Age of the spw@w´er?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Panzer Capta

Post by Panzer Capta »

45 years young. Started computer wargaming with "Kampfgruppe". SPWaW is at the top of my list now. Dont know how i do it, but also find time for:

Tigers on Prowl 2
Panthers in the Shadow
Dragons in the Mist
Broken Alliance
East Front II
Rising Sun
West Front
Panzer Campaign Smolensk
Panzer Campaign Normandy
Panzer Campaign Kharkov
Close Combat III and IV
Combat Mission
Sudden Strike
Pack Rat

Post by Pack Rat »

50 here. Started playing with HO scale tanks and troops when I was but a kid. Played some war board games but they weren't real in depth. Sp1 got me reinvolved.

------------------
PR
http://electricwar.tripod.com/
PR
skukko

Post by skukko »

36,3girls,married. Started wargames in late70's, boardgame-don't remember name...

mosh
salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Drex:
I'm 53. Wild Bill is probably the only one older than me in spwaw. Some of you younger guys have taught me some new tricks in this game.
Well, I'm older than you, but younger than Wild Bill. Go figure.

Retreat is NOT an option.

David boutwell

Post by David boutwell »

I'm almost 35, married almost 12 years with 1 daughter. I started wargaming by watching my dad and uncle fight battles on the floor with 1/76th scale soldiers and made up rules when I was probably no older than 4 or five. I used to look at the battle maps in my dad's American Heritage Civil war book, count the flags, and whoever had the most flags won the battle, at least in my 4 year old imagination. My first wargame was my uncle's AH Gettysburg. Started WWII wargaming with 1/76th scale soldiers on my friend's large porch, using bricks for buildings and lead expansion bolts for walls. I then moved on to Squad Leader in middle school. I've basically wargamed all of my life with one format or another. I even did Civil War reenactment for 10 years.

I remember when I first saw SP1. I found it as a demo in my Great Naval Battles CD the night before a trip to New Zealand. I was blown away. I spent the whole trip anticipating coming back home so that I could play that damn game!

Dave Boutwell
Don

Post by Don »

45 here - 25 in my mind and 65 in my body!
Don "Sapper" Llewellyn
USMCGrunt

Post by USMCGrunt »

30 years old (That's 225 years at my last Marine Corps Birthday). Been playing wargames sine I was 13. Some of the games and systems I've enjoyed have been:
Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge (My first)
Guderian on the Commodore 64
Fasa's Battle Tech system
Micro-Armor (While in the Marines)
GDW's Warhammer 40K series (Epic scale and small unit)
Axis and Allies (Ahhhhh Wargaming Lite)
Fortress America
Panzer General
SP1,2,3, and SPWAW (Definately the favorites)

There have been more but those were the ones I played on a regular basis.

------------------
USMCGrunt

-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
USMCGrunt

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll!

-Rudyard Kipling-
Possum

Post by Possum »

Hello.
I'M 38.
Started gaming with D & D in high school in '78, from there moved to ancient/medievial minatures, then to WWII minatures. mostly 1/72 scale for the WWII. I still have about 150 plastic 1/72 tanks packed away in tissue at my mothers house, & about 2000 ancient/fantasy 25mm Lead minatures.
"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.
ectizen

Post by ectizen »

hi everyone! i'm 32.

i started in the early '80s with 1/72 minitures, home made rules, and a friend's pool table for a battlefield.

mid '80s saw Close Assault on the trs-80 (i think it was a cut-down version of Squad Leader, with the computer telling me where to put the pieces).

late '80s gave me Advanced Sqaud Leader - a difficult game to play when you have basic knowledge of the rules, and your opponent has encyclopedic knowledge (his game, he got to read all the rules...).

next came Harpoon, Harpoon II, Steel Panthers, Steel Panthers 2. all of these were 1 or 2 computer generations behind my current, so there was usually some difficulty involved in simply running the games - because of this i didn't bother trying SP3...

3 or 4 weeks ago i heard that Steel Panthers was being actively developed again. 2 or 3 weeks ago i finished downloading it Image. my work is beginning to suffer.

it's nice to find a gamer's forum where the average age is over 14.

