I saw Two Towers tonight

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

scimitar

Post by scimitar »

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1

3 hours...man I could have sat through 4 hours and smiled all the while.
When the last one is finally shown, I will go out and likely buy some all inclusive release, so I can do an all at once complete viewing (I like anime though, and often watch an entire series in one go, like watch all 12 hours of Neon Genesis Evangelion).

Same intention for me, Les...:D :D :D
Pour une dent toute la gueule!
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Best fiction I have ever read though, is still the Dune series.
But Tolkien rules my number one slot in Fantasy Literaure.
I am glad they didn't ruin it like they did the movie Dune.
Now that film I hated.

Right on, Les. I had great hopes for Dune as a film, and it was garbage.

So, what do ya think? Can we get 'em to do a film trilogy of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation," "Foundation and Empire," and "Second Foundation?" Or will they ruin that, too (like they did Heinlein's "Starship Troopers")?
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Hmmm Foundation eh... nice idea all things considered.

Are you aware though, that several other books have been written for that series?

I don't have all the names at this moment, but I think there is like 4 other titles out there (I have them, just can't recall them, and to lazy to go upstairs at look at this time hehe).

Another nice target would also be to film 2061 and 3001 which polishes off a great story line as well.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
scimitar

Post by scimitar »

Hmmm Foundation eh... nice idea all things considered.

Are you aware though, that several other books have been written for that series?

I don't have all the names at this moment, but I think there is like 4 other titles out there (I have them, just can't recall them, and to lazy to go upstairs at look at this time hehe).

Other titles are:
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and earth

There are also other books based on foundation and written by other authors than Asimov (after his death); I've read the first of those books but I didn't like them (can't remember the title: Foundation endangered or something like that...): it was not written by Asimov, period.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yep got those titles.

I always liked the way Azimov could write a great story with small words heheh. Not all authors require big wordy sentences to make a good story fortunately.
scimitar

Post by scimitar »

Les,

in the introduction of one of the Foundation's books, Asimov gives a list of all his romans and novels that could be linked with Foundation to make a kind of "big history of the Humanity". That begins with the Robot series, pursuing with Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw stories, then the birth and grow of the Empire, and finally Foundation. I've read all those books in that order; it was great. Did you make that too?
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

No have not had the pleasure of some of the other works yet, but I know of some of the names.
Sami

LOTR

Post by Sami »

Saw it the other night.
****, it was good.

I was a bit disappointed by the 'quick' end of the Battle of Helms Deep (where was the forest of thos half-ents taking care of the rest of the damned orcs & Uruk-Hais?). I guess Jackson ran into time problems, the 3 hour margin pressing the man to cut scenes out of the final version.

But Helms Deep was very close to what I had visualized myself reading the book, and especially the Isengard Army nearing as a sea of torches was fabulous.

As another oddity in the movie was that the rohirrim, saving the day at Helms Deep, rode down a slope that was pretty **** steep (IMHO), but then again, the Riders of Rohan are the best riders in Middle Earth.

Cheers,
Sami

P.S. My wife is among those uncivilized who hasn't read the book. She liked the 1st movie, and just hours before I showed her one of the maps of Middle Earth I have. We had watched the 1st movie on DVD as a refreshment the night before and she was puzzled by all the places mentioned.
It was funny that Faramir & pals inspected a somewhat identical map in the movie.
:)
Unknown_Enemy

Post by Unknown_Enemy »

The movie was ok, bot a few points disappointed me.

Gollum. In the film, he is just a schizophrene hearing different personalities voices in his head. In the book every single act he did was intended to let him take back the ring.

Gripoil. Gandalf's horse (can't remember the name'stranslation) . Hell !!! He was white !!???!!!!! He is a grey horse !!!????!!!!

As a whole, good film, but the first one was better.

I have some hope for the the return of the king.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Yaah ! Yaah ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !
U2

Post by U2 »

Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
The Ents rock ! When reading the books I envisioned them a bit more massive. But hell, they are really cool !

They quickly became my favourites too Marc:)

Dan
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

I read LOTR every 10 years or so (the only books I read more than once, besides the Dune series, of which I am reading the last one, House Corrino, now) and I have to say I was a little disappointed. I can't exactly put my finger on why I was disappointed. I guess it could be that I expected too much.

Dune would be great to be redone. There have been 2 attempts at it and they both sucked. IIRC, there are 2 previous versions of LOTRs and they both sucked too, so maybe the third times the charm for Dune also. I doubt it though because Frank Herbert's universe is far more complex than Tolkein's.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
screamer

Post by screamer »

they are great, both of em mister Jackson is writing movie history.
But my brother should hurry up with the book of 2towers, he is ''reading'' for 6months now so i didnt get the chance to read the book before seeing the movie. I was a bit disappointed about fellowship because the didnt include the part about the living forrest with the singing chap [forgot his name, anyway i would only know his name in dutch] and about the gravehills.

is the silmarillion worth buying??
poep
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Yes, for sure, if you like Tolkien, but it can be hard to follow at times ;).
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

Originally posted by screamer
they are great, both of em mister Jackson is writing movie history.
But my brother should hurry up with the book of 2towers, he is ''reading'' for 6months now so i didnt get the chance to read the book before seeing the movie. I was a bit disappointed about fellowship because the didnt include the part about the living forrest with the singing chap [forgot his name, anyway i would only know his name in dutch] and about the gravehills.

Tom Bombadil was his name IIRC and he would have been great to have in the movie for sure. We call gravehills, "barrows" in English (if you care).

I didn't like Silmarillion as a kid. Maybe I should give it another try.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Hoplosternum

Post by Hoplosternum »

Well I did NOT like Two Towers :)

Perhaps I am just too much of a Tolkien fan but the film just made huge changes for changes sake. They have changed a lot of the characters motivations and personalities usually for the worse. Faramir, Theoden, Treebeard and Elrond all got the treatment this time round.

The first film made some big changes too but at least it kept up a good pace as an action movie. Most of the changes seemed to be made to help keep the story a manageable length and keeping up the excitement. I did not like everything that was done but I understood why most of the changes were made.

This one kept swapping around between the story lines and dream sequences and I found it quite confusing at times. Most of the changes just made the story worse. Faramir is bad and greedy not good and wise. Why? It did not add to the excitement, shorten the film or add to the plot for none Tolkein fans. For those who liked and know the book it just irritates.

Some bits were just awful. The charge down a 45 degree slope at the end and Legolas's surfboarding down the stairs firing arrows - oh dear ;) Well at least you could laugh at them :)

It was not all bad, the Ents attack on Isenguard was good and so were some of the fight scenes. I thought Gollum was well done. In the book he does appear to have a chance of redemption and the film did that quite well.

For those of you wondering about the Simarilion it is more of a history book containing a few short stories. I really like it but I think you would have to be a fan of Tolkien to get much out of it. If you read the history appendixes at the end of The Return of the King (LotR last book) and liked them then you will love the Silmarilion. If you hated them or never bothered to look then don't bother.
Allies vs Belphegor Jul 43 2.5:2.5 in CVs
Allies vs Drex Mar 43 0.5:3 down in CVs
Japan vs LtFghtr Jun 42 3:2 down in CVs
Allies vs LtFghtr Mar 42 0:1 down in CVs
(SEAC, China) in 3v3 Apr 42
Allies vs Mogami Mar 42 0:1 down in CVs

Return to “General Discussion”