[FIXED B505] HARM vs Fulcrum anomaly

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

VFA41_Lion

[FIXED B505] HARM vs Fulcrum anomaly

Post by VFA41_Lion »

Build 490

Operation Brass Drum. Launched 4 charlie Hornets against the Char Bahar airbase SAM system. Selected a bunch of mobile contacts and the radar as targets for the AGM-88E and had 1 EA-18G about 100 nm south of the target area providing offensive ECM.

The HARMs launch with no emission lock and there happen to be a couple of MiG-29s in their path. Well... the HARMs lock onto the airborne radars (kind of expected that to happen) and miss. Well, they sure missed, but I think the simulation went a tad crazy trying to calculate it. Attachment 2 (in the next post) is the save a few seconds before the first HARMs start getting intercepted.

Attachments
HARMwtf.jpg
HARMwtf.jpg (49.65 KiB) Viewed 235 times
VFA41_Lion

RE: HARM vs Fulcrum anomaly

Post by VFA41_Lion »

teh save file
Attachments
HARMlocks..Fulcrum.zip
(340.22 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Nice catch.

This might be something specific to the AGM-88E. We'll take a look.

Thanks!

Mike
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

I think it would be kinda neat in my opinion for an AARGM to attack a aircraft, but I suppose it would be even more neat if it could do so successfully. As your Save game shows, six shot, six missed. Still, that's more satisfying than, "AGM-88E ran out of energy, self destructing." or, "AGM-88E malfunctioned." [:D]
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
dillonkbase

Post by dillonkbase »

Any reason a harm couldn't hit an mainstay or KA-31 helix? Something like this once came up in one of the eb-52 books by dale? brown?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I'd not see why not. After all, Soviet/Russian designed "Anti-AWACS" missiles like Vympel R-37 and KS-172 would hardly be more maneuverable than HARM (apart from being inertial guidance/active radar).

Fighters could be other thing, but I'd not see it difficult to modify AMRAAM "home-on-jam" capability for that too.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

schroedi

Post by schroedi »

In reality there was an incident during the gulf war when a HARM locked on the tailgunners radar of a B52 (i think a G version) and hit.
IWS

Post by IWS »

Yep. The B-52 survived, and was then nicknamed named "In HARM's way" :-)
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

There was also an American project called Brazo, in the early 1970s, which was intended to produce an air-to-air ARM based on the Sparrow. It performed successfully in initial testing, with a number of air-to-air intercepts, but the program was not pursued any further.

You can see the Wikipedia page for the Brazo HERE.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Fixed in Build 505.

Return to “Tech Support”