ARNHEM

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

UP844

RE: ARNHEM

Post by UP844 »

Yes, I met it, but I gave it no more occasions to strike at me. The airborne squads entering from the south edge of the map took the three VP hexes on the east bank (with substantial fire support from the Shermans).

The IA was especially lethargic: it did not react at all when I took all the VP hexes. In turn #8, I controlled all VP hexes. I expected a counterattack from the south-east (besides the Marder, I have spotted a StuG and there is some sparse infantry in the area), but it never materialized.

I suffered unnecessary infantry losses: after the 88 was gone, I should have retreated my infantry from the riverfront houses and should have waited until the Shermans wiped out the two 20mm AA guns, which have been quite lethal.

Attachments
nijmegen_us.jpg
nijmegen_us.jpg (830.05 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
UP844

Post by UP844 »

"Climax at Nijmegen" is much harder when played on the German side.

German forces are so spread out OOC will be a common occurrence; you only have two AFVs, and one of them is a very fragile Marder (which managed to hit the 76mm Sherman four times - an APCR and three AP shots - in a single Defensive Fire segment but never managed to penetrate [:(]). On the other hand, the AA guns proved as deadly as they were when the AI operated them.

The screenshot has been taken in the very last segment of the game: the German stack will advance in the VP hex, gaining a Major Victory (what else? :mrgreen:), but it has been a very tough affair. The US HS on the bridge is the sole unbroken US infantry unit; there is also a 76mm Sherman, but it seemed quite happy to remain sheltered from the 88 fire [:D].

@Rico: This is one of your best scenarios to date [&o].

@Peter: The message in the bottom right box refers to a HS that was in the VP hex the German units are about to enter. The HS didn't rout, but stayed in place and was eliminated (for being adjacent to enemy unbroken units, I suppose). I think it had a legal path to the adjacent building hex: am I wrong?

Attachments
nijmegen_ge.jpg
nijmegen_ge.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 348 times

Siegfried Sassoon

lk2500

Post by lk2500 »

ORIGINAL: rico21

I see that you have met the wolf![:D]
You need more than a ranger to win!

P.S:IK2500,I made this campaign for you and you only play one scenario, you have to buy Kursk DLC to be forgiven[:D]

Trust me, I do appreciate your efforts! I promise to play all the scenarios and purchase the Kursk DLC.
UP844

Post by UP844 »

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going [:D].

Attachments
Tough_times.jpg
Tough_times.jpg (387.93 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Siegfried Sassoon

UP844

Post by UP844 »

Unfortunately, my bold heroes were wiped out in a single turn [:(].

At the end of the scenario, I only managed to get a Draw (69 VP); I only lost the southernmost VP hex (8 VP). The scenario is quite tough for the Americans, and could have been worse if the lead Panther of the northern force had not remained in its set-up hex all the time, firing at a unit 8 hexes away and preventing the other 2 Panthers from moving [:D].

The highlights of the game included:
- an 81mm mortar that fired on a hex containing a PzIV and some infantry: its fire immobilized and then shocked the tank (unfortunately, it recovered in the subsequent Rally Segment. This does not mean medium mortars are to be considered as effective AT guns, but if you have nothing else to use, you may try your luck
- the M8 armored car positioning itself between two houses, with a clear shot to the northernmost Panther in the image above: unfortunately, it went OOC for two subsequent turns and was destroyed by the Panther.

Tonight, I will try playing the scenario with the Germans, though I think it would turn into a one-sided massacre.

P.S. APDS rounds for the 57mm proved quite useless against the Panther front aspect: I hit them 4 times without any effect [:(].

Siegfried Sassoon

UP844

Post by UP844 »

As expected, a barely competent player can do wonders for the Germans: at the end of turn 5, no American units remained on the map. The Germans won an easy victory: the only avoidable loss has been a PzIV, which I - wrongly - thought was invulnerable to the 37mm gun of the M8 armored car. The other 2 AFV losses are two 251's that were destroyed during the American Fire Segment on Turn 1 (there's not much the German player can do to avoid losing some AFVs in that phase).

Playing the Germans in this scenario is neither challenging nor amusing [:(], unless you are a wannabe Joachim Peiper.

Attachments
Milk_run.jpg
Milk_run.jpg (688.5 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

It was a question? [:'(][:D]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

No, it was a statement [:D], and a heartfelt one.

The Scenario Outcome window in the screenshot I posted above should clearly explain why I found this scenario as boring as watching paint dry, when it is played on the German side). I lost 3 AFVs: two of them were killed by AT Guns on turn 1, the other was the result of a mistake of mine. The only squad I lost was killed by the usual AI-artillery-from-hell-with-spotting-drones.

