Master Wishlist Thread

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sithuk

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

Post by Sithuk »

I would prefer the ability to adjust the tax policy thresholds based on how full a world is relative to it total population capacity. That would remove the need for the player to monitor the tax setting, world population, and world capacity frequently to optimise the growth rate and tax income trade-off.

Just to be clear, I'd like the AI to set a world's tax rate to zero to maximise the growth rate until the world's population capacity is achieved. Then to set the tax rate to the highest level which achieves a positive happiness. The issue with hardcoded population bands for setting tax level is that a world's population capacity varies depending on a number of factors. Better to have the tax band adjusted by how full a world is.

For example,
[Population/Maximum population] [tax level]
0-50% zero tax
50%-95% low tax
95%-100% high tax
ldog

Post by ldog »

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

I would prefer the ability to adjust the tax policy thresholds based on how full a world is relative to it total population capacity. That would remove the need for the player to monitor the tax setting, world population, and world capacity frequently to optimise the growth rate and tax income trade-off.

Just to be clear, I'd like the AI to set a world's tax rate to zero to maximise the growth rate until the world's population capacity is achieved. Then to set the tax rate to the highest level which achieves a positive happiness. The issue with hardcoded population bands for setting tax level is that a world's population capacity varies depending on a number of factors. Better to have the tax band adjusted by how full a world is.

For example,
[Population/Maximum population] [tax level]
0-50% zero tax
50%-95% low tax
95%-100% high tax

+1
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

1) I'd really like to see some more control of the civilian fleet PRIORITIES given. Not necessarily control of the ships of course - but their priorities with retard to what they should be selling and who to.
2) Would like to see a lot more variation in the flags for non-pirate entities - like 70% of them are circular.
3) Fix the UI, like buttons on the ship screen to see things like cargo or damage instead of having to double-click the name - it's not very user friendly as-is.
4) Music plays on a new game even if you have it off. Stuff like that needs fixing, just small polish type stuff I guess.
5) I'd like the "starbase" to be a bit more configurable. Why can't I connect a starbase as a refuelling point ? Ships always ignore it, preferring a gas mining station or a star port.
dvr

Post by dvr »

I've seen this a couple of times earlier, but the most wanted thing I am looking for is a visual mark on the map where battles/attacks treats and such are going on. On a 10+ system empire I start to loose my grip on watch going without zooming in and out and reading true the message log. Some kind of visual reminder would be very helpful
AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

Would be super sweet if you could set total amounts of resources you want stockpiled on planets/ stations and possibly have a priority system in place so you could set a certain # to be kept on colonies by priority sortof like how in Gnomoria/Dwarf fortress you'd set a stockpile to 4 priority and any resources that could go into that stockpile would go there before until it filled up and then they'd fill up the next one if that one was still full. Or make resource stockpiles global because the ai can not handle what it needs to as is in an efficient manner, I'd prefer the toggle able amounts than a global resource stockpile though even if you could only edit it in some .txt so that the ai would have similar stockpiles on planets because they need it just as bad or even more so.

The private sector/ai is too stupid and thinks it'd smart to rid your homeworld of supplies and send them off to your colonies, I built one construction ship on my first colony and they sent over my steel reserves (over 100k) to that colony leaving me 0 on my homeworld, I wasn't actually using it at the time on my homeworld but they were to build more ships. It's not that I'm saying this after only playing one or 2 games this is happening all the time and it's pretty annoying that they would waste their time by sending resources to places they don't need to be.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I've mentioned these before around the forums but..:

1. Allow for policies to be set for individual races rather than just own race and all other races. This way we can enslave/exterminate races that we don't want/like while keeping the ones we do.

2. Scale planets correctly. Having population caps up in the 2O to 3O billion range is excessive without technological development of some sort. Earth size planets should be looking at 1O to 12 billion caps by default. At one point i managed to convert all planets, including gas giants as well as stars to realistic sizes so i know it can be done.

3. DW2 needs to have BETTER AI than DW1. I've unfortunately noticed that alot of sequels seem to retrograde their AI to make room for graphics improvements.

4. A ship design system that is more friendly having multiple role based designs. Retrofitting is a pain for me right now because i design and actively use multiple different ships using the "Frigate" role and the "Cruiser" role.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

1. Take automated fleets on "defend system" stance off the "idle ship" list. It's a pain to have all my system garrison fleets appear as idle, since it adds a constantly increasing number to the idle ship cycle, and I don't really need to know that fleets I've manually assigned to protect systems are currently not doing anything other than guard duty.

