Impressions of Matrix World In Flames (MWIF)

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Empire101

RE: Impressions of Matrix World In Flames (MWIF)

Post by Empire101 »

Scrawny little boat!! ( Harumph!!! )

Well still trying to download the monster, tried the suggested accelerators without much success [:(]

Am now trying my fifth attempt to download [:(]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Empire101

Scrawny little boat!! ( Harumph!!! )

Well still trying to download the monster, tried the suggested accelerators without much success [:(]

Am now trying my fifth attempt to download [:(]
I used Download Accelerator without problems but I don't think it actually did any acceleration. I'd try default everything and see how you go.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Well after a massive 12hr download using DAP, I've finally got it after several failed attempts.
( Thank God I've got the hard copy coming too!! )

I'll unpack the ZIP file on my return from work.

By the way Neilster....what happened to your cool avatar of the Panzer recruiting poster?
I rather liked that one.[:)]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

monkla

Post by monkla »

ORIGINAL: bo

ORIGINAL: Centuur

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

+1

I can understand that you think this way. I have to respect both your opinions regarding this. However, I give you the following question:

1. Matrix announced that Netplay wasn't bugfree and also stated that not all optional rules are in the game at this moment. This could have given you the idea that things might not be good enough to live up to your expectations.
2. Matrix is as a company entitled to set the conditions how to get the game.

So why did you buy it, knowing these two things? Why didn't you wait?

I'll give you the answer: you wanted this game, because you've been waiting for so long to get your hands on this. So gentlemen: either you live with this for the moment and help us fix this monster, or you put it into a computer folder, follow the forums and wait until you think it is playable...

That's how I think about these (and I quote a somewhat strange tank commander out of an even stranger WW II movie, which I like a lot, since it is a very funny one...) "negative waves"...

Well said Centuur, but I need some clarification here about the word trolling, I have heard about it before, could someone please explain it to me, and what it means.

Bo

Hi again,

Just to respond to earlier posts.

I am, and will continue to do so, download the updates as they get posted.

The bugs I have found are simply duplicates of what are already being reported by others.

And while I understand Matrix has the right to release the product in whatever condition they wish, I as a consumer have the right to my own opinion of those releases. I figure it is no good me sulking in the back of my computer room and not say anything. It can only be more productive to open up a dialogue and let Matrix know what my views are. If enough people were to agree with me, then they too can speak up if they choose. And as per our democratic ideals, hopefully, if there are enough who feel a certain way then Matrix may look differently at any future releases.

I would otherwise just ask the question. If you were to buy a new car and the brakes partly worked, and the headlights wouldn't turn on and the indicators wouldn't turn off. Would you tell yourself, "oh, I'll just keep driving this car, report the problems and they'll get those problems sorted out and then give me the upgrades later". I think I know what the general consensus would be. I do not see a difference between that situation and MWiF.
bo

Post by bo »

Hi monkla

I see my post in your post and I would like to clear that up, I was not referring to you in any way or accusing you of trolling, I feel you were very concerned about the product you bought, you stated your feelings and some of the posters including me answered your post. That is what the forums are about IMO give and take, sharing opinons and ideas, it is when these opinions turn nasty with insults and agitiating that the word trolling rears it's ugly head.

I personally find nothing wrong with your posts. Just maybe a little frustration with the game.

Bo
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

My MWiF car also has a couple problems.
My rear window wiper is stuck. The radio only gets AM channels. Passenger seat does not adjust. The interior light is missing. Nothing that prevents me from driving safely.
The headlights are a little dimmer than I'm use to. The brakes work fine. If the turn indicators have a problem, i just use basic hand and arm signals to warn other MWiF cars.

I have MATRIX car towing/insurance. They have not left me stranded if my MWiF car does act up and its sidelined.

Overall no safety problems to keep me off the road in flames.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
monkla

Post by monkla »

ORIGINAL: bo

Hi monkla

I see my post in your post and I would like to clear that up, I was not referring to you in any way or accusing you of trolling, I feel you were very concerned about the product you bought, you stated your feelings and some of the posters including me answered your post. That is what the forums are about IMO give and take, sharing opinons and ideas, it is when these opinions turn nasty with insults and agitiating that the word trolling rears it's ugly head.

I personally find nothing wrong with your posts. Just maybe a little frustration with the game.

Bo

No worries. I never thought that anyone had said anything to be concerned about.

Anyhow. I've said my piece. I leave it to others to offer their opinions if they care.

That only leaves the patient wait for a fully functional game.
Jones944

Post by Jones944 »

ORIGINAL: monkla

I would otherwise just ask the question. If you were to buy a new car and the brakes partly worked, and the headlights wouldn't turn on and the indicators wouldn't turn off. Would you tell yourself, "oh, I'll just keep driving this car, report the problems and they'll get those problems sorted out and then give me the upgrades later". I think I know what the general consensus would be. I do not see a difference between that situation and MWiF.
Car manufacturers recall cars quite often. They don't like it but no one has gone out of business for it yet, even though there have been deaths directly linked back to the problems (see Toyota accelerator issues). Also, none of us have paid $20,000 for this game.... [:)]
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

Actually quite a few automobile manufacturers have ceased production because they produced a sub-standard product.

