Canadian saved build points not saved

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Canadian saved build points not saved

Post by Courtenay »

The CW tried to save build points in Canada, and the program let them do so. They were on the map throughout the turn, but when the production step came, the build points silently vanished, for no effect. Below are pictures of the production planning screen, Toronto, and Montreal, taken early in the turn and during production. Four CW build points have mysteriously vanished. Rule 13.6.8 states that any CW home country may save and use saved build points.

Attachments
BuildPointBug.jpg
BuildPointBug.jpg (372.12 KiB) Viewed 62 times
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Courtenay

RE: Canadian saved build points not saved

Post by Courtenay »

I found out what caused this problem: Restoring the game from an autosave during the production step. This blanked out saved build points. This is still a bug, but one that has a very easy work-around: Don't restore games from the Production step.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I take it back; I went back to the oil step, started working from there, the Final Planning had the four build points on the map, but when I did production, they were gone. The Chinese also lost a saved build point this way.
The US lost all 13 that it had saved. The German, Italian, and Japanese saved build points, however, worked fine. I have no idea what is going on.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

There is a bug in the game that only allows you to save only 1 point in a city. This should be fixed shortly so until then, do not save more than 1 BP or Oil/city for now.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I only had one point saved in each city; they all went away.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes, I think we have two bugs here. Hopefully not a hatchery like in Aliens 2 though...
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Whatever mine is is intermittent. When it happened, I went back to saved game, and it happened again. Just now, out of frustration, I tried from the Oil usage autosave, and to my astonishment, everything worked; the saved build points were still there. I tried again with that autosave, and again it worked. I have no idea what happened when it did not work, but since I have had far more successful production steps than I have had unsuccessful ones, I would not worry about this bug unless I can figure out how to reproduce it.
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

I got this bug as well.

Got thru Italy production and it knew that it had 2 BP saved. It did it correctly, but it didnt see the Allied saved BPs (China, CW, and USA in my case).

I restored a save from the Italian production and it didnt fix it.

BUT I exited out of the game, restored to the last Finalize Production Planning step and when I got to Production it found the saved BPs. Whew.

Definitely seems like an issue with the Allies, as I never had an issue with it remembering the ITalian BPs.

One other thing that seems strange is when I decided to save 2 more BPs for Italy (for a total of 4), when it went to the form that allows you to pick where you save the BPs, all 4 had to be placed, even the ones that I had already saved the turn before. So somewhere in the code it is collecting up all the BPs prior to the Production screen, and it must be 'forgetting' the Allied ones somehow since they are after the Axis.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: markb50k
One other thing that seems strange is when I decided to save 2 more BPs for Italy (for a total of 4), when it went to the form that allows you to pick where you save the BPs, all 4 had to be placed, even the ones that I had already saved the turn before. So somewhere in the code it is collecting up all the BPs prior to the Production screen, and it must be 'forgetting' the Allied ones somehow since they are after the Axis.
I would not consider that a bug since each turn you should be able to move the saved BPs to other locations if you want. The rules don't say this, but you can spend the saved BPs and save the new BPs, so they are interchangeable anyway.
Paul
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

I agree that the mere fact it makes you replace all of them in itself is not a bug, but to do that Steve had to write code to "pick up" the BP, clearing them from the map. This I think is part of the issue.

To support this, I noticed that when I am in the Italian Production, even when it showed me having 4 BP (which included the 2 saved BP), if I inspected the Production Planning form (there is a button for it on the Production screen) it shows only the 2 BPs and 0 saved. So there is definitely a line of code or two that is clearing the map of BPs when you get to the Production screens, and I would bet that is allowing for this bug to show up.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: markb50k

I agree that the mere fact it makes you replace all of them in itself is not a bug, but to do that Steve had to write code to "pick up" the BP, clearing them from the map. This I think is part of the issue.

To support this, I noticed that when I am in the Italian Production, even when it showed me having 4 BP (which included the 2 saved BP), if I inspected the Production Planning form (there is a button for it on the Production screen) it shows only the 2 BPs and 0 saved. So there is definitely a line of code or two that is clearing the map of BPs when you get to the Production screens, and I would bet that is allowing for this bug to show up.
At the beginning of the Production phase, just before the form is shown, the program grabs all the possible BPs from the map and lets the player use them for production. There is a limit to how many can be used when there is a stack of saved BPs in one hex.

If you don't spend all your BPs during production, then you can save the excess where ever you like (within the rule restrictions). The only BPs left on the map at the beginning of the Production phase are those that cannot be used in Production that turn.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”