2. Make the AI less cowardly when responding to ship damage. It's a right pain (and a massive AI exploit) that ships with one battered armor plate instantly get frightened and run away. I know AI programming isn't easy but there has to be a better way than having anything touched by a rail gun or a grav beam crap itself and flee. Even recycling the shield flee percentage for armor would work better, IMHO.

3. It would be really nice if the galaxy map ruins overlay had some distinguishing feature between explored and unexplored ruins. As is, you have to click to get to the planet in question and then hover the ruin, then reopen the galaxy map and move to the next location. That's slow. And overlay with blue for unexplored and yellow for explored would be super fast.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

So, it is early game, and you stumble upon a powerful station, one of those medium supply depots. The ships are nice, no doubt, and the station has awesome parts. Only downside? It is not only in the middle of nowhere, but it is in the middle of a storm which means that not only is it not providing any productive use, but it quickly becomes a drain to supply as it constantly drains its fuel reserves trying to keep its shields charged.

Your only options are to retrofit or scrap.

It would be nice if it were possible to order a constructor to break down a station than rebuild it somewhere else. Therefore, instead of having your awesome starbase in the middle of an anamolous gravity well in deep space, you could have it at one of your important planets, or if you were a pirate, a decent gas giant.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

The ability to mod planets and stars; type, size range, prevalence, planet location range in solar system, attributes, etc...

Just having those forest planet images makes want a forest moon of Endor in my game.

EDIT: I go into a lot more detail about the sort of things I'd like to be able to mod in this post over in the modding forum.
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

Display of the time in upper right corner. It is an option in Diablo3, that is useful (to me).
Wanabe

Post by Wanabe »

Posted some stuff that I'd like on the steam forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/di ... 915727053/
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

Since many issues are being dealt with now, I'd like to bring up a couple of suggestions from the past that I know a lot of people wanted. They should be fairly easy to implement.

1) The ability to see all colonizable planets of all types, regardless of whether you have the relevant technology or not. In this way, you know what colonizable planets you have discovered and can plan your research appropriately. It would also be useful in other ways.

2) The ability to set a spy to repeat an action. Thus, you can have the spy set to auto-repeat stealing of a certain technology until he either fails or completely steals it. It could also be used in other areas of spying as well. It would cut down on spy micro-management.

Anyways, just a couple of old requests :)
Texashawk

Post by Texashawk »

I'd just like to have a way to have the 'necessary' components for all ships (life support, command module, reactor, etc) be put onto every new design by default. It always takes 20-30 seconds to hunt and peck for these components, and though you can copy as new, sometimes I just want to design a ship from scratch.
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Tormodino

Post by Tormodino »

Ehsumrell1 pointed out that I should elaborate an idea I had an post it here. Elements of this suggestion might be less easy to implement, but I think this could be an excellent addition to the user interface.
Straight away I have to say that I do not know how the AI would deal with this, but it utilizes the mechanics already in the game so it should be doable. I included as many relevant options as I could think of. I am sure some wishes are less doable than others, but they are not really dependent on each other so it's quite an open list of suggestions.

tl;dr More management options and oversight on the fleet screen to make using, maintaining and managing fleet much more user friendly.

A more comprehensive and easily viewable fleet screen

Include the ability to create fleet directly from the fleet screen, setting the number of ships of each type to include in the fleet, homebase as well as stance and operating range.

Being able to add and remove ships from a fleet, retrofit individual ships and classes in a selected fleet. This avoids having to go into the massive and crowded list of military ships.

Setting the exact composition of the army loadout of a selected fleet. This could possibly be tricky since the transports vary in size, but a warning saying "This fleet does not have enough troop compartments to carry the army" or some such could help out with this.

Setting standard fleets and strike forces. Much like ship design, this could be as simple as setting a desired target number of ships and ship types to include in a fleet. A quick-buy option could construct and assemble the fleet at the desired system. This would help out the people who manually design special ship types and who want them included by default in their fleets. The AI could, if this is tricky to make work with how they create their fleets, keep using the current model.

I don't know how feasible it is to set an area of operations (selecting specific systems where the fleet will operate and engage targets, and potentially intercept incoming fleets), but this would also be an excellent addition to the current system.