[This message has been edited by ectizen (edited March 09, 2001).]
ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W
Dagobert

Post by Dagobert »

40. Okay here are some old titles: AH's 1914 and Gettysburg. SPI's Phalanx, Strategy 1,Patrol, and WW2. I could go on. But 1914 was the first.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I'm almost 29 and waiting like crazy for the 5.0.

I'm getting an ADSL line by the kind help of my company and I'm praying that I will be able to play online despite the firewall. I just had to tell that to someone.

Joe

ps. Thank you very much Matrix and please tell me that you will accept international orders.
- Joe
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

"Make a hole, make it wide!" (I ain't that big, just like the sound of it! Image ).

The ancient one approacheth! Warmly known in the testing circles as "Greyhair6," "The old Fart," " the old buzzard," "Pops," "The Kunel," and other choice names which a "G" rating prevent me from mentioning (I never liked those guys anyway!)I suppose I am approaching patriarchial age now.

I'm 64, all parts working (sometimes) and have been an avid wargamer since 1965, beginning with AH Afrika Korps (Small world, huh?) and Midway.

35 years, hundreds of board games and 7 computers later, I'm still enjoying the hobby, learning every day and being thankful for this wonderful crowd of fellow enthusiasts, young and old, around the world.

As a child I never dreamed it would be this good!

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
USMCGrunt

Post by USMCGrunt »

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
"Make a hole, make it wide!" (I ain't that big, just like the sound of it! Image ).

The ancient one approacheth! Warmly known in the testing circles as "Greyhair6," "The old Fart," " the old buzzard," "Pops," "The Kunel," and other choice names which a "G" rating prevent me from mentioning (I never liked those guys anyway!)I suppose I am approaching patriarchial age now.

Sorry Wild Bill, but you know me. I just have to throw in a little tongue-in-cheek humor. Looking over your post, I just have to add 1 nickname "The Venerable One" and of course ask the question that's on everyone's mind. Just what was it like to hunt the mammoth?

I kid because I care.

------------------
USMCGrunt

-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
USMCGrunt

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll!

-Rudyard Kipling-
parusski

Post by parusski »

I am 34. I cut my teeth on SQUAD LEADER. I have two sons who also play SPWAW, one is 16 and the other is 15. We are all in wargame heaven(of course my wife is planning to sue matrix, but screw her).
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Fredde

Post by Fredde »

29.. been deeply involved in war games since the mature age of 11 (anyone beat that? Image ). My early favourite was Kampfgruppe, preceeded by some old games which I can't remember the name of.. board games made by a Swedish company. Had all versions of Steel Panthers.. but never got much involved with the community before SPWAW came out.
"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.
JTV

Post by JTV »

Age 29. I have been playing SP-seris games since SP1 was published and doing oobs (mobs/kobs) since first mob-editors were made for SP2.
varjager

Post by varjager »

31 and started back in 84 with "war in russia" From AH.Then i got my old Atari and played eastern front!
Don Doom

Post by Don Doom »

41, married[wife is actully glad I found spwaw, i.e. the kids hound me to play instead of her game Image]enough kids to man a panzer without the wife or me in it! Image Image
Started with 1/35 models back in the early 70's moved on to AH & SPI's board games, can you even say SPI's games where board games? They had those large maps of europe/russia, ahh memorys.

------------------
Doom
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
Figmo

Post by Figmo »

Originally posted by USMCGrunt:
Sorry Wild Bill, but you know me. I just have to throw in a little tongue-in-cheek humor. Looking over your post, I just have to add 1 nickname "The Venerable One" and of course ask the question that's on everyone's mind. Just what was it like to hunt the mammoth?

ROTFLMAO - I think he actually road those to school - if they had school back then!! Image

And he left out my favorite nick for the Wild Man "Old Man Grumpus"!!

Also, it's great to hear all these old game names again - what's scary is - I've played most of them! Image

Figmo
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Belaja smert

Post by Belaja smert »

One of the "juniors", huh!

My clock is ticking at 26 yrs.
"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”