Schwerpunkt Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

AndyG1

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by AndyG1 »

ORIGINAL: map66

ORIGINAL: AndyG1

Can you post a link to the Forums for this game. I'm trying to find details for the patch (I purchased about 3 weeks ago) but can't find it on their main website (which looks like it's not been updated yet?).

Thanks

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/threads.asp?f=163

The patch is actually in the same drop box link Ron sent you when you originally purchased the game--- just click it again and you should find it.

And yeah, that main Schwerpunkt page badly needs upgrading... Like the game, it is rough.

marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: map66

Can you post a link to the Forums for this game. I'm trying to find details for the patch (I purchased about 3 weeks ago) but can't find it on their main website (which looks like it's not been updated yet?).

Thanks

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/threads.asp?f=163

The patch is actually in the same drop box link Ron sent you when you originally purchased the game--- just click it again and you should find it.

And yeah, that main Schwerpunkt page badly needs upgrading... Like the game, it is rough.

No problem. And in general, as least in my experience, to get the interface to work, turn off auto-scrolling (it just sucks, period) and instead use the control left click to center the map they added in the patch for short moves of the map. For longer moves, scroll the map up a level, click on a hex, and zoom back down. It erases 90% of the interface frustrations. Also, turn off the cursor assisted move option or whatever it is in the options--- the interface starts feeling a lot better after, even if eventually that option might be helpful.

All that said, above all, this is an elegant boardgame style game that more than anything else just plays out as (expletive) fun.

Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Also a couple of helpful AAR posts that might give you some flavor of the game....

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=589560
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=589589
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I have really liked the way that his screens looked. I have read an AAR of the Russian war side whatever it is called and it was very interesting. So, I am interested in this. I like the size of the maps and the amount of units and the information that can be displayed on the units. I have always held off because it used to be just buy it through regular mail delivery. I am seriously thinking of purchasing one of his titles at this point.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

May I ask for an honest opinion of the AI. I an not expecting it to be brilliant, but I felt the AI in his previous two titles very poor.
A Sharif
KrazyIrish89

Post by KrazyIrish89 »

I too would love an honest opinion of the AI. I'm not a master strategist by an means, but I am looking for a game that can put up a good fight. I asked this same question over on another forum and the only responses I got were from the designer himself (obviously not an objective source) and someone telling me that any artificial intelligence will be better on defense than offence. I did, however, like the fact that you can compare your performance with that of the historical record while fighting the computer.
kemmo

Post by kemmo »

To be fair to the designer(Ron Dockel),He has been honest about the AI in his other games,stating that it was limited in it's skill and best used for learning the game and that playing against another person was best,so I would expect his response to be honest about this game as well.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

And welcome to KrazyIrish89 who joined today.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

I am also interested in the quality of the AI!

World War II - Europe looks really interesting.
Especially now, since the latest Bary Brigsby games have not convinced me.
I want something really great again.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yup, this looks interesting, will be looking at the AARs and forum.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

I've only played scenarios with the AI on the defensive. And it's an AI, not good, but nothing terri-bad. I'll boot up a scenario over the weekend with the AI on the attack, which should be more of a test.

Probably a longer term issue is that because the game is divided into phases (WEGO air/naval, then IGO/UGO land), for PBEM it currently requires 4 e-mail exchanges per turn. There has been a good suggestion over on the Wargamer forums on how to cut that down to 2 exchanges per turn, and Ron is apparently looking into it, but in its present form the game is a bit unwieldy for PBEM.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks for the feedback. I do not mind using the AI only for defence. What I don't want is an AI that sits around doing next to nothing whilst I dance circles around it. The ARR suggest this is not the case, but I would like to see it confirmed before I spend my money.
A Sharif
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Hm...
Different types of moves in the game:

1. Move to Attack: Unit moves and attacks in the Combat Phase
2. Move No Attack: Unit moves twice this phase, but cannot attack in the Combat Phase
2. Move to Exploit: Unit moves three times, but cannot dig-in in this phase or attack in the Combat Phase.
3. One hex Move: Unit moves one hex with fewer terrain restrictions and cannot attack this phase.
4. Strategic Railroad (RR) Move: Unit moves on railroad hexes only. Number of RR moves is limited per player per turn.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: Templer

Hm...
Different types of moves in the game:

1. Move to Attack: Unit moves and attacks in the Combat Phase
2. Move No Attack: Unit moves twice this phase, but cannot attack in the Combat Phase
2. Move to Exploit: Unit moves three times, but cannot dig-in in this phase or attack in the Combat Phase.
3. One hex Move: Unit moves one hex with fewer terrain restrictions and cannot attack this phase.
4. Strategic Railroad (RR) Move: Unit moves on railroad hexes only. Number of RR moves is limited per player per turn.

Also, there is a post combat move available, as well as I believe some kinda of overrun move in some of the blitzkrieg-ish scenarios. Between all the options is does do a good job of modelling the operational flow of combat.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Published Schwerpunkt design philosophy.

•Create operational level wargames which are all at the corps/division/brigade Level.
• Use the computer to keep track of the mundane tasks and mechanics of play that are associated with wargames.
• Create a Computer Artificial Intelligence (AI) that is realistic, challenging and aggressive, but not predictable.
• Use graphics as a tool to enable the player to more easily understand the game, not for eye-candy. Use sparingly.
• Music and sound are okay for an arcade game, but are distracting for an operational level wargame.
• Create wargames with an order of battle that is as historically accurate as possible.
• Keep the computer system's configuration requirements minimal to allow wargamer's with older computers to play the games without upgrades.
• Keep the wargame play very similar to the old operational level wargames in the boardgame format to bring back old wargamers to the hobby.
• Attract new wargamers by appealing to people who enjoy history and love a game that is fun to play AND offers a challenge.
• Keep the cost low for wargamers that have families and other life commitments that are more important.
• Create wargames with scenarios in areas of World War II, the US Civil War and the Middle East that have not been previously been done.
• Simulate these battles, which are in some cases one-sided, using a victory point system that compares players capabilities to their historical counterparts.
• Automate the combat results table so that players can concentrate on strategy.
• Publish wargames with improvements based on customer and reviewer feedback.
• Offer optional rules that allow veteran wargamers to more closely simulate command and control of units.
• Create games that can be used as educational tools in universities/schools.

I'm still on the fence.
Could World War II Europe be an unnoticed gem?

So little information to find.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Right on, except for maybe #3 and #10. In fact, if I could confirm #3, I'd ignore #10 ($50) and buy it now [;)]

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I used paypal and bought World War II - Europe. I did it yesterday afternoon and the transaction is listed in my paypal account as completed. Still no email or game in my dropbox account??? Tomorrow I will send a message to find out what happened. If anyone has purchased this game online, could you tell me how the transaction went?
JRR
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

I used paypal and bought World War II - Europe. I did it yesterday afternoon and the transaction is listed in my paypal account as completed. Still no email or game in my dropbox account??? Tomorrow I will send a message to find out what happened. If anyone has purchased this game online, could you tell me how the transaction went?

They are on vacation until Monday afternoon and won't fill orders until then...link to info

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=589702
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

They are on vacation until Monday afternoon and won't fill orders until then...link to info

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=589702

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated! [8D]
JRR
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Got the game. Easy download and installed without problems, including several new scenarios/scenario updates. Starting the learning curve...copied the help files (really the manual) to a word program and put the saved file on my desktop.
JRR

Return to “General Discussion”