B-Mod Update

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Big B

B-Mod Update

Post by Big B »

I believe I have gotten it where I always wanted it.

See READ ME file - here:

Maybe now I can see about an honest 'What-If?' someday
Last edited by Big B on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falken

RE: B-Mod, Last Update

Post by Falken »

Thanks Brian.

Excellent Mod. I use this for my H2H Solitaire games. It will also be interesting to see how John's BTS Version, based on yours, will play differently from their existing DBB version.

I'm hoping that John will also be able to incorporate any last minute fixes that you have been able to update yours with.

Fan as always, Dave....
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Falken

Thanks Brian.

Excellent Mod. I use this for my H2H Solitaire games. It will also be interesting to see how John's BTS Version, based on yours, will play differently from their existing DBB version.

I'm hoping that John will also be able to incorporate any last minute fixes that you have been able to update yours with.

Fan as always, Dave....

Thanks Falken,
I don't know if John can update his massive work to this - he'll have to do quite a bit - essentially re-do China again. It would be nice but we'll see.

I am including below a couple graphics I included on my READ ME file, and last comments on modelling China...
By the way - I failed in THIS post to give a proper nod to the RHS Development Team - Acknowledged in pioneering where I took it.
[A last word about China: The main emphasis of this mod has been to drag this wonderful game into a more historical/realistic simulation of WW2 in Asia/Pacific.
The biggest challenge has proven to be recreating the situation in China. The engine is built on a system of supply that works well enough for the industrial nations of Japan and the Western Allies, but totally fails to represent China.
The point of redefining Chinese supply is a game decision made to still make the industrial powers work in the game, while allowing China to historically perform as she did in WW2. This has been accomplished mainly by giving China a large proportion of Daily Supply to suppliment the Japanese and Western styled supply system.
This problem has been acknowledged by the original developers since the first days of the original War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945
– when the developers decided to include China - mainly as a way to train Japanese air units.
Since then, the total war of Japan has taken a life of it's own, leaving China easy meat to be conquered in most competitive PBEM Games....altering any historical semblance to a recognizable simulation of WW2 against Japan.
For this reason – China has been radically altered (though fairly true to real Chinese OOB) as well as giving China it's means to carry on a war against Japan independent of Western Allied supply assistance (which on balance – was negligable).

Hopefully, historical minded players will appreciate the work done to make this happen.]

Attachments
ChineseArmy.jpg
ChineseArmy.jpg (117.77 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Hotei

Post by Hotei »

This seems very interesting, I will download this for sure, thank you for your work.
Big B

Post by Big B »

Thank you,
Give it a try - you'll never go back if you want something realistic [;)]
Hotei

Post by Hotei »

ORIGINAL: Big B

Thank you,
Give it a try - you'll never go back if you want something realistic [;)]

First comments from the Japanese point of view.

I opened up the game and could tell from the start that China is very difficult for Japan now, well done.
More PPs in play will actually benefit the allies more, most likely the Japanese wont get to buy many units from the Chinese front but might have to use them to move units in.
The pilots now available would change my previous strategies in using air power, Japan would have strong air superiority at the start.

I dont know what allied players think but I would be happy to play this scenario as it does seem to fix China.

Pacific War started in China and it was the main effort of Japan for most of the war, your scenario gives a new and historical challenge for the players.

Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Hotei

I opened up the game and could tell from the start that China is very difficult for Japan now, well done.
More PPs in play will actually benefit the allies more, most likely the Japanese wont get to buy many units from the Chinese front but might have to use them to move units in.
The pilots now available would change my previous strategies in using air power, Japan would have strong air superiority at the start.

I dont know what allied players think but I would be happy to play this scenario as it does seem to fix China.

Pacific War started in China and it was the main effort of Japan for most of the war, your scenario gives a new and historical challenge for the players.

Thank you, I designed it as a double edged sword...
Experience in playing has shown me it is challenging for a Japanese player.
If a Japanese player insists on trying to conquer all of China - he will most likely entangle himself in a Tar-Baby he can't escape by freeing up Chinese units that could never otherwise move.
On the other hand, if a Japanese player ignores China - he will find himself reeling from counter attack eventually.
It should (as I have seen, and designed) be a headache for Japan...but a Japan with a stronger Air Force - than in stock.

Good Grief!

B

EDIT: It should prove to be very much - a player's game of judgement
Hotei

Post by Hotei »

If a Japanese player insists on trying to conquer all of China - he will most likely entangle himself in a Tar-Baby he can't escape by freeing up Chinese units that could never otherwise move.
On the other hand, if a Japanese player ignores China - he will find himself reeling from counter attack eventually.
It should (as I have seen, and designed) be a headache for Japan...but a Japan with a stronger Air Force - than in stock.

