[DWU] New game error in own mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

gerishnakov

[DWU] New game error in own mod

Post by gerishnakov »

Hi all, I've been messing about with my own mod for a little while now, with no unresolvable errors encountered. I've now come across one which is preventing me from starting a new game with my mod (see below). I have no idea what it means, unlike other errors I've seen, which have all been self-explanatory.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated; I just want to play the damn game now!

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (231.91 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Darkspire

RE: [DWU] New game error in own mod

Post by Darkspire »

Missing a comma?

Darkspire
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Missing a comma?

Darkspire

Ha! I had a problem with a missing comma and thought I'd fixed it, but maybe there's another one missing somewhere.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Amazing how a single comma can cause a game to become completely unplayable.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Amazing how a single comma can cause a game to become completely unplayable.
So goes computer programming for you! Just like starting a car with a spark plug missing.
There are rules to be followed or else! Especially with modifications to a working vanilla
game.

[8|]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
LeFoureur

Post by LeFoureur »

You have change the file of resource ?
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
So goes computer programming for you! Just like starting a car with a spark plug missing.
There are rules to be followed or else! Especially with modifications to a working vanilla
game.

[8|]

Except DW is the hardest game to mod (counting moddable games only) I've played with during the last few years. ;) I've modded titles like OpenXCom, Xenonauts, Civilization: Call to Power, Alien Shooter 2 and possibly more, and each one used a data system that was way more transparent. In DW, you get endless strings with apparently meaningless numbers separated by commas; working with this is hell when compared to other games that use named flags and separate values into their own paragraphs. So I think it's not only an issue of data being data. :)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Point understood Solarius. Remember though, at present, Distant Worlds Universe is basically
5 game styles in one, based and running off the same text file(s) information in most cases.
I bet Elliot has an infinite amount of Maximum Strength Excedrin in his medicine cabinet!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

Point understood Solarius. Remember though, at present, Distant Worlds Universe is basically
5 game styles in one, based and running off the same text file(s) information in most cases.

True, true. :)
I bet Elliot has an infinite amount of Maximum Strength Excedrin in his medicine cabinet!

I expect a case of superior intelligence at least on S1 level. ;)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Anytime I ever made a syntax error (missing comma) the game simply wouldn't start. Logic errors, on the other hand, would throw out errors like this. Based off that report, it seems like you reached some kind of hard coded limit with something in the race files. You may want to review what you changed and make sure you read the notes about min/max numbers.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Did this get solved? What was the answer?
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Did this get solved? What was the answer?

'Fraid not. I just took out my mod, decided it was my 'first try', and started from scratch. Hopefully this time I have a slightly better idea of what I'm doing! I'm also keeping a log of everything I've done to the game, which should help if something like this happens again.

As of now I'm running a game with a version 0.1 of my new mod, which is only a few minor changes, and nothing's gone wrong... yet!

Return to “Design and Modding”