Speaking As One Who Bought RUS On GamersGate

Revolution Under Siege is a simultaneous turn based historical wargame that puts you in charge of one of the factions that fought the Russian Civil War (1917-1923). From a ragtag group of volunteers create the powerful Red Army, using all the weaponry and equipment at your disposal: planes, tanks, armored trains, Cheka troops and the Konarmia (the famous Red Cavalry). Or, on the opposite side, gather all patriots and reform the elite divisions that shall save Holy Mother Russia. Can you succeed in crushing the Bolshevik hydra? Or will the people’s Revolution prevail?
loki100

RE: Speaking As One Who Bought RUS On GamersGate

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I for one, think Ageod will come through for you guys. I would definitely go to their website. I have always had great customer service from them and as well as Matrix, but being this is an Ageod title, I would definitely go directly to them.

They ought to have a full Gold release and a Gold upgrade and the Gold Upgrade should be priced at 4.99 and work for all full previous versions. That way, they would have to have the original version to even want the upgrade kit. That's how they did it for Rise of Prussia, I believe.

agree, think the RoP/Gold system was much neater and fairer all round. Fortunately Paradox never got their paws on the pricing decision of the original RuS so it was never sold at the silly (and game development destroying) prices they pushed Pride of Nations out for. So it took a long time (rightly) before RuS was available at significant discount.

Problem with the approach they are using is its clearly frustrating for some people and I can share that, as few people who bought from GG got it on the cheap. So at some stage, I'll pay again for a game that I have had a huge amount of excellent play out of (both SP and PBEM) and really enjoy revisiting the complexity and range of options. Wee bit frustrating but not exactly the end of the world.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Ageod do not have the serials. They were not stored unfortunately.

Rise of Prussia was much simpler because it was already on Steam. RUS is new to Steam and there is no way Steam were going to allow us to release a game that we are about to replace.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
tgb

Post by tgb »

Here's a simple solution. Both GG and Impulse (I believe) allow you to see a list of games you own. I will gladly send a link to my list, showing I own a legitimate copy of the game, to customer service or even directly to Ian, in exchange for a functioning discount code.

I think that's only fair, and if Matrix/Slitherine can't be bothered to do even that much, it shows how sorry they really are.
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

I have also Gamersgate version of the game. The game is great and I would like to get new features, but paying full price for them is too much. I have purchased huge amount of Matrix/Ageod -games and paid full prices for them. It does not feel fair that I should now buy essentially same game again for double price. I think that there are quite limited amount of customers like us and perhaps it would be possible arrange some kind of light purchase check process (=for example, screen shot of Revolution under siege serial from the Gamersgate account).
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

the only question i want to ask is for both of you above is, why did you buy from where you bought it from?

if the answer is price, it was cheaper etc, why would another retailer offer you a discount on a upgrade when you didn't first place a order with them?

end of tbh, unless there's a good reason to think or comment on why it's fair or not fair, as life never is.

my example is, buy a operating system from Microsoft and install it on a apple computer, then moan at Microsoft for a upgrade not working on your system and see how far you get...

and tbh sites rules have always been there since day one, no steam key for games bought elsewhere, but support is freely given same as patches, but whole new versions, come on guys, get real and listen / read what the boss has put / written and let it lie and buy from the right place next time for the correct price instead of saving a cent's which could and in this case lost you money, many others haven't and there not complaining, and tbh if you have bought it from elsewhere, moan at them on there forum and see how much response / support / replies/ time they give you....

i feel this will be closed in the end, as message doesn't seem to be getting through, which is a shame...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Guys its not quite that simple. We would need to add all the codes to our system. This would take a huge amount of work. They need to be added to the coupon system, the serial system then hooked up with a discount allocated in different systems on different servers. This takes around 30-60 minutes to do which is why we batch process them. We simply cannot do this as a manual process on a one by one basis as if more than a handful of people requested it our support system would crumble under the load.

If we had the full list of serials we could batch process them but there are more than 20 different retailers who we would have to collect them from including Gamers Gate, Impulse and many many more. It's very unlikely they'd supply them - why would they. We have no deal with them, Paradox supplied the serials and they wouldn't be allowed to share them with us if they wanted. We'd need to get Paradox to contact them all to release the serials. Why would they do that? It's not that we don't want to do it, just that its simply beyond our resources to do this.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
tgb

Post by tgb »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Guys its not quite that simple. We would need to add all the codes to our system. This would take a huge amount of work. They need to be added to the coupon system, the serial system then hooked up with a discount allocated in different systems on different servers. This takes around 30-60 minutes to do which is why we batch process them. We simply cannot do this as a manual process on a one by one basis as if more than a handful of people requested it our support system would crumble under the load.

If we had the full list of serials we could batch process them but there are more than 20 different retailers who we would have to collect them from including Gamers Gate, Impulse and many many more. It's very unlikely they'd supply them - why would they. We have no deal with them, Paradox supplied the serials and they wouldn't be allowed to share them with us if they wanted. We'd need to get Paradox to contact them all to release the serials. Why would they do that? It's not that we don't want to do it, just that its simply beyond our resources to do this.

