Stellaris a new grand strategy game from Paradox

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Torgrim

Stellaris a new grand strategy game from Paradox

Post by Torgrim »

Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

Featuring deep strategic gameplay, an enormous selection of alien races and emergent storytelling, Stellaris has a deeply challenging system that rewards interstellar exploration as you traverse, discover, interact and learn more about the multitude of species you will encounter during your travels.

Etch your name across the cosmos by uncovering remote celestial outposts,and entire civilizations. Will you expand through war or walk the path of diplomacy to achieve your goals?

Main Features

Discovery Events – Emergent Storytelling.
Deep & Varied Exploration.
Enormous procedural star systems, containing thousands of planets.
Numerous playable species, each with their own traits and engineering styles.
Vast number of Unique Random Species.
Advanced Diplomacy system.
Ship Designer (even civilian ships can be customized).
Stunning space visuals.

Looks really sweet and It does have similarites with DW but taking it a notch higher.

http://www.stellarisgame.com/
Rising-Sun

RE: Stellaris a new grand strategy game from Paradox

Post by Rising-Sun »

Look interesting, but I will need more information, videos and screenshots of this software. Just because it is pretty doesn't mean we will like it. Let wait and see what happen down the roads.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Looks sensible enough but let's wait and see if it delivers. Plenty of games have made big promises and failed to deliver.

And to be honest, this screenshot indicates to me that the scale of abstraction in the game is going to be fairly high. Certainly doesn't look like a game with thousands of systems, at least.

Really, it looks like a cross between DW and SOTS, it looks like a single galaxy abstracted into a few hundred systems with individual details available on zoom, and it definitely looks like something I won't be playing unless I buy a new computer.
Torgrim

Post by Torgrim »

Think of Stellaris as a cross between Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings atleast it what the devs are saying and the devs are Paradox and the guys behind the game are those who made Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.
The galaxy can have a up to 1000 star systems and up to 10 planets per system.
There is no set standard races, every game creates new races with their own traits and goals.
It's a dynamic galaxy where anything can happend.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Yeah, it's going to be a lot like Paradox's other games, if you want to get an idea. Frankly, I couldn't be happier. I've wanted them to do a game like this for years, and their plans are even more ambitious than I'd hoped.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Yeah, I know who Paradox are, but even sensible teams can fail.

As for EU4 and CK2, I've never played the former and failed to get into the latter because DW was satisfying my strat game requirements. If the lack of support and bugfixes, the rather unalien-like aliens, and the unfixable junk UI of DW start getting to me before DW2 is released then they're on my list of games to have a serious go at.

Will the EU / CK formula work in space? Will it correctly convey a feeling of the vastness of space and at the same time manage to feel like a game rather than a management exam even late in the game? Will the level of abstraction be scaled properly to empires consisting of billions or possibly trillions of citizens or will it be centered around single characters that somehow manage to do everything everywhere? Will it feel like a game where the devs actually cared for the details or will it feel like a lot of stuff is just random cartoon sci-fi?

I doubt Paradox will manage to release a completely broken heap of junk and it will probably be reasonably fun to play regardless of how those questions are answered, but I'll remain ambivalent until I see how the end product pans out.
Torgrim

Post by Torgrim »

ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

It is going to have the internal and external political depth I have been asking DW to have since the first expansion but we got pirates,fighters,etc and other stuff that didn't really improve the game a great deal.Stellaris devs look like they have played both DW and SOTS for inspiration imo from reading the RPS preview.

DW has the non abstracted economy that Stellaris will not have.DW2 just got some pretty tough competition.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

DW2, if/when it materializes, will be an auto-buy for me. Stellaris is also an auto-buy for me. They're not competing as far as I'm concerned, they're the next big things from my two favourite developers, and no way in hell I'm going to miss out on either. In fact, I hope they steal the best ideas from each other! [:)]

And keep in mind that Paradox has a ton more manpower and many years of experience in implementing something as subtle as internal politics. It would be a pretty daunting thing for DW to include, given the 1-person dev team. I know from a customers' point of view they're both about the same price to buy, but it's the reality of the two different companies.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

"emergent storytelling" - what the frag does that mean? If it's marketing-speak for procedurally generated story lines, then count me out.
"Numerous playable species, each with their own traits and engineering styles" - so each race has it's own skin for ships. Woo. Haven't seen that before. I'm a bit dubious with the use of "numerous". Surely they've decided on how many races - or are they just going to pick the races out of a hat at beta time? Shouldn't this be written in stone in the GDD by the time the game is announced?
"Vast number of Unique Random Species" - read: play balance by RNG

Sounds interesting, but to be honest, I always found EU series to be a nightmare of micromanagement. Incredibly detailed, but tedious and a steep learning curve.

