Tracking down legendary pirates

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Lyoncet

Tracking down legendary pirates

Post by Lyoncet »

I'm currently running a game on a small (400 systems I think) galaxy with Legends events enabled. I just had two legendary pirate factions spawn at once, and while it seems like I've moved in enough warships to keep them away from my territory, I'm at a loss for tracking them down. I've explored the whole galaxy since it's pretty small, so it seems automating my scouts doesn't do anything. Is there any way of tracking them down other than going system-by-system or sweeping the whole area with long-range scanners?
CyclopsSlayer

RE: Tracking down legendary pirates

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

They usually mention the name of the system they emerge in, but with no search feature the manual labor to locate it can be excessive.

-Send Spies to steal their Operations Maps.

-Build a set of scouts with Long Range Scanners that you move in an overlapping grid around any suspect areas. Then watch the courses of ships in flight for the various factions to track them back to cluster points. Where ship tracks cross there will likely be a base/supply point deserving of immediate attention. As few as 4 LRS Scouts in a 2x2, but preferably more like 16 in a 4x4.
Lyoncet

Post by Lyoncet »

Oh yeah, stealing the ops map is a really good idea. Thanks! :)
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

There's a flaw in the game that lets you locate legendary pirates just by clicking on systems and seeing if their port shows up in the box on the lower left. You can usually figure out their rough operational area by observing them, then its just a matter of guesswork.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

In addition, the base is on a fuel source. Either caslon or hydrogen. It narrows down the possibly systems if you got a rough bearing.

If the galaxy is somewhat well settled, there is a limited number of "free fuel locations" to choose between.

Also, if you see where they arrive from or leave to, it is either a new target or a base/refueling stop. Dead reckoning works.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”