New Scenario for Testing: Northern Phantoms - 2021 (V2 Update)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Dysta

New Scenario for Testing: Northern Phantoms - 2021 (V2 Update)

Post by Dysta »

EDIT @ 12 Feb 2017 -- UPDATED TO WIP V2

This is my first scenario that barely works, after working on it for a whole day non-stop.

A very adventurous scenario involved with border-intrusion, sneaking, and potential large scale air-to-air conflict. You can only play with 4 J-20 stealth fighters, without any support or backup. This scenario also feature the killer missiles that Herbert Carlisle second-guessed the Chinese aerial defense capabilities, and will be potentially used if a dangerous twist comes first.

The difficulty is high, require a very good timing and some flight plans to reach US bombers. It's not at war, so the dense air traffic is a part of the game.
Background:

US Air Force and Navy are assembling at Far-East region in recent years, to encounter several H-bomb detonation tests from North Korea. The US President signed the order to deploy additional bombers and warships to Japan, breaking the record since the Cold War, which is infuriated China and must seek for a harsh response before the US had gone too far.

And by aggravating Russia with islands disputes, US also agreed Japan to cruise a squadron of bombers alongside Sakhalin Oblast to reinforce the claim of those islands, which caused Russia strengthen the SAM defense with S-400 and additional fighters for encountering them.

This left PLAAF very little options to rebuff the US military deployments. Until a suggestion raised by the daredevil intelligence from Northern Strategic Region. PLAAF could commence an infiltration across Russian air space with cutting-edge stealth fighters from Harbin, and the new PL-15 AAM that spread fears in USAF commands. If those fighters could scramble US bombers without alerting Russia, the PR stunt will drastically favor to the Chinese military, and US will be the only one to blame.

However, Russia and China aren’t an official alliance, so the military access or support are out of question. If those stealth fighters are caught before answering the US, the repercussion will be disastrous. Hence, nobody can ensure this will be a ‘peaceful’ intercepting mission, so these jets are armed for an obvious reason.

Comment below for any bug, idea and question. Some content maybe placeholders and will take further changes.

Updated detail at new comments.
Attachments
Northern_P..)_WIP_v2.zip
(133.73 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Hongjian

RE: New Scenario for Testing: Northern Phantoms - 2021

Post by Hongjian »

Very nice scenario indeed. Felt like playing MSG at times.

One bug might be that my J-20s are being launched with 4x droptanks, kinda weakening their stealth somewhat (despite the briefing stating that I have to take off without tanks). I was detected at 30nmi by a flight of Su-30SMs just off the coast of Sakhalin. In my editor-tests, the clean J-20 is well hidden for the Bars-R at that distance (IRST only picks it up at roughly 17nmi as well). So, the removal of the drop-tanks should solve this issue. But yet again, this would make the scenario even harder due to much limited fuel-range. Maybe the inlcusion of a IL-78 just off the Russian border can adress it, but this would kinda ruin the stealthy gameplay and the fluff of the scenario.

On the other hand, it seems to be definitely doable with those 4x droptanks attached, since getting detected at 30nmi by the Flankers is still quite close and I just have to plot my courses, use the altitude and speed settings more intelligently.

Off for a second try!
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

12 Feb 2017 -- UPDATED TO WIP V2

Changes:
-DB3000 to Build 460 (require update SR7 RC or higher)
-Removed drop tanks from all J-20s
-Set up an additional PLAAF airbase much closer to Russian border
-Set all Russian interceptors' proficiency to Ace
-Adjusted Zulu, Mission Times & Scenario duration
-Deleted some regional jets at Civilian side
-Moved RuAF scramble zone closer to islands
-Fixed some typos

Issues:
-Long range AAMs' altitude descend very slowly at mid-course flight, causing to reach way above targets and eventually missed

Download attachment at first page.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Nice, the fuel range now actually works kinda well.

To be honest, I think the DB entry for the J-20's unrefueled internal fuel range are still pretty premiliary. I will search for more and better data to back it up, but a leaked paper detailing the requirements for China's stealth fighters have shown that "China's new 4th generation fighters" must have the ability to "have a large enough combat radius to reach the capitals and important strategic targets of all China's neighbors without mid-air refueling" (In chinese nomenclature, "4th-generation" means 5th generation, because China has skipped the Me-262, which is classified in the West as 1st gen, and went directly to the 2nd gen MiG-15 as its "1st generation" of jet planes). Using the graphic in the paper and especially the combat radius covering Japan, we can measure that the distance is actually like 750-800 nmi from an airbase closest to the Sea of Japan. To the Japanese Capital of Tokyo, it is already about 630 nmi.

If the J-20 really had that much internal fuel capacity, then the mission you have detailed would actually be possible in the real world, without the deployment from a civilian airport so close to the Russian border.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

The best I can cope with is using script to add remaining fuel when J-20 reached the zone, but I don't know if there is a script to "add more" rather than "add to". I only found the Add To option, but that will not simulate the fuel range because the new amount is fixed to set quantity, which is not realistic during the transit.

If I can do the Add More option, I will consider to make this scenario more challenging.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”