Command LIVE – Episode 1 is out!

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mikmykWS

RE: Command LIVE – Episode 1 is out!

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

On the flow of content there is only one way to look at it - economics. If we don't sell new content we would need some other way to continue generating revenue such as a subscription service. Without that there is nobody to create the content. None of it is required and all features come in the game for free, but that development too is only possible if there is an on going revenue stream. The only way we could stop selling content is to stop all development and work on a new game and then sell you that. In reality what you have in Command since release should mean it is Command 2 and you buy it again. We could go down the route of one new release a year which is then not supported as most major publisher do. I don't think you'd like that idea though :)

Just to follow on Ian's point. Live is a great opportunity for content designers and the community too. We are putting the spotlight on their fine work and giving them more of a return than they are used to. They get a glimpse of our world as well[:D]

Bigger picture though its a great way to also drive smart conversations and thought about what's going on in the world. You people have a lot of smart things to say and this work is another way of expressing it.

Mike
BradOrbital

Post by BradOrbital »

Hi Mike, will there be any post that goes further into detail in how Command LIVE works if a community member wants to release a Command LIVE title with you? Would be great to have some more information, then people could consider if they would like to release a scenario traditionally (free) or go the Command LIVE route and get rewarded for some extra time spent on the design. I'm guessing it's a share in royalties for the specific scenario.

Great to see it, interested to see how it does.
B
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Pergite - do you have a high-res version of that spreadsheet?

I'd like to see how organised people plan their ops!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: bradinggs

Hi Mike, will there be any post that goes further into detail in how Command LIVE works if a community member wants to release a Command LIVE title with you? Would be great to have some more information, then people could consider if they would like to release a scenario traditionally (free) or go the Command LIVE route and get rewarded for some extra time spent on the design. I'm guessing it's a share in royalties for the specific scenario.

Great to see it, interested to see how it does.
B

No formal process has been established. I'd just pm us to show you're interested. We'll probably want to see some proof that you're able to complete a scenario project. If we see this along with some competence at using the editor, congeniality with us and some great theme ideas we may move forward together. Money talk etc. occurs privately after all the vetting on both sides occurs.

Thanks!

Mike
BradOrbital

Post by BradOrbital »

Thanks Mike. Sounds great, still learning this side but certainly will look forward to doing one in the future with you guys. I like that you involving the community and giving them an opportunity, currently not many developers doing that. Great to see these developments.
B
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

One other thing to add - on LIVE scenarios a lot of time and effort goes in to picking subjects with the marketing team that we think will generate interest in the wider press, so coming with a completed scenario might be something we are interested in, but more likely not. On Live scenarios we like to work from inception all the way through to release. We have a lot of potential scenarios but only a small percentage make the cut! So the most likely route is create some free scenarios, show what you can do and if we think it hits the commercial quality threshold or could with help, we work on a LIVE scenario together further down the line.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
BradOrbital

Post by BradOrbital »

Thanks for the extra clarification Iain, great stuff.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

On the flow of content there is only one way to look at it - economics. If we don't sell new content we would need some other way to continue generating revenue such as a subscription service. Without that there is nobody to create the content. None of it is required and all features come in the game for free, but that development too is only possible if there is an on going revenue stream. The only way we could stop selling content is to stop all development and work on a new game and then sell you that. In reality what you have in Command since release should mean it is Command 2 and you buy it again. We could go down the route of one new release a year which is then not supported as most major publisher do. I don't think you'd like that idea though :)

Just to follow on Ian's point. Live is a great opportunity for content designers and the community too. We are putting the spotlight on their fine work and giving them more of a return than they are used to. They get a glimpse of our world as well[:D]

Bigger picture though its a great way to also drive smart conversations and thought about what's going on in the world. You people have a lot of smart things to say and this work is another way of expressing it.

Mike

That really is cool and great to hear! I by no means have nearly enough skill with the editor to make anything worthy of becoming a Live scenario, but I think it is awesome that you guys are really working with community scenario builders on this. In the end I think it will benefit everyone concerned. I look forward to the next Live scenarios with great anticipation!
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

ORIGINAL: ColonelMolerat

Pergite - do you have a high-res version of that spreadsheet?