Good Grief!

B

I want to try this in my PBEM, I feel this is new sandbox where I want to play.[:D]
Big B

Post by Big B »

Thanks Hotei,
Remember - there are NO NEW UNITS, Nor any units that didn't exist, but it's going to be real challenge for an experienced Japanese Player, and a real Challenge for an experienced ALLIED Player, because the IJA and IJN Air units are substantially stronger that stock.

I wanted it to be realistic and a headache for everyone. :-)

Good Grief!

B

I want to try this in my PBEM, I feel this is new sandbox where I want to play.[:D]
Hotei

Post by Hotei »

Thanks Hotei,
Remember - there are NO NEW UNITS, Nor any units that didn't exist, but it's going to be real challenge for an experienced Japanese Player, and a real Challenge for an experienced ALLIED Player, because the IJA and IJN Air units are substantially stronger that stock.

But USN does get working torpedoes sooner so these changes seem to go both directions.
Also allies get to buy more units from restricted commands and is also a boost for them.

Can this still be played PDU on in your opinion and not be an unfair jump start for Japan?
I am a novice player in PBEM, do you think this scenario is too difficult for a first time player?

DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

I would like to see a what if mod from you.
Big B

Post by Big B »

OK, you have gone where no one else has asked - Finally
I have explored the War time sub patrol records of most subs of 1942
Then I ran 24 test games of 13 months to see results - real time was some 625 hours.

Here is the results:

With USN Torpedoe Dud Rate On - Sinkings avg = (in game) 50.08 in 12 months (divided by 12 games)
With USN Dud Rate Off - (In 12 months) 149.5

Historical USN Fleet-boat rate for 1942= Warships 15, merchants 152.

So, with the USN MK 14 Torpedo adjustment, it should be dead on accurate. Figure below.

quote]ORIGINAL: Hotei

Thanks Hotei,

But USN does get working torpedoes sooner so these changes seem to go both directions.
Also allies get to buy more units from restricted commands and is also a boost for them.

Can this still be played PDU on in your opinion and not be an unfair jump start for Japan?
I am a novice player in PBEM, do you think this scenario is too difficult for a first time player?

Attachments
Sinktest.jpg
Sinktest.jpg (114.61 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Big B

Post by Big B »

Historical 1942 sinkings by USN Fleetboats as counted by JANAC Summary = https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/ ... ses-6.html

Sorry but the summary is not easily viewible, but the real record is:

SO - if you want real historical effect - leave USN Sub torpedoes Dud rate OFF in game terms
Hotei

Post by Hotei »

Historical 1942 sinkings by USN Fleetboats as counted by JANAC Summary = https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/ ... ses-6.html

SO - if you want real historical effect - leave USN Sub torpedoes Dud rate OFF in game terms

Good to know, I did not understand that the setting had to be off.
Big B

Post by Big B »

Well, I only tell anyone what I have researched and found.
Most Japanese Players want an expanded Japanese Start...cool enough... but no where near real...... makes me wonder what the heck some folks want in an historical game.

But I digress - please play and have fun.

B

Good to know, I did not understand that the setting had to be off.
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

I would like to see a what if mod from you.

Thanks DOCUP... now that I feel I have a realistic baseline - I'll work on that. ;)
Hotei

Post by Hotei »

Well, I only tell anyone what I have researched and found.
Most Japanese Players want an expanded Japanese Start...cool enough... but no where near real...... makes me wonder what the heck some folks want in an historical game.

But I digress - please play and have fun.

B

Can you confirm what preferences and game settings should be used with your mod? [:)]

Big B

Post by Big B »

Any settings you like really....

Can you confirm what preferences and game settings should be used with your mod? [:)]

Hotei

Post by Hotei »

Any settings you like really....

I like these.

Fog of War: On
Adv. Weather Effects: On
Allied Damage Control: On
Player Def. Upgrades: On
Historical First Turn: Off
Dec. 7th Surprise: On
Reliable USN Torpedoes: Off
Realistic R&D: On
No Unit Withdrawals: Off
Reinforcement: +/-15
Auto Sub OPS: Off
Set All Factories to Expand at Start: Off
Auto upgrade Ships and Air Groups: Off
Accept Air & Ground Replacements: Off
Turn Cycle: 1
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

I believe I have gotten it where I always wanted it.

You never cease to amaze!!![&o][&o][&o]

Thanks again, Brian!!

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”