No it's not. I send you a link to my GamerGate page showing I own a legitimate copy of the game. You come up with a discount code, similar to the one you send beta testers and email it to me. It doesn't have to be a big production.
ashandresash

Post by ashandresash »

I thought it was not published by Paradox originally (as RoP or PoN) and it was an independent project developed under license over the AGE engine.

Anyway this is enough for me:
It's not that we don't want to do it, just that its simply beyond our resources to do this.

In the end it's just a market decision. You don't consider profitable using your resources this way (which I respect and understand) and I consider I have better gaming options for 24,99 € (but not for 4.99) right now. It's not perhaps the best solution, but... it's a solution.
helm123456789

Post by helm123456789 »

ORIGINAL: tgb

No it's not. I send you a link to my GamerGate page showing I own a legitimate copy of the game. You come up with a discount code, similar to the one you send beta testers and email it to me. It doesn't have to be a big production.

tgb, I'm in same situation. Bought it from Gamersgate some time ago for the backup file. There's a few very nice looking titles (nappy, 30 years war) on the horizon from AGEOD and I'd go ahead and save the cash for one of them. If your like me you like the original and it stills plays fine. Plus this isn't worth the frustration as there will be something new that will take up that time before the end of the year.
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's all good. Steam will have it for $5 at some point anyway. I'll consider this a lesson learned about what Matrix & Slitherine think of their customers.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Please do not think I speak for Matrix in any way. This is me speaking. Only me.
I am sorry for your terrible loss and subsequently highly visible sense of grievance
Mr. Grouchypants. It is too bad I didn't know that Matrix was ever going to carry
RUS when I bought it for a discount on Gamersgate. I was only thinking of myself
and the fact that I wanted to play the game, not whether Matrix was ever going to
carry it and subsequently release an enhanced version which I could then get for
a discounted price. I guess if I had known that and just grabbed it for some other
reason I could blame myself but otherwise it is just the way the proverbial cookie
crumbles. As my drill sergeant told me forty years ago "Life ain't fair...
and if your Mother told you that it was the b*tch was lying."
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Rise of Prussia was much simpler because it was already on Steam. RUS is new to Steam and there is no way Steam were going to allow us to release a game that we are about to replace.

to be fair this isn't quite complete. You could buy RoP gold as an expansion pack regardless of where you'd bought the original - it certainly did not matter if you'd bought from GG or AGEOD.
ORIGINAL: zakblood

the only question i want to ask is for both of you above is, why did you buy from where you bought it from?

I bought it from gamersgate as (a) at that stage I bought all my digital downloads from them; (b) AGEOD were part of Paradox; and, (c) I was too lazy to register with AGEOD and buy direct from them --- at exactly the same price

is this a good enough answer for you? - ignorance of the differential impact on AGEOD's finances (which I now properly understand) and lazy convenience. Also to add to the theme of being lazy and ignorant, I was under the impression that GG was still owned by Paradox so that my money was going more to the developer than the distributor

Now I really don't care. I'd rather that Matrix adopted the same system as with RoP/RoP gold, they clearly will not. This is fine according to you and a minimal pain in my view (& a source of annoyance to others). At some stage I'll buy RuS gold, probably when I have slaked my current ACW fixation (ACW2 and BaB) and my old PBEM chums return to an interest in RuS.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well i stand again corrected, seems i'm wrong again, making a hobby of this atm :(

didn't want to fan the flames but seemed to have done it again without wanting to or meaning to, so i've leave this thread and keep my nose out.

sorry all if i offended anyone, i don't mean to, just seem to think i know it all but am smart enough to know i know nothing it seems...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
helm123456789

Post by helm123456789 »

ORIGINAL: tgb

It's all good. Steam will have it for $5 at some point anyway. I'll consider this a lesson learned about what Matrix & Slitherine think of their customers.

Most likely by the time it's made it to a steam sale you'll probably be playing something else and wont even think about it. That's the beauty of it unless your some crazed collector the next game is just around the corner.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

I bought the game from GG years ago for something similar to the current price of the current digital release. At the AGEOD site I found a few PBEM partners and got at least 18 months of good game play out of it.

I am very happy they updated it and reportedly tackled a couple of problem areas with the original. If I get similar game play out of this version, it will be pennies to the hour of entertainment.

Support goes both ways. I want improvements to this and other games in the future and the only way to insure that is to provide some incentive (usually cash) to keep talented people alive and programming in our field of interest.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Elwro

Post by Elwro »

I bought the game on GG full-price a few days after the release; I'm really interested in the period. I wasn't fully satisfied and I decided to put playing on hold until a proper patch would arrive. Now it does arrive and I'm supposed to buy the game again. I understand that's how business works (sometimes), but I just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction with the situation.
Symple

Post by Symple »

ORIGINAL: Elwro

I bought the game on GG full-price a few days after the release; I'm really interested in the period. I wasn't fully satisfied and I decided to put playing on hold until a proper patch would arrive. Now it does arrive and I'm supposed to buy the game again. I understand that's how business works (sometimes), but I just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction with the situation.

I am not a regular on this forum, part of why is there are so many whiners. Games are not free. Good games require investment of personnel and time. For goodness sake, buy on the game site which publishes the game, give them support. That you shop at 'Cheap games R Us' does not entitle you to special treatment. It is a great game which deserves support.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege Gold”