Graphical update in the works?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mussey

RE: Graphical update in the works?

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Anyone have any further info on this?
"Friendly AI"?
I don't need a Friendly opponent. I want a ruthless, devious, no-good, rotten scoundrel who would stop at nothing to stick a blade in my backside.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

I think the ai is already too friendly[:D] never attacks if you're Japan, and never protects its carriers if you're the allies. We need a mean ai[:@]
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
scout1

Post by scout1 »

SPAM .....[:'(]
mussey

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

I think the ai is already too friendly[:D] never attacks if you're Japan, and never protects its carriers if you're the allies. We need a mean ai[:@]
Mean and dirty. Tricky too would help.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: mussey

Mean and dirty. Tricky too would help.

Want a dirty rotten scoundrel to play, play a human.[:D]

Edit: Or a gorn.[:'(]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
nico71

Post by nico71 »

A "remastered" edition with a new front end is definitely in order (DOS is dead!). No need to redo the whole game from scratch. Replace the large bitmaps with vector gfx, so it's zoomable and smooth with no pixelation. And needs much less memory.
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

I doubt that AE would be for Ipad, too much planning and turn time for a platform that is mostly a "play and go" system. My bet is a regular official update, maybe some minor changes to the UI, although I think that would be quite disappointing because personally I think the UI is great.

Or they just dumb everything down to point and click. Call it AE for IPAD and hope to make some extra bucks on the reputation?
This gave me a good laugh. Best post on this forum for a while!
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

I am with LoBaron on this one: The UI is the most outdated part in the game and desperatly in need of an upgrade.

None of the semi-modern features like multi window handling, resizable, customizable or dragable windows, any scaling feature (resolution, font size, zooming,..) are implemented and most of these had their breakthrough with Windows 95. Sensible support of drag and drop would simplify a lot and good customizable selection filters in many of the tables would be incredible.

The fragmentation of information and the heavy tie in of the UI with the "functional code" are perhaps the whorst from a programming viewpoint (which makes what michaelm achieved all the more sensational). I believe that many compatibility issues we have seen as well as the extrem CPU load (WITPAE uses one core totally under all circumstances which burns uneeded amounts of power and can cause thermal headaches in laptops) are most likely also caused by the UI.

Having said all that, I would be very supprised if Matrix really did anything major on the UI. (Uninformed guessing:) A true overhaul would require untangling of the UI and the rest engine, which is way too much work for a programm which has already seen some years and has sell figures not exactly measured in millions.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Rafid
I believe that many compatibility issues we have seen as well as the extrem CPU load (WITPAE uses one core totally under all circumstances which burns uneeded amounts of power and can cause thermal headaches in laptops) are most likely also caused by the UI.

I just posted a solution to the thermal headaches in the tech section of the forums. Try it out, it works pretty well.
tm.asp?m=4127476&mpage=1&key=&#4127476
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Hey all I'm saying is if you had to criticize something in this game "bad UI" would not be the first thing that I would think of.
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

The UI could certainly be updated to be more compatible with modern hardware/software, particular resolutions, etc, but really the only part that I can think needs a serious overhaul is the industry screen, maybe the ship identification screen too.

Some other things I would like to see:

1. A in-game tab for each ship with historical past actions (bombardments, surface action, air attacks) - This would be particularly useful for figuring out how effective subs are in their established patrol areas.
2. In-game projections for resources, fuel stocks, engines production into the future, etc.
3. A larger strategic map to make use of larger resolutions today, very hard to see at the moment.
4. An updated map (though secondary given the great user-made maps we have)
5. Maybe some sort of integration of convoy routes into the strategic map?

I could probably think of more off the top of my head. These are just random thoughts.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
RJL5188

Post by RJL5188 »

make it simple...how about a war in the pacific 2?
"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

The UI could certainly be updated to be more compatible with modern hardware/software, particular resolutions, etc, but really the only part that I can think needs a serious overhaul is the industry screen, maybe the ship identification screen too.

Some other things I would like to see:

1. A in-game tab for each ship with historical past actions (bombardments, surface action, air attacks) - This would be particularly useful for figuring out how effective subs are in their established patrol areas.
2. In-game projections for resources, fuel stocks, engines production into the future, etc.
3. A larger strategic map to make use of larger resolutions today, very hard to see at the moment.
4. An updated map (though secondary given the great user-made maps we have)
5. Maybe some sort of integration of convoy routes into the strategic map?

I could probably think of more off the top of my head. These are just random thoughts.
I'd settle for a simple blinking of the white line surrounding the current selected hex. The screen view moves on its own and sometimes in places like China where there is a lot of light coloured background I have trouble re-acquiring the location I was just working on. I suppose the same could be done for the icon of any selected unit.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

There is a good icon and button mod to see TF's more clearly as well as dot bases here - http://www.designmodproject.de/en/
There are lots of graphic changes in this and it used to be in 5 parts but now amalgamated in to one download. I find the TF icons much better
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

ORIGINAL: moonraker

There is a good icon and button mod to see TF's more clearly as well as dot bases here - http://www.designmodproject.de/en/
There are lots of graphic changes in this and it used to be in 5 parts but now amalgamated in to one download. I find the TF icons much better
Do you know where I can find a couple of screenshots of this mod? Sounds interesting.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

I wonder what will happen when our expectations meet the reality
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Task Force icons. Much bigger than stock and they are sort of colour coded to tell you what they are. The green ones are Amphibious and the brown ones are RES supply
Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (281.15 KiB) Viewed 98 times
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Base icons. Notice how the dot bases are nice and large so you can see them them much more clearly. One thing to note however is that because this comes from a German website if you use any of the screens for aerial, naval or ground combat they have the words changed to German. It's a bit fiddly but as it's all art then you can choose which files you do or don't want and swap accordingly. (Probably best to save the originals in case you don't like it). For me though this mod combined with Chem Kid's map gives the game a nice look.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg (281.01 KiB) Viewed 93 times
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

LCU device hard and soft firepower and antitank values accessible in game without having to search a database.
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Task Force icons. Much bigger than stock and they are sort of colour coded to tell you what they are. The green ones are Amphibious and the brown ones are RES supply
That would affect the FOW factor if the enemy can see the same coding of colours.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”