Invalid Format popup in scenario editor

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

recruit2112

Invalid Format popup in scenario editor

Post by recruit2112 »

First off, thanks for the new update and continue support of the Campaign Series! It is still one of my favorites that I like to play.

My problem is every time I try to save a scenario file, I get the error "Invalid Format". I've tried to follow the formats seen in the header fields but I keep getting this error. Any help would be appreciated.
Crossroads

RE: Invalid Format popup in scenario editor

Post by Crossroads »

Yes, the No-of-Turns and Visibility entries have a changed format. See: Dynamic Day / Night & Visibility.

So, even for a normal setting you'd need something like:

Turns: 1-18[d]
Visibility: 1-18[16]

Previous version would have simply had Turns: 18 and, Visibility: 16.

Hope this helps.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

The "invalid format" indicates that Turns and/or Visibility are specified incorrectly.

Try to cut-and-paste and post here exactly what you are attempting to enter in those fields.

Maybe this will clarify:
You must be very careful when specifying Turns and Visibility. They must be one or a sequence of

#-#[d] or #-#[n]

for day/night, and

#-#[#]

for visibility.

No spaces! except those separating one turn segment from the next.
Some examples (not realistic ones, only used for tests):

1-3[d] 4-7[n] 8-10[d]
1-1[1] 2-2[2] 3-3[3] 4-4[4] 5-5[5] 6-6[6] 7-7[7] 8-8[8] 9-9[9] 10-10[10]

1-3[n] 4-7[d] 8-10[n]
1-1[10] 2-2[9] 3-3[8] 4-4[7] 5-5[6] 6-6[5] 7-7[4] 8-8[3] 9-9[2] 10-10[1]

1-1[d] 2-2[n] 3-3[d] 4-4[n] 5-5[d] 6-6[n] 7-7[d] 8-8[n] 9-9[d] 10-10[n]
1-1[1] 2-2[2] 3-3[3] 4-4[4] 5-5[5] 6-6[6] 7-7[7] 8-8[8] 9-9[9] 10-10[10]

It may be hard to see, but there are single spaces separating each of the segments above.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
recruit2112

Post by recruit2112 »

Thanks,

Tried this:
Turns: 1-10[d]
Visibility: 1-10[10]

And it worked![:)]
baltjes

Post by baltjes »

First of all: many thanks for the update.

During the last view years, I have developped some scenario's with dynamic visibility (and also dynamic ground-conditions and conditional supply). The correct values of these items were obtained during play by changing the .btl-file at the appropriate game turns. The question now is: do I have to redo these scenario's in the new format for dynamic day/visibility or can I continue to use the scenario's as they are? (As I understand, the new format is (till now) only valid for day/visibility and not (yet) for ground-conditions and supply, so these features I will have to change via the .btl-file anyway).

Hajo
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: baltjes

First of all: many thanks for the update.

During the last view years, I have developped some scenario's with dynamic visibility (and also dynamic ground-conditions and conditional supply). The correct values of these items were obtained during play by changing the .btl-file at the appropriate game turns. The question now is: do I have to redo these scenario's in the new format for dynamic day/visibility or can I continue to use the scenario's as they are? (As I understand, the new format is (till now) only valid for day/visibility and not (yet) for ground-conditions and supply, so these features I will have to change via the .btl-file anyway).

Hajo

From what I understood your post it would seem you still need to manually edit the dynamic ground conditions and supply within the file as per how you want to set them.

However you can now get rid of manually editing the day/night/visibility sequences. Those would be now possible to define in the scenario header dialog.
---
baltjes

Post by baltjes »

I feared so. Thanks for reply anyway. Much work to do!

By the way, if visibility is completely editable, what is the extra value of day versus night. The only thing I can think about is the use of starshells.
With visibility ´1´ during night a starshell has effect, whereas during day, e.g with heavy fog, it might have no effect. But what with heavy fog at night?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Yes, as you pointed out, night is night, and night rules take effect. For an example without starshells, attack values are halved. Visibility is just that, visibility.

So the difference bw. simulate a heavy fog on a night vs a heavy fog on day are the night rules. Even with fog and visibility of 1, the units would fire at their full strength during day...
---
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I believe the visibility setting for night is the distance that you can fire at enemy gunflashes.

Note that the stock West Front scenarios use the old "1 hex range" night rules without gunflashes and starshells. These scenarios were updated by the 1.04 team and are included in the 2.00 patch in the "West Front" folder, in the "WF night conversion" subfolder.

Note that these will overwrite the stock scenarios so rename them if you want to keep the stock ones around. There is a readme file in the subfolder.
simovitch

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I believe the visibility setting for night is the distance that you can fire at enemy gunflashes.

Note that the stock West Front scenarios use the old "1 hex range" night rules without gunflashes and starshells. These scenarios were updated by the 1.04 team and are included in the 2.00 patch in the "West Front" folder, in the "WF night conversion" subfolder.

Note that these will overwrite the stock scenarios so rename them if you want to keep the stock ones around. There is a readme file in the subfolder.

Ahem [8D]

Actually, activate these modified scenarios, as you would activate any modification, by using the JSGME utility now included in your installation. More info on how to do that can be found here: LINK.

---
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

doh! that's right![8D]
simovitch

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”