Touch Support

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Oloren_MatrixForum

Touch Support

Post by Oloren_MatrixForum »

Well, I just bought a Surface Pro 2 tablet. It runs WiTE just fine with a mouse and the type cover, but it looks like WiTE doesn't support touch in place of mouse clicks. Given that the game has been out for a while and most likely programmed before touch input was a serious consideration, I was nevertheless wondering if there were any plans for WiTE (or WiTW) to support touch input.

Oh, if anyone out there is wondering about the Surface Pro 2... It's awesome.

Oloren
tancred41

RE: Touch Support

Post by tancred41 »

Amazing ! Just yesterday, I was musing on the subject of a Surface 2 VS any other type of tablet, and idly throwing mental pros and cons about. Having read up a bit on the Surface 2, it seemed like the best solution for my specific needs - i.e., if I'm going to purchase a tablet form factor, I want it to basically be a lightweight laptop that can handle most of my favourite apps. I had not even considered WitE as playable on a tablet form factor, but along you come Oloren, and confirm that it works ! Touch or no touch, you just sealed my decision, thank you !!
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

The touch SHOULD just work as a mouse substitute. I have not played with the new Surface tablets but the older ones run WitE just fine with the touch substituting for the mouse. It will not do anything other than what the mouse allows you to do though. That would require some pretty massive changes in the UI for WitE.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I am using Windows 8 with a 27" touch screen, the touch screen function just mimics the normal mouse inputs you would use in the game, so 'touch support' is not a factor. The screen layout and in-game controls affect how easy it is to use under touch, as close-set game buttons and multiple key strokes are harder to operate with touch.

I can run WITE with touch, but it is not the easiest option, I find 'Time of Fury' works better, as the game screen is simpler, with wider spaced button icons and the mouse inputs which don't use right click so much. Any game using mouse controls can be operated with touch, but some games are better than others because of screen layout, however it is a new experience with gaming and has a good feel where it works well.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Touch works on my Yoga. Does not have enough fine control to move units, stage combats.
Oloren_MatrixForum

Post by Oloren_MatrixForum »

Thanks all. I'll give touch another shot. Seemed like it detected touch as a mouse click but did not respond like I thought. Anyway, will try again.

Oloren

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”