Who do we add next?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

CapnDarwin

Who do we add next?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Just so folks know we are already planning ahead with additional content for Red Storm, what countries would you like added to the game next?

You can pick more than one if you like.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
BAL

RE: Who do we add next?

Post by BAL »

Tough choice but I picked the East Germans. There was a school of thought at the time that the NVA would have no problems fighting against their brother Germans.
I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

What about is one? [:'(]

[X] All of the above

Picked East Germany, but Poland was up there. Got to have the whole Warsaw Pact [:)]
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I would have put different choices.

Warsaw Pact
Finland
NATO Low Countries
Canada
France
Spain
Turkey

Then we could get an idea of what area people want to fight in. [:D]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
BAL

Post by BAL »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

I would have put different choices.

Warsaw Pact
Finland
NATO Low Countries
Canada
France
Spain
Turkey

Then we could get an idea of what area people want to fight in. [:D]

Good Hunting.

MR

Good ideas. I'd add the Balkans to the list, also.
I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The starts to get into other fronts and will be a subject of a follow on poll. Right now I'm looking for central Europe only. No doubt I want to do a north and south modules. Need to see Sweden for those bad ass S-tanks and Viggens.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Finland would be a cool expansion aswell..ski troops and what not..do they still have ski troops these days?

However I think East Germans should be first to give Warsaw Pact some more teeth...then move onto other allied nations. US Marines will appeal to the American wargamers..but I'm not sure if their the best choice for a European War when some nations aren't in yet. I think different armed services should come after the main nations and main battlefields have been done.

One Europe is done then you could expand the war to different theaters including the Mid East which will tie in abit with your Mid East game idea..
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

A little question, how many nations you plan add in the add-on??? maybe this is needed to the poll.

Apart the suggested nations i miss the minors in the east Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria... to face the NATO external ring with Greece and Turkey... maybe this could be other pack if the 1st cover the main NATO and WP apart dont delay a lot ME title.

PD: other question are the minors between minors like Spain, Portugal and Italy... maybe as expeditionary forces can appear in all fronts.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Red Storm is a summer event. Much like the Summer Olympics. No winter equipment.

Good Hunting.

MR

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, WP can invade Finland in summer to... maybe is better for them hehehe.

Question is how many add-ons plan you guys to complete the 80s WWIII scen in Europe... i think 2 is enough, over this... excesive.

PD: then how many nations are the number for an add-on??? 4-6-8???
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Good question. The way this team works, when we get ready to release the expansions or modules, we'll let you know. Because where we start is rarely where we have ended up and with us anything is possible.

Good Hunting.

MR

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Then for me the 1st add-on needs minimun of 4 nations... i think in France+Belgium and East germany+Poland but maybe add 2 more nations could be interesting... maybe Denmark and Czech.

I dont see very well "sell" subfactions like marines or airborne units... you can add them in patches as bonus or similar but to expand nations rooster maybe is better center in true nations.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

There will need to be discussions both with Matrix and in house about the what's, when's and how's of additional content. I personally would like to see both the occasional freebies with updates and also packaged add ons with new maps, scenarios and countries. These are all things to be worked out after the game releases. Right now it is all idle speculation. [:D]

wodin

Post by wodin »

Is there any chnace we can see the war going into the Winter with an expansion?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@ Wodin - We have discussed the need for having seasonal maps at some point. One hurdle to overcome is the need to redo a map from scratch in the Hexdraw software. Also would need to make the auto map values program capable of doing different seasons. Not impossible I would think.

BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

U.S.M.C. but I'm a tad bit biased :-). No I wasn't a Marine but I served alongside them at Beirut International Airport (and no I wasn't a Doc [8D] ).
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I have a lot of USMC Brothers as well. They will be showing up. Sooner than later I would expect.

Good Hunting.

MR

BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Well other than a potential amphibious landing near Bremen, Kiel or Norway the only role we (USMC/Navy Amphibious units) had vs. the WP was really in the Med and ME. I doubt the old, slow brown water navy of that era could have gotten into the Bremen area past the Backfires. I suspect the Iwo Jima Class vessels would have made nice artificial reefs in the North Sea. That said, an amphibious landing near Bremen or Kiel could be a fun scenario but know there are other more pertinent/pressing priorities. Just had to have some fun. [:D]
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

I voted Canada as it would allow playing out the First Clash scenario by Kenneth Macksey. Also small force and more easily added into the picture I'd imagine.

Also depending on when in the 80's the scenario takes place the possibility for defection of Wp nations looms.
jday305

Post by jday305 »

I remember a World War 111 board game in the 90's that not only had central Europe as the main game but one expansion game included Norway, Sweden and Finland in the North. The second expansion game included southern Europe countries like Yugoslyvia through Greece and Turkey. Finally, a third expansion game of middle east countries. All the maps fit together to make one huge war game and every country was represented including every country mentioned in this forum; giving the players a chance to play them all. I don't know if this will be ultimately Red Storms goal but it was interesting to see each country's different military strenghts and weaknesses. Anyone remember this game series. I wish I didn't loose these games over the years.
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”