LOS and fatigue

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

pacwar

LOS and fatigue

Post by pacwar »

The game looks interesting but after watching the long video I came away with two questions. First, from the firing positions of some of the Prussian lines in support and the artillery it appeared that they were both able to shoot without a clear line of sight to the target. In a couple of cases it appeared that the artillery was firing over the heads of the line to their front, but they were not on a higher elevation. Units in this period, including artillery, needed a clear LOS to their targets...did I miss something?
Also, is fatigue accounted for and accumulated by units. If so, is it incurred when they march, change formation, fire, etc. Assuming they get fatigue I also assume by resting they regain fatigue.
con20or

RE: LOS and fatigue

Post by con20or »

It is difficult to tell from aerial camera views whether there is an elevation difference or not between the units. You need to get down to sprite level. It is also difficult to tell what unit they are targeting without checking the unit status box, they may have had a clear LOS around the unit to another enemy on the flank. We also have howitzers which fire shells high, although to be honest I am not sure exactly how those are modeled. Artillery and infantry LOS does get blocked by units passing in front of you so you have to be very careful, you can render an entire artillery line useless by planting a big infantry unit in front of it. The toolbar will tell you whether line of sight is blocked or whether that unit has enough elevation to shoot over a friendly unit on lower ground and still hit the enemy.

Fatigue is accumulated by marching, moving at the double, firing, meleeing. The rate of fatigue is influenced by a number of variables such as the stats of the units, i.e. high calisthenics means they are fitter than others. Terrain type increases fatigue too, stick to roads wherever possible. Fatigue can be recouped by standing stationary or even faster by ordering the troops to lay down. This has the added benefit of minimising damage from artillery fire.

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”