Best use of Finnish units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

jayemcee555

Best use of Finnish units

Post by jayemcee555 »

As a noob to this game I'm not sure what to do with the Finns.Playing against Soviet AI the position at start of turn 18
is as follows.
Finns have advanced 11 combat units to Svir line ,only to discover that 4 are about to withdraw (I said I was a noob!!)
During the previous couple of turns,the Germans managed to cross the Neva R and link up with the Finns there.The Soviets
now only hold NW Leningrad (80,15)
The Germans are holding all but 5 hexes of the Volkhov R line (and should be able to take the remainder during the snow turns)

My current thinking is as follows:
1 Withdraw the Finns from the Svir and build a line on hexes 82,0 82,2 and 82,3
2 Advance most of the remainder (of the Finns)to the Volkhov,where the could man up to 8 hexes

Would this be the best use? Of course I'm thinking in terms of how to survive the blizzard....less concerned at this point
of 1942 use of Finns

Finally a quick question on Finnish morale : distance from "no attack line"is calculated from the unit in question directly north to the line? eg a unit on 94,17 would have morale threshold of 65-7=58 , whereas one on 83,17 would have MT of 65-5=60
Currently Finnish morale in range 74-80...so no big deal?
swkuh

RE: Best use of Finnish units

Post by swkuh »

IIRC, once Leningrad falls you can use the Finns to hold the mouth and more of the Volkhov (as you know,) but where else can they go? Finns beat Soviets at blizzard time (seems) so no problem. Finns eventually wear out in '42 and later.

Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

In my curent game against the AI ,I have sent almost everything east of Ladoga except a corps belonging to Kanas army which is used as garison once Leningrad had fallen .

you can brake down the finns into regiments so 3-4 divisions in enogh to man the volkov if the germans do the same .

I would advice against falling back from the Svir .
Maximeba

Post by Maximeba »

The Finns best use......less.[:)]
Wes
Allies Forever
Tuhhodge

Post by Tuhhodge »

Good for slipping through narrow gaps in enemy lines....

[:D]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”