Fleets being kept up to desired strength through automatic reinforcements. This could possibly be a drain on resources, but this is a strategic concern, and does not really limit the merit of a possible automation.

This might be a pipe dream, but finally I would absolutely love to be able to set attack targets, coordinating fleets to assemble at a point I set, and then attacking in a coordinated strike.

Looking it over, this really empowers the player, possibly unbalancing the game in the humans favour even more, but overall I think the expanded control and oversight would be a great boon to the game.
thefinn12345

Post by thefinn12345 »

1) When viewing a system from the galactic map, you can see planets that have bases on them at present.

I'd like a full list of planets bases or not, so I don't have to scroll all the way down to see the planets. I could just click on the icon like I can when there is a base present.

2) The ability to choose multiple ships from the ships and bases menu and then "select ship" to have them controllable.

3) Presently when an alien race wishes to do a trade say "Gas Mining station Blah" for "something you have or will do for us" you cannot see what the mining station is actually mining. You are basically blindly accepting or denying the trade. Information is good.

The same issue is true of many of the diplo screens. More information please.\

4) The ability to set diplomats to particular missions from the diplomacy screen (as long as the homeworld is known obviously).

5) Retrofit All button on the ship loadout screen.

6) More of the game available for modding - in particular the AI, and the economic ships and economy.

7) More ability to change the freighter behaviour in the game.
For instance, an ability to have a menu option in the ship menu next to each freighter which pulls down to 3 options.

"Internal Trade only"
"Inter-Empire trade only"
"Automatic"
And have them default to automatic of course.

This would allow people to set up exactly how much logistics they are doing and how much trade the ships are doing in times of crisis of one kind or another.

Of course turning them all to internal trade pretty much stops trading with everyone in the game, which should lead to negative consequences ;)

8) An ability to stop trading ANY good to ANY Empire from the diplomacy screen, and have negative modifiers depending on what goods you will or will not trade - trade sanctions should create more negative modifiers than they currently do. This allows me to attack CERTAIN bases knowing I can help starve an empire next to me of a particular good.

9) More interesting stuff to do with hidden pirate bases. For instance the ability to gain some advantage to having a pirate base on a colonisable world that has noone there yet - perhaps just gaining the resources but no money as there's no population.

Economic warfare should be more important.

10) When you select more than 1 ship that aren't in a fleet, I'd still like the ability to "automate all".

Yarasala

Post by Yarasala »

Hi everyone,

I would very much like a better fleet handling UI:

- Select a fleet and show it on the left side
- On the right side select another existing fleet, create a new fleet or select no fleet at all, but show all military ships not currently part of a fleet (possibly with a filter to show all ships of a certain type or at a certain location etc.)
- Make it possible to multi-select ships in either the left or right region
- There are four buttons:
- - Move all selected ships from left to right
- - Move all ships (selected or not) from left to right
- - Move all selected ships from right to left
- - Move all ships (selected or not) from right to left

If a fleet is selected on the right, ships are moved to and from that fleet. If no fleet is selected, ships moved to the right are just taken from the fleet on the left, while ships moved to the left are added to the fleet on the left.
Verjigorm

Post by Verjigorm »

Component Building Priority

Define priority in which components are assembled. If you want a specific order you need to clear a design and add everything by hand again in the order wished.
[center]Lost dark soul, imprisoned abysmal desire
plunged in flames, gone through hellfire[/center]
tmski

Post by tmski »

• Ability to set the font size for scrolling message box at top of screen to either allow for better readability or to have more messages displayed in scrolling message box.
  • Ability to resize the scrolling message box to enlarge the box for PCs with larger screen sizes. Similar to the Selection info box in the lower left corner of the screen.
pkoko

Post by pkoko »

How about ability to easily combine fleets?

How about adding another ship organization hierarchy called squadron? So Fleets --> Squadrons --> Individual ships.

To take it one step further. Squadrons will have different roles. Like Carrier squadron, Reconnaissance Squadron, Long Range Squadrons, Troop transport squadron etc.
vmxa_slith

Man I am hating THESE EVENTS

Post by vmxa_slith »

Crazy, ugly, stupid. I was just messing around, killing off the last race, first full game. I get a msg that there was a revolution and my empire split, really? Why would that happen? War weary, I doubt it. The race has huge anti WW. People are not unhappy about wars, when things are going swimmingly. Why would you have such an event in a game anyway? Is that going to please anyone? I doubt it.

Really hate capricious events in any game.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”