the Middle Congo you are referring to? If so, there's no rail connection.
Paul
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

Since French West Africa is rarely Free French, I generally choose Gabon or French Somaliland as the Capital for the Free French. The advantage of French Somaliland is that it is close to the India factories so it is easy for the Brits to send one or two BPs to Free France. Also, if France is falling and you want to try to save some French units for Free France, it is easier to get them to French Somaliland than to any other of the Equatorial French African colonies.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The problem there is that the Italians often conquer French Somaliland prior to Vichyfication.
Paul
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

Really, how do they manage to maintain supply? A single ship or plane in the Red Sea would cut off their supply.
If Italy started with units on the boarder of British or French Somaliland, as the CW player I would use one my discretionary placements to place units appropriately to prevent their capture.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Really, they use the Eritrean or Somali or Ethiopian or AOI Territorials (who have numerous supply sources) and just walk in.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

And the CW can do nothing about it, if the Italians only DoW the French...
Peter
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

Even if Italy only declares war upon France, a CW unit could still be moved into Djibouti.

One of the things that makes WiF so re-playable is that there are few absolute strategies; the permutations are nearly endless. There is usually a potential consequence for any chosen action
I always play with the oil rules. This significantly restricts what Italy is able to do with its ships.
Whenever, I play the Allies, I always move the MTN unit into Djibouti during the first Allied impulse to discourage any Italian adventurism in French Somaliland.

The loss of one medium combat value unit does not seem to effect the defense of France.

Return to “WIF School”