I'll wait and see what the reviews say. Lots of promises, but we've seen that before.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Paradox games are certainly not for everyone, I won't claim they're the be-all and end-all. For me, they really click, but for others they certainly don't.

The lead designer is the same as for CK2, so the "emergent storytelling" is presumably along the same lines as in CK2. There are no official storylines, it's just that the game mechanics have been crafted to allow for a lot of interesting situations to arise and for the game to treat them realistically.

So you can have an older brother who was passed over for inheritance in favour of you, who then plots to overthrow you. You arrest him and exile him from your kingdom, so he ends up in the court of a foreign lord, scheming against you from afar. Things like that fall out of the mechanics of the game, not because they're scripted.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

It certainly looks nice. Still I am rather partial to DW myself. Nice thing is...I have plenty of free space on my HD, so I can easily play both. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

"emergent storytelling" is presumably along the same lines as in CK2. There are no official storylines, it's just that the game mechanics have been crafted to allow for a lot of interesting situations to arise and for the game to treat them realistically.

So you can have an older brother who was passed over for inheritance in favour of you, who then plots to overthrow you. You arrest him and exile him from your kingdom, so he ends up in the court of a foreign lord, scheming against you from afar. Things like that fall out of the mechanics of the game, not because they're scripted.

Sounds exactly like what Total War: Attila has in it; scripted events which you decide how to react to. It hardly seems something worthy of a "main feature" tag.

I'll wait and see. Paradox has never made a game of this sort. Their lack of a track record in this genre is reason for caution over enthusiasm.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

No, that's the point, they're not scripted events, those are all core game mechanics, and the whole point of the game design itself. There are plenty of small scripted events in the game too that you react to, but I made a point of describing things that were actual core game mechanics.

I'm not trying to convince people they should like CK2 or Paradox games in general, but the emergent storytelling of CK2 is truly remarkable, and i never would've suspected someone could pull it off. And yes, Stellaris is uncharted territory for Paradox, but at the very least I'm impressed with their ambition.
echo2361

Post by echo2361 »

I'm pretty excited to see what Paradox can offer the space 4x genre. After the debacle with SOTS2, I'm surprised they are setting out to make a similar game themselves. While DW remains the king of real time space 4x games for me, I'll certainly be keeping my eye on Stellaris. That is, of course, until DW2 comes out [;)]
jadelith

Post by jadelith »

this is great news. pdox is known to create awesome games - and simply cancel them during development if they don't think they're good. that shouldn't happen anymore though, as they now announce games further into the development cycle.

as usual, never preorder anything goes for this game as well. but I have high hopes.

what's funny was, a few months back, someone asked Johan (lead dev of the studio) to make a game similar to distant worlds (specifically named DW), to which he replied "hm, now that might be interesting..". apparently they were already working on that very game :)
Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

funny how they said "thousand of planets", so basically 100-200 star systems with a bunch of planets in it. the feature list looks decent but doesn't blow me out of the water. one thing i am looking out for seeing how it goes is M.O.R.E. though :).
Torgrim

Post by Torgrim »

ORIGINAL: Seraph86

funny how they said "thousand of planets", so basically 100-200 star systems with a bunch of planets in it. the feature list looks decent but doesn't blow me out of the water. one thing i am looking out for seeing how it goes is M.O.R.E. though :).

You might want to read the thread before posting.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

This game looks quite interesting...time will tell. I wish-listed it and I'm following it on Steam! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Torgrim

The galaxy can have a up to 1000 star systems and up to 10 planets per system.

Source for this?

All I see is "thousands of planets" - where do they specifically state "up to 1000 star systems"?

Return to “General Discussion”