Basically, all you have to do is placing your AFVs 5+ hexes from an American position (CE if you feel lucky, Airborne squads won't fire at you, only MGs and mortar will) and blast them until they break. 57mm AT guns can hardly scratch the paint on the frontal armor of a Panther, even with APDS, bazookas cannot fire farther than 4 hexes and are as useless as the 57mm against a competently played Panther.

Then you repeat the whole affair with the next position, then the next... and so on until you have slaughtered them all.

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

?[&o]

Attachments
list1.jpg
list1.jpg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 348 times
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Rico, you are a (n evil) genius [:D]

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Where's my medal of honor statement???????????[:(]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Unfortunately, this weekend I must work and I have no time to play ToTH [:(].

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Add to your list[:D]

Attachments
uptank.jpg
uptank.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: UP844

Rico, you are a (n evil) genius [:D]

Couldn't of said it better...[:D]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Let's take a break from work...

Despite my abysmal level of play tonight (I could and should have made much better, using .50 cal to interdict German movement at long range, which I didn't [:(]) I managed to get a Major Victory without much trouble.
I destroyed 3 out of 4 AFVs in CC. BAZ only accounted for a Panther: the BAZ team starting adjacent to the German tanks went OOC and was propmptly killed by German Defensive Fire. As the German tanks moved forward, I fired 3 shots at 1-hex range: one missed, one failed to penetrate and the third killed a big cat [:D]. In the Advance Segment, the enraged paratroopers charged another Panther and a 250/9 and killed them both in CC.

And now back to work (ToTH is fun, but won't play the bills). Tomorrow I will try playing the German side, even though it looks like another one-sided massacre.

Attachments
Medal_of_Honor.jpg
Medal_of_Honor.jpg (711.41 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Attachments
arnhem194..368book.jpg
arnhem194..368book.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 348 times
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Played the German side this afternoon.
The 250/9 was killed in the very first American Fire Segment by the bazooka team, which was subsequently vaporized by German return fire. German infantry entered the wood, taking heavy casualties and a Panther moved on the right flank to provide fire support.
As the fight in the wood progressed, at the start of Turn 3, I was wondering where have the reinforcements gone: I opened the OOB menu and saw that the human player receives no reinforcements [X(]. The game turned into a massive brawl in the southern woods. One of the Panthers suffered MA malfunction and the other went forward to replace it, but was killed by a bazooka with a side hit.

At the end of turn 4, most American squads were broken and eliminated due to failure to route. A German HS discovered a stack of Americans in the wooden building east of the wood and - by sheer luck - survived the defensive fire. In the meantime, a B* leader and a MMG-armed squad dashed north to take the VP Hex, together with the remaining Panther (still with no MA).

At this time, the Germans have earned enough VP to get a Major victory, but I don't know when both sides qualify for the same Victory level, so I decided to take the VP hex and to set up an ambush for the remaining Americans in the south, should they attempt to retake the VP hex.

The Panther and its accompanying infantry took the VP on turn 5; the Americans moved forward and fell into the ambush as planned. The game ended with a German Major Victory, no surviving US units and - to my surprise - far fewer German casualties than I expected.

In my opinion, IA-controlled Americans should also have some extra forces to make thing more exciting for a German human player :D.

Attachments
Medal_of_Honor_GE.jpg
Medal_of_Honor_GE.jpg (701.64 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

I do not want to make scenarios impossible or winnable only with the help of backups and then for there to be good scenarios, there must be others worse. Not to mention that the gaming experience varies from player to player.
P.S: you should like the last scenario or should I say my last joker ...
lk2500

Post by lk2500 »

ORIGINAL: rico21

I do not want to make scenarios impossible or winnable only with the help of backups and then for there to be good scenarios, there must be others worse. Not to mention that the gaming experience varies from player to player.
P.S: you should like the last scenario or should I say my last joker ...

Well I had to use backups :( and only managed a draw on "Devil's Hill" so far.

I'd love to hear how ya'll won this one with the 82nd. I do have a few more tactics I'd like to try but I think I'll move on to the next scenario for now.

TIA,
dave68124

Post by dave68124 »

Playing through the Arnhem scenarios as the Allies - wow, each scenario is different and challenging. Each scenario coming down to the last turn or two. A couple scenarios I banged my head against for a couple days to solve the puzzle. Still trying to just get a draw for the Americans on - Arnhem 7 - Sint-Oedenrode.

Thanks for sharing these great scenarios and all of the other scenarios that you produce.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”