PFE - Thoughts from Vets?

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
kool_kat

PFE - Thoughts from Vets?

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I stumbled across Piercing Fortress Europa (PFE) as I was browsing through the Matrix store front.

Looks like an interesting, elegant, and simple to learn simulation of the Italian Campaign - a part of WW2 history that I have "little" knowledge.

So... a few questions to PFE vets:

(1.) Pros - What are aspects of this game that you like?

(2.) Cons - What are aspects of this game that you do not like?

(3.) Is there an active and robust PBeM community for Piercing Fortress Europa?

(4.) High repeat play? Is there enough variety in the scenarios and campaign games to keep them interesting?

(5.) Emphasis on supply and logistics. Does it detract or overshadow combat play?

The graphics remind me of early hexagon board games that I grew up on during my teenager and early adult years. Don't ask, but let's just say that I am a "mature" gamer and leave it at that! [;)]

I'm interested in this game title, but want to learn more from players of this game system before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance for your replies! [:)]
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
conger

RE: PFE - Thoughts from Vets?

Post by conger »

(1.) The simplicity of the game, UI makes finding info fast and easy, it takes place in an overlooked theater of the war, unit count is relatively low, if you like Frank's other games you'll like this one too
(2.) Game's simplicity depending on how deep of a game you want, lack of other operations (say Southern France) might not be enough content for you, and the problems that you find in every other game- bugs, AI may not be enough of a challenge, etc.
(3.) I've not played PBEM yet, but there are players out there
(4.) There's Sicily and the Italian Campaign (with two main campaigns and three small scenarios) which isn't a lot of variety, but each side requires a different play style and gives you a different experience
(5.) Supply, experience, terrain, but especially supply play a huge part of PFE. A unit "black" on supply fights at 75% efficiency where as a unit on "green" fights at 200% (or 150%, I can't remember). PFE is more about planning when and where to attack as Allies and when and where to stand and fight as Axis

PS: there is a patch (1.04) in the pipes and it should fix several of the games current issues that have been brought up
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

C unit: [8D]

Many thanks for your reply! [:)]

Hope to get additional feedback on PBeM. I envision myself playing more against human opponents than the AI.

I referenced a thread for patch 1.03, but where can a player locate the previous patches - 1.01 and 1.02? [&:]
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
conger

Post by conger »

patch 1.01
http://matrixgames.com/news/1399/Pierci ... ts.Updated

patch 1.02
log on in the main page and go to my products or my games I believe you can find it somewhere, I did before but can't remember now

hope that helps
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

PBEM is smooth. Not easily cheated from what I can tell. Fast turn rate. And fairly well balanced. But be warned, early mistakes can have long lasting effects. If the list of issues raised get fixed in 1.04 this will be a very nice game and I will be looking for it to be ported to other fronts/periods.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

Thanks for your replies and comments.

I'm going to hold off purchase until the 1.04 patch is released... and than see where things stand with PFE.
Regards, - Mike

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”