DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sargatanus

DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races

Post by Sargatanus »

I'm trying to design a scenario in the game editor with a race that has access to every tech in the game, including the race-specific ones (I won't bore you with the reasons, let's just saw I'm experimenting with a concept).

I've got the modding guide, but it doesn't really seem to address this and I can't quite figure out the values I'm looking for in the research.txt file itself.

Anyone got some advice here?

Note: I found a workaround floating on Reddit, but it would effectively open up everything to everyone and that isn't exactly what I'm shooting for.
Retreat1970

RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races

Post by Retreat1970 »

If I understand you correctly... Start a game, pause, open editor, click edit empires, then edit your super race with all techs. You can select tech 7, or select techs individually (even race specific). Save game. Play.
Sargatanus

Post by Sargatanus »

No, that's not it at all. So there are some techs that can only be researched by certain races. I want a race that is able to research them all. In the research.txt there's supposedly a line for "allowed races", but I can't seem to locate the right line/variable.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Sorry for misunderstanding. It's in the race folder files, and it's called special component.
Sargatanus

Post by Sargatanus »

The workaround I saw was to simply set it to -1 for all races, but then that would just open up everything for everyone. Can I simply add all the values for each restricted tech there without crashing?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Sargatanus

No, that's not it at all. So there are some techs that can only be researched by certain races. I want a race that is able to research them all. In the research.txt there's supposedly a line for "allowed races", but I can't seem to locate the right line/variable.

If I recall correctly this feature in the research.txt file was added after DW:U release and is not documented in the modding guide.

You need to add a line like this to the relevant research project:

ALLOWED RACES ;race 1, race 2, race 3
... etc.

So the total project might look something like this:

PROJECT ;34, Enhanced Torpedoes, 2, 20, 0, 25, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;5, 2, 17, 460, 30, 72, 3, 2900, 0,
PARENTS ;33, N
ALLOWED RACES ;Ackdarian, Atuuk, Banoserit, Caleph, Dhayut, Enton

Note this line has the effect that only the 'allowed races' can research the tech. Not sure whether that's exactly what you wanted.

Osito
Osito

Return to “Design and Modding”