GSP: Galactic Starmap Project

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ParagonExile

RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project

Post by ParagonExile »

Great job! Clearly this will end up good no matter what you choose to do, but I hope you give serious consideration to the "local space" idea.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Also, it's worth noting that star density in real life doesn't taper with galactic arms; those are "tidal waves" of gas :3
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

Also, it's worth noting that star density in real life doesn't taper with galactic arms; those are "tidal waves" of gas :3

Indeed, [yet] another compromise for gameplay reasons: I want it to have a generally recognisable structure. There are also practical issues in that unless you arrange the stars in narrow bands, you end up with a very spaced out structure, because 1400 stars don't go very far in a 15x15 grid.

Osito
Osito
Osito

Post by Osito »

It would appear that the star name generator has run out of star names. This is presumably because I have created and deleted so many systems while creating the customised systems.

When I now add stars using the generator, every name is now an obscure reference number or, occasionally, a name with 'prime', 'junction', 'major' or 'minor' after it. This means that the only way I can complete this map is by individually naming the stars and each planet for about 1000 systems!
Osito
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

ORIGINAL: Osito

It would appear that the star name generator has run out of star names. This is presumably because I have created and deleted so many systems while creating the customised systems.

When I now add stars using the generator, every name is now an obscure reference number or, occasionally, a name with 'prime', 'junction', 'major' or 'minor' after it. This means that the only way I can complete this map is by individually naming the stars and each planet for about 1000 systems!

[ ]Not rekt

[x]Rekt

[x]Tyrannosaurus Rekt

Seriously though, that sounds lame. Need a hand? I can pull a few thousand names out of my various orifices and give them to you, saving your creative juices for more important things.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Thanks for the offer of help. I have about 700 names from the star names file that comes with DW, and I will probably use many of those. It's not so much the names themselves, it's the changing the names of every star and (particularly) planet that you create. I really wish it would let you pick the star name before you create it, so the planets can take the name you have given to the star.

I tell you, if God had been given the DW planet editor to create the universe, there's no way He could have got the job done in 7 days!

Osito
Osito
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Thanks for the offer of help. I have about 700 names from the star names file that comes with DW, and I will probably use many of those. It's not so much the names themselves, it's the changing the names of every star and (particularly) planet that you create. I really wish it would let you pick the star name before you create it, so the planets can take the name you have given to the star.

I tell you, if God had been given the DW planet editor to create the universe, there's no way He could have got the job done in 7 days!

Osito

Here's a hint for planets; visualize them, and write the first thing that comes to mind.

The resulting gibberish is often pretty cool. I did this right now, and this is what I came up with;

Kraig

Ommaerset

Nehilous

Nycellus

Fumirole

It's pretty fun, and easy. :D
feygan

Post by feygan »

Osito

If ever there was an example of why the built in editor is a problem I think your issue illustrates it perfectly. I can only hope either we get an official modding tool or some bright spark devices a way to make "map" files with a gui tool that can be imported. It would be unfortunate if this project (and others that follow) are dead in the water through such a small oversight.
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

If you need a star name generator, use this:
http://www.wordlab.com/gen/morpheme-machine.php

Its results are actually very close to your average 4X game.
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Osito

Post by Osito »

I asked a question on the main board about whether my map can be loaded into a different theme. I am finding that if I try to load my galaxy map into another theme, the game switches back to the default theme. I have also tried placing the map in the maps folder of a theme (specifically, the 'Extended' mod), but the game still switches back to the default theme when I try to play it.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Osito
Osito
Osito

Post by Osito »

This project is now on hold until further notice. I hope this is just a temporary hold up, but that depends on Matrix.

As you will see from this post tm.asp?m=3641149, it appears that my map is only usable with the default theme. If you try to load it as a map into another theme, the game switches back to the default theme. If you place the map in the maps folder of another theme, the game switches back to the default theme (and crashes) if you try to run the map.

To mind mind, these restrictions render the ability to create and load custom maps of very little value. Who is going to want to spend a lot of time on a single map, if it can only be used in a single theme (I have already spent more than 150 hours on this project)? I wanted to play my map with the 'DW extended' mod, but I can't, because I created the map with the default theme.

I'm sorry if this causes disappointment to anyone. I'm afraid I simply hadn't realised that this restriction would apply to maps. It's not in the documentation (not as far as I'm aware), and it hadn't occurred to me that there would be a problem.

In the post I linked above, Ehsumrell1 indicated that Elliot may provide the game with the functionality to load any map into a theme (i.e. regardless of the theme it was created in). If he does this, then I will start work on this project again, assuming my existing map is compatible with the changes.

Thanks,

Osito
Osito
feygan

Post by feygan »

Had a feeling this was going to be the case, can only hope a patch is just around the corner to rectify this oversight.
Upuauta

Post by Upuauta »

Wow, what a bummer. Let´s hope this is fixed soon. I looked forward playing your awesome map.
Verjigorm

Post by Verjigorm »

I'd definitely prefer option 2... wasn't the first approach for a somewhat realistic galaxy and now that's dropped to add nearby stars? mh...

Well, either way... what a bunch of work. Nicely done :)
[center]Lost dark soul, imprisoned abysmal desire
plunged in flames, gone through hellfire[/center]
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

Yeah I have to say part of the issue with the game is the HUGE amount of resources to be found constantly, like hydrogen and caslon - it means fighting over them is trivial - I'd like to see more strategy and less convenience where this is concerned perhaps ? :)
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Osito, have you tried starting a new game, loading your map checking off all the regenerate boxes?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: mensrea

Osito, have you tried starting a new game, loading your map checking off all the regenerate boxes?

You're right! It does seem to work if you regenerate everything. I'm not sure whether you have to check all the regenerate boxes, just some of them; I'll have to investigate. In any event, I think I can live with that restriction, so this project may well be back on. I'll do some more investigation later today and let people whether I can now continue with it.

Thanks for the input mensrea.

Osito

Edit: Ok, it appears that the map will work with different mods, provided you check the option for 'regenerate resources'. I don't know why checking this option matters, but it seems it does. Anyway, the bottom line is that I don't think this is too big a restriction, so I am going to restart work on the mod. I still have to add another 1000 star systems, and it takes at least one minute per system, so you do the maths! Then there's some play testing. I reckon it will require about 30-40 hours altogether.
Osito
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

If a mod has changed it resources then loading a game you saved with that mod from another mod will cause an error. Its trying to draw on resources that no longer exist. In a gross sense its a file not found error.
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: mensrea

If a mod has changed it resources then loading a game you saved with that mod from another mod will cause an error. Its trying to draw on resources that no longer exist. In a gross sense its a file not found error.

Note that even if a mod changes nothing at all, the theme still changes back to default when you try to load the map, unless you tick the 'regenerate resources' box.
Osito
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Hope it turns out well! :D

Return to “Design and Modding”