I'd like to see how organised people plan their ops!

It proved to not be organized enough. I forgot to read the fine print on the surge setting for some aircraft. The Su-30SM for example is limited to a total 4 hrs flight time decided into 2 sorties per 24hrs. When the first sortie ended, there where not much flight time left. A tip is to keep the fighters as QRA and scramble as necessary.

I am just four hours into the scenario and I must say that the scenario is really good so far. The behaviour of all sides feels spot on. The own unit count is perfectly manageable, and it is instead the flow and dynamics of the operation and the battle-space that requires your attention.

I have lost a SU-24 due to error on my part, I mistook the weapon load-out in the mission planner which resulted in a dangerous attack profile.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

[&:]

Do you mean all updated features?
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

"The international community intervenes to put a halt to the hostilities immediately. Backed up by American and European pressure, both the Russian and Turkish Governments accept an immediate cease fire. The situation remains tense but the shooting has stopped – at least for now."
Hey! I am the international community, and I was actually doing quite a good job putting a halt to the hostilities on my own thank you!
I had 17hrs left to go, and a ton of LGB:s ready for a dawn ride...

Great scenario!

Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Hello, quick question...if you buy the dlc from matrix store, do you still get a steam key as well for the dlc? Or just a key for non steam version?
FoxZz

Post by FoxZz »

I've noticed some "bugs" when it comes to sides switching hostile.

First, at somepoint the coalition is attacking ISIS targets, but the bomb they drop are considered hostile by Russian airforce and make the entire coalition side switching red and then Russians planes and aa start shooting resulting in a war between coalition and Russia. This should not be possible since those bombs are attacking ISIS assets and not Russian assets.

Secondly, at some point some of my SU-30s went in the are of the French CVBG without knowing it,and then without any warning my plane shave been shot down by Aster 30 missiles. Shouldn't the Su-30 be intercepted by the carrier CAP and radioed before being shot from the sky ?

Also it could be nice to receive a message when a side switch from neutral to hostile with some explications.

On the mission itself, why not giving to each side a more complete OOB ?

USA : A CVBG in the red sea and some additional planes in al-dhafra with some F-22.
Coalition : Al-dhafra airbase (Rafale and refuellers), The Jordanian airbase (Mirage 2000Ds) a FREMM frigate and a Rubis class submarine going with the French CVBG
Russia : control over the Caucase airbase and the black sea fleet and more planes. I think there is also a S-300 system in Syria in addition to the S-400.

Otherwise, it's quiet a good campaign, I like it a lot, it's very in depth, I love how it depicts the messy situation with tons of contacts both civilians and military all with different goals.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

FoxZz

I believe that the coalition going hostile too early is addressed in the next release - not sure when it will come out.

There is an intercept mission on the CV so not sure about the shoot-down, unless all the interceptors had already been launched. Sniffing around the CV is not healthy.

I considered messages about going hostile but the number of variables and circumstance made it quite problematic. Pinning down why a side goes hostile is complex and I figured that working the events to that level left a risk of getting the wrong message for the event and decided not to do it, a wrong message is worse than no message.

Limited the scope and OOB to try and keep the complexity manageable. Al-dhafra and the Persian Gulf (where the CSG is at the time) is a long way away and there is the missions in Iraq, Yemen, Gulf of Aden and coast of Somalia to worry about. So they're busy. WRT the Russian forces, no tactical commander would ever have control over more than one AO and those forces (the once you could use) are strategic, so you would not get them for a tactical mission, especially when you start out in a routine peace time situation. If you have evidence of S-300's I'll consider it but I couldn't find any, and the S-400 does just fine, causes major problems for the Turks and almost unbalances the game on its own.

Glad your enjoying it.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
serjames

Post by serjames »

Is there a dedicated feedback/question thread about the scernario - I've looked but no Cookie.

I too am having French Forces Going Hostile for seemingly no reason and Launching AA at my AEW aircraft. No obvious cause of the Change ?

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”