Feedback for Build 4.6.269

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Arjuna

RE: Feedback for Build 4.6.269

Post by Arjuna »

Yes there is. I'll look into this tomorrow.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

That's a relief. Many thanks, Dave.
mst007

Post by mst007 »

Thanks for the swift attention guys. I have a question though,if you could bare with me? Miquel (Bletchley_Geek) experienced my 3 "problem enemy units" surrender within minutes of starting his game. Is that because he has a different beta update that is not released yet? I couldn`t replicate this with my beta version (shown as 269). Sorry if I appear a bit slow on the uptake here. Thanks in advance :)
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

He has a version of the software which is *only* on the SVN - not yet released as an internal Beta version.

He is a programmer working with Dave on the actual coding of the software, and thus "like unto a god". [&o]
mst007

Post by mst007 »

Hahahahahahah,thanks Lieste :)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Mark, he tried your saves with the latest build (which is not yet released) and found that it fixed the issue. Then Dave (Arjuna)- whose game this is - posted that he will try to produce a hotfix for this issue. So fingers crossed for that. Well done for sending in the saves so quickly.

UPDATE: I see Lieste also answered. Lieste appears in the game credits, complete with photo sporting luxurious hair and a remarkable hat, so if not like unto a God, he might at least be like unto a demi-God.....
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

From playing about 3 hours the AI surrender mechanic is much much better. I couldn't believe how fast my progress in Losheim Gap was with the new patch. All those <40man strong regiments in the north east were brushed aside like they should be.
Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Feedback above much appreciated. I have not had the surrender issues, but have also not seen a situation where they could happen, having so overwhelmed the enemy that they surrendered in mass confusion at the sight of my mighty panzer columns, in the only game I have had a chance to play yet [:D]
One thing that I have seen, and if no one else has seen it, then it could perhaps just be a situation unique to the scenario I am playing (my own, but on the peiper map)
The routes being chosen as "shortest" for mech and armored units are going around a very long way, if I choose just destination point. If I choose step-by-step waypoints, I can get it to be actually shorter.
Great work on this patch in every way though guys! The supply issue, as well as some of the anti-light armor issues seem great![:)]
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Mahatma
From playing about 3 hours the AI surrender mechanic is much much better. I couldn't believe how fast my progress in Losheim Gap was with the new patch. All those <40man strong regiments in the north east were brushed aside like they should be.

Good to hear that, Mahatma. That you make this observation precisely on the Losheim Gap scenario is particularly interesting.

But we'd like to keep an eye in case we've been overcompensating here. Yet, in any case, unsupported infantry in the open with short-range AT weapons vs. significant amounts of armour will probably mean the destruction/dispersion of the infantry force. So watch out!
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: navwarcol
The routes being chosen as "shortest" for mech and armored units are going around a very long way, if I choose just destination point. If I choose step-by-step waypoints, I can get it to be actually shorter.

Armoured and mechanized units will try to avoid concentrations of heavy AT firepower: the AI will override you to avoid excessive losses, unless it is a close attack (i.e. the FUP is close to the objective location). Nonetheless, it would be good to see an screenshot of one of these routes.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I want to address this issue about Miquel being a demi-god. Now we all know that the divine spark resides in all of us. So from that perspective this is an apt description but I can reassure you that he is mortal and I plan to put that to the test with a pin next time I see him. [;)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: GBS

Dave, I ziped my save file and tried to email to you. Hope you got it.

Greg
Got them Greg and can confirm that I have fixed it.

I want to apologise to everyone about the confusion with the fixes for the latest beta build. As Miquel did mention I inadvertently added the fix for this very issue to that list when in fact I had fixed it after that build. It will be in the hot-fix I am working on right now along with a fix for a formation lockup bug that Peter (phoenix) found.

As Miquel mentioned the beta process can be quite a ride. It's a dynamic process with a lot of iteration and sometimes you release a build only to find more bugs. That's just the way it works. If you would rather not have that inconvenience, then I suggest you wait for the official patch. But I'm pretty sure I speak for Miquel as well when I say that we certainly appreciate your involvement. It does help make this a better product. Thank you.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
I want to address this issue about Miquel being a demi-god. Now we all know that the divine spark resides in all of us. So from that perspective this is an apt description but I can reassure you that he is mortal and I plan to put that to the test with a pin next time I see him. [;)]

[X(] Well, I tend to think that nobody really dies as long as there's someone who remembers. We should perhaps inscribe those BFTB credits into a stone stele in a cave or something, if anything just to confuse and puzzle 70th century archaeologists.
ORIGINAL: Arjuna
But I'm pretty sure I speak for Miquel as well when I say that we certainly appreciate your involvement. It does help make this a better product

Indeed - the involvement is very much appreciated. At the very least means there's real people out there caring. If anything I post here sounds a bit rough, blame it to my sometimes tenuous command of the English language and having to write stuff in a rush [:)]
stardark

Post by stardark »

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the excellent support this game receives, and all the hard work associated with it. It's funny, I bought BftB back in 2011, and since then all expansion packs (except Battles From Greece, but that's next on my list), ALTHOUGH I did not have the time to play longer than perhaps one or two days. This game is so much different from anything I ever played. I am really looking forward to the Knock On All Doors expansion (any news about that as of yet?). So thanks again and keep it coming! :)

Cheers!
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: stardark
I am really looking forward to the Knock On All Doors expansion (any news about that as of yet?). So thanks again and keep it coming! :)

Maybe, Paul (vandorenp) it's about time you let people know what's the scenario list like and what you're covering there.
nemo7

Post by nemo7 »

Hello there gents, thank you for the quick update. There is something odd about this build; my game is lagging. There is a noticeable delay between the zoom in action and sometimes the game freezes for a few seconds. Before this build everything was just brilliant. Any ideas?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Sounds like a map cache issue. Try rebuilding the map cache for that particular map. To find out which map, open the scenario in the ScenMaker. The map name appears on the sidebar towards the bottom. Then open the map in the MapMaker and choose Generate Map Cache from the Map menu. Restart your game and see if that improves things. If it does please let me know which map it was. Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
nemo7

Post by nemo7 »

The map was "trois ponts". Generate map draw cache + restart. No luck Arjuna
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I have noticed the lag in zooming with the mouse wheel, for example - is that what you mean? I could see it before this build on the bigger maps. But now it's more widespread, but still nothing I'd worry about. I had wondered if there had been some change to the maps - to make them more detailed in some way (and hence more processor intensive)- in the process, perhaps, of changing the supply mechanics. But what I'm seeing is pretty instantaneous (though still a noticeable 'lag'). I don't get freezes at all.

dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Yes same here.
It is a bit jerky, but if that's the price to pay for the better supply display, and routing then so be it.

Return to “Command Ops Series”