Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

mensrea

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Post by mensrea »

Thanks for the great work Japhet. If you are on steam you should freind me, perhaps we can play some multiplayer Dawn of War at some point. I picked up all 4 titles recently as it was on sale and I missed it.

Cap - I will take a look at that first bug. With the second, if the colony ship was built before the upgrade was researched then you will have to retrofit it. Barring that it's probably some other bug which cannot be affected on my end. Also, theres this: http://distant-worlds.wikispot.org/Keyboard_shortcuts . Agreed about the Emporer, I will change it to something more fitting.

Bloodly - Copy/paste, change the numbers, and add an image for those resources in the resource image folder. If you make your own image make sure the background is the same color as all the other ones, it's not quite black so you may have to use the color copy thing to get it right. Also, here's this from the upcoming release:

23, Consumer Goods, 23, 3.0, 2, 0, N, N, 0, 2200, 0, 0, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 0, 2, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 3, 0.25, 0.3, 0.6, 0, 4, 0.25, 0.2, 0.5, 0, 5, 0.25, 0.1, 0.5,

24, Industrial Goods, 24, 2.0, 2, 0, N, N, 0, 2200, 0, 0, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 0, 2, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 3, 0.25, 0.3, 0.6, 0, 4, 0.25, 0.2, 0.5, 0, 5, 0.25, 0.1, 0.5,

25, Medical Goods, 25, 5.0, 2, 0, N, N, 0, 2200, 0, 0, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 0, 2, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 3, 0.25, 0.3, 0.6, 0, 4, 0.25, 0.2, 0.5, 0, 5, 0.25, 0.1, 0.5,

26, Military Goods, 26, 4.0, 2, 0, N, N, 0, 2200, 0, 0, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 0, 2, 0.25, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 3, 0.25, 0.3, 0.6, 0, 4, 0.25, 0.2, 0.5, 0, 5, 0.25, 0.1, 0.5,

Admittedly, I was inspired by the Supreme Ruler series of games when making those. If you like really in-depth global strategy type games I suggest checking them out.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

The colony ships were built well after the research was completed. I'll restart the game and try testing it again.

However I pulled up that materials list, it's not listed on that wiki, the game manual, or is easily found on google. I should have taken a screenshot of it...

And I loved the old supreme ruler series, though I disliked how unstable the economy was for SR:Cold War. The modern age mod was the best though.

Here's the bug:

Japhet

Post by Japhet »

Thanks for the great work Japhet. If you are on steam you should freind me, perhaps we can play some multiplayer Dawn of War at some point. I picked up all 4 titles recently as it was on sale and I missed it.

Sure, I'd like to. Make sure to take look at the Ultimate Apocalypse mod and/or the Titanium Wars mod, they enhance the vanilla game greatly.

I just finished the Eldar. Take your pick, whatever craftworld you like the most. I think Iyanden turned out best. Now, all what's left is chaos...
Attachments
40ktroops.zip
(796.9 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Bloodly

Post by Bloodly »

Played around with the Dammed. They have potential, but it highlights something of an issue with the base game. Despite having Spy Camps everywhere, despite them having +50% better odds of getting new spies...they hardly ever got new spies. Which leads to inevitable question: "Sure 50%....50% of what, though?"
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

I confirmed the colony ship issue. They're also only taking 100m population when being constructed.
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

And finally, could I maybe ask for a 4th trait for the emperor? Any trait at all? That slot always ends up with Labor Oriented in my games, and that just seems like the wrong trait for him...

Is it actually possible to give a character a 4th trait by modding the text file? Everytime I try this, I get a huge error message.

Bloodly

Post by Bloodly »

Auretians. Very good research hampered by a double-whammy. Not only do they have -50% colony income(So they basically go bankrupt immediately and can never crawl out), but Technocratic, for some reason, penalises happiness empire-wide by -65%, in addition to the listed -10%. The modifier is 'Our poor choice of government is damaging our empire, slowing poulation growth, development, and research'. What's more funny/sad is I found 'Chaotic' but can't switch.