I received my copy of MWIF on 20 November. Since then I have played it four to five hours per day. My complaints are:
1.) The only serious bug that I have encountered is the issue with Japanese supply in China. I have experience about a dozen MadExempts at this point. (I am not counting the ones that I receive when I change screens from MWIF to some other programme as they do not seem to have any effect upon play.)
2.) The production/convoy system is cumbersome and confusing and while most of the time I can make it do what I want, sometimes I just give up and let the programme do what it wants.
3.) I do not like that I cannot temporarily over-stack so that I can exchange units between or amoung hexes. The undo work-around that has been suggested works most of the time, but not in all instances, but is still an annoyance and requires extra time an patience to enable.
4.) The interface, in general, is cumbersome. I am already tired of having to click okay everytime I see a dialogue box of "switching to player1" or "switching to player2". 99% of the time it is obvious and is nothing more than an intrusion into the game flow.
5.) I dislike that he MV dialogue box that pops up everytime the game changes to a different country. I am well versed in global geography and do not need a roadmap to major locations around the world. I much prefer to use the Global Map. If there is a way to disable this function, I have been unable to discover it.
6.) I think that $100 is quite rich for a computer game. The manuals far exceed anything I have seen in a Computer or table-top board game, but I still think that the price is too high. I have said this for 20 years and I shall hopefully say it for another 20 years. A product that is only available through the post should include the cost of shipping, otherwise the company is misrepresenting the cost of their product. Yes I realize that the shipping cost can vary depending upon receipt location, but in todays world of actuaries and computers, a standardized price for shipments within the USA, within the EU, into Africa, etc., should not be a challenge. Similarly with customs and tariffs. I spent 15 years in International Sales and Marketing, so I am well aware the vagaries that customs agents around the globe can create in taxes and fees. However, I found little variance amoung agents within the EU and little motivation outside the EU for attempting to gouge consumers on items of low cost or value. Also, the shipping agent can have a huge impact upon how the customs agent taxes imports. I found FedEx and UPS to be the least co-operative in preparing the export/import documents in the manner most advantages to the consumer.
7.) I am disappointed that so many of the optional rules are not available. I know that I was made aware of this at the time of purchase. It is suppose to be a representation of the board game so all of the optional rules should work.

All and all, I am having a good time with the game and look forward to NetPlay being fully flushed out so that my mates can join me.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

A very fair and balanced post. Cheers. There are things you mentioned which provide fuel for possible improvements in the game, like the MV window and making the player switch happen automatically, perhaps via setting in the player interface. I hope Shannon has a chance to review your comments in between the bug-fixing.

BTW your current cost per hour of play is conservatively estimated at $1.47
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I like you remark about the MV screens. I don't use them either and also would like to see an option of not having them in the game.
Peter
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

It's interesting, I too found the MV tool irritating at first, but the more I've played the more useful I've found it. After all it was there so I started clicking on it. Now I wouldn't want to play without it anymore.

Of course, I'm playing on a laptop and don't have the screen real estate to have the global map showing at all.

Although, I do understand those of you who'd like to shut it off.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Empire101

Well after a massive 12hr download using DAP, I've finally got it after several failed attempts.
( Thank God I've got the hard copy coming too!! )

I'll unpack the ZIP file on my return from work.

By the way Neilster....what happened to your cool avatar of the Panzer recruiting poster?
I rather liked that one.[:)]
Yeah...that was cool but I made this MWiF Earth one. It's all part of my long running campaign for a spheroidal global map [;)]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

I like you remark about the MV screens. I don't use them either and also would like to see an option of not having them in the game.

I can confirm not using them (yet). On my second monitor they are harmless however.
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

Agreed as well. I have no need as they change the zoom level when you use them too. Turning it off would be nice.

I bought a 30" LCD that does 2560x1600 resolution to play Vassal as comfortably as possible.

In the past few years I've given up on Vassal simply because the mistakes I make accelerate as I age. [:(]

Currently my WIF-buddy and I are so close to playing online MWIF, I can taste it.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

It's interesting, I too found the MV tool irritating at first, but the more I've played the more useful I've found it. After all it was there so I started clicking on it. Now I wouldn't want to play without it anymore.

Of course, I'm playing on a laptop and don't have the screen real estate to have the global map showing at all.

I'm using a lap top too and they use parts of the screen I rather would like to put the Global Map into. Same with the SL screen. I have one screen layout and never change that one... Imagine what I could do if I put the Global Map a little higher... [:(] If you have a lone small monitor, those two forms aren't nice at all...
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

I'm using a lap top too and they use parts of the screen I rather would like to put the Global Map into. Same with the SL screen. I have one screen layout and never change that one... Imagine what I could do if I put the Global Map a little higher... [:(] If you have a lone small monitor, those two forms aren't nice at all...
Roll them up and position them 'beneath' the Selectable Units form (where it appears). You can also remove items from the MV List that you don't want; use the 'Delete' command from its popup menu and it will be deleted from the list - but not the disk.

I think you can also close the MV List and Redefine the Screen Layout so it never appears.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

I like to eat my breakfast outside, even in the winter so I take my hot grits, fruit crepes and Irish coffee onto the porch along with my Win8 10" tablet and play MWIF as I drink my next two or three cups of coffee. I need as much real estate as possible for the main map when I am using the tablet, so anything that is not essential for playing the game is an annoyance.

I do not know if it was intended, but I was surprised to discover that much of the game can be touch activated. Some that do not appear to work may be because the activation area on the screen is so small that I cannot hit it precisely enough with my fingers, for sure, nor the touch pen.
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I think you can also close the MV List and Redefine the Screen Layout so it never appears.

Thanks, I tried this early on and was unsuccessful, but I shall certainly give it another go.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Jaguar

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Thanks, I tried this early on and was unsuccessful, but I shall certainly give it another go.
You will need to Redefine the screen layout for each major power.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”