How to simulate mobilization of navy units?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

frosen

How to simulate mobilization of navy units?

Post by frosen »

I'm working on a scenario where the Swedish Navy (and Air Force) is mobilizing from it's peacetime anchored up in port position into their wartime archipelago bases.

I want to simulate a state were the mobilization is in progress and the ships are not yet functional wartime units (e.g. non moving and defenceless). How can this be solved? I know you could fiddle with some side changing features but I don't know exactly how to do this and maybe some of you have a better solution?

Thanks!
NakedWeasel

RE: How to simulate mobilization of navy units?

Post by NakedWeasel »

I don't have enough time to fully elaborate, but I've thought about this in a NATO vs PACT scenario- Teleport. The issue was, in the scenario, the Scandinavian airbases would be smashed, requiring NATO to operate out of road bases in Norway and Sweden. I teleport in the bases with an event in the editor.

Got to run, I'll help more with this in a few hours.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
Jakob Wedman

Post by Jakob Wedman »

What if you have a side with Swedish not mobilized units and with a logical side for each Swedish ship. You would have duplicates of the not yet mobilized ships with one for the not mobilized side, starting in the naval base, and one for the Swedish side, starting off-map (like Lake Superior). The logical sides should be neutral so Sweden. Set up an exclusion zone for the logical sides and if the ship corresponding to the logical side is destroyed teleport a Swedish unit (like a marker) into the exclusion zone so that the logical side turns hostile to Sweden.

Then build events that would switch places for the Swedish (operational) ship with the not mobilized ship that would activate at time T with the condition that the corresponding logical side is still neutral to Sweden (ie the ship has not been destroyed).

Complicated? Nah [:D]
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

I think Jakob has the answer, but depending on what you want the non-mobilized units to do - you can disable parts of the ship in the editor by going to the Damage control interface, so perhaps you have 3 or 4 versions of the ship, one full up ready to teleport in when you want it as Jakob described. The others in the logical side, Ship 1 - No sensors, no weapons, no engine, Ship 2 (based on a timed event which teleports Ship 1 out to the Pacific and Ship 2 into place) has sensors up, partial engines perhaps, Ship 3 has some basic weapons added and engineering all up. Ship 4 ready to go to war - if it has survived, and you'll need to create an event (not sure on this one) which terminates the teleport(s) if any of the ships become fish feeders along the way.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”