The sad thing is this game's gone really well. I was able to steal Warrior's Legacy and Stellar Economics, which really, really helped with income. Also got Exotic Engines(Ah, compressed fuel cells).
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Cap - The tech progression bug will be fixed for the upcoming update. I'm not sure what to do about the colony thing other than scale all the upgrades and initial colony module sizes down, as it sounds like I have hit yet another undocumented limit. Will you be getting supreme ruler: ultimate? I played the hell out of SR 2010 and 2020 but I didn't like the sphere system Cold War used it it sounded like it had a lot of bugs.

Bloodly - I know exactly what you mean about the 50% of what thing...stuff like that has been hampering me for a while now, especially when it comes to what triggers the Shakturi. I will be halving or even thirding all economic bonuses and penalties, the science races are getting hit too hard and the economic races are getting way too much of a bonus on top of their unique commerce modules. I may take a different approach with government restrictions as well. It would be nice if the population of a race didn't make the decision that they should be using a government that they don't even have access too, as that is what's causing the 65% thing.

Japhet - It may not be possible to do that, I will have to take another look.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Oh wow, I had no clue ultimate was out already. Yes, I probably will be getting it haha. I actually liked Cold War more than 2020 because the the military AI actually worked and didn't just stop functioning if you were in a quick succession of wars, but CW's economic engine was really bad. Factory productivity was low and took way too much population...I would often end up with negative unemployment resulting in an economic freeze.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Welp, this is weird. This happened:

About 30 wars started at once. I thought it was a bit odd so I screenshot it, then my game CTD'ed two minutes later. I have no clue what happened, it was running perfectly fine before this.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

I don't even understand how that could happen. It seems like some sort of bug for them all to suddenly declare war. The CTD was likely from all the subsequent ship/fleet movements.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Well, it wasn't all of them, they only declared war on half the other empires. A couple (including me) were still at peace, and there was enough time between this and the CTD to make me believe the crash wasn't resource driven. My computer is very robust, so unless the game engine itself couldn't handle it I don't think that's it.

Odd thought: does the AI build strong coalitions between empires? Like one massive coalition declaring war on the other? This wasn't a free for all, and I don't know what else could explain it...
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

Updated a few UI & ship sets and added UIs for Gretchins, Thyrrus and Q'Orl. Also, new troops for Interex, Kinebrach, Hrud, Slaught, Zoats, Space Marines, Rak'Gol and all kinds of chaos fractions. The troops come now in two variants: one with type icons like vanilla DW (only with 40K symbols) and one without any icons.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hgc2d ... K+pack.rar
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Cap - The AI, especially the economic races, do have a propensity for developing alliances. Sounds like they manage to create a situation akin to pre-WW 1 Europe.

All - I apologize for the lack of updates recently. I hurt my back badly about a month ago and then hurt it even worse last weekend and I have pretty much been going home and laying around with a heat pack on it. I don't think it's a slipped or ruptured disc or something but it's very uncomfortable to sit in computer chairs, especially because I'm already sitting in one all day while at work. I'm going to try to make the final release for 30k either this weekend or next. After that I will be doing the 41k version, which will mostly be the same thing with some different races and of course, the Tau.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Hope you feel better soon!
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

I'm sorry to hear that! I hpoe you get well soon!
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

I've been a total lurker in this thread, but I want to send you some get well wishes:)
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

World War one situation happened again in another game, but this time I didn't CTD until an hour later.

Seems even more declared war this time, but again it wasn't random, and they weren't at war with everyone.

Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Been 3 weeks...hope you're ok
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

I am feeling a little better, though I have had some ups and downs. I have not really been up to putting in the time I should as far as releasing this update goes. I could release what I have, but it wouldn't quite work due to some tech tree changes. I'm really not sure when everything will be ready at this point. I will try to get enough done to release something that addresses the immediate issues, but I will likely leave out a fair portion of AI work that was intended to be a part of the release.

Return to “